Thread: amiteur mma question

amiteur mma question

kung fu monkeys i have question for yall
    i want to break into mma but i am not satisified with the gym i am training at and due to money and other things i wish to persue a creer in mma but remain unafiliated with any gym

i habe fiv e years of goju ryu under my belt seven years of boxing a year of bjj and im begging judo right now

does any body know the amaiteur mma organizatuions i could contact that woud give me fights?

any advice would be most appreciated thank you

first off pick a great school that already fights, train hard - tell your coach you want to fight, when you're ready you'll fight

Well, it depends on where you live.

I would do what Chino says. Find an active school and let them get you fights. You can go out and get your own, but it's risky. Besides, if you aren't actively training with fighters, I wouldn't count on winning too much, anyway.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

actually the gym let me spar with one of there amateur fighters early on and i beat him and thats based off what i allready knew going in there

i was at t's ko gym in colorado but the twits didnt do **** for me
    they said oh youll be ready in year to fight right so i trained and kept asking them okay am i ready for different training you know to step it up
    and they said yeah yeah sure but then they wouldnt do a **** thing for me and i got annoyed and left
    all i really need them for was contacts to promoters basically and that why i wanna do it by myself
    i have a great wrestling coach at hand
    and im gonna soon start traiing at a judo school that produced olmpic athletes

im a litle behind on my grappling but my stand up is superb has been for years

basically dont wanna join a gym because i dont like the idea of being somebodys boy ya know and the quality of gym arent that great here and many are too far away im not saying i wanna fight tmorrow but im definetly ready with in this year
    to start.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    actually the gym let me spar with one of there amateur fighters early on and i beat him and thats based off what i allready knew going in there
    You beat some amateur in a sparring match. It's not like you tapped Fedor or something. That kid could have had 6 months of training compared to your years of boxing, etc...

i was at t's ko gym in colorado but the twits didnt do **** for me
    they said oh youll be ready in year to fight right so i trained and kept asking them okay am i ready for different training you know to step it up
    and they said yeah yeah sure but then they wouldnt do a **** thing for me and i got annoyed and left
    all i really need them for was contacts to promoters basically and that why i wanna do it by myself
    Maybe you were at a sh1tty school. Or maybe they just didn't think you were ready to fight. Or maybe you can fight, but you weren't committed or they didn't like your attitude, so they just ignored you. Lots of factors could be in play.

basically dont wanna join a gym because i dont like the idea of being somebodys boy ya know and the quality of gym arent that great here and many are too far away im not saying i wanna fight tmorrow but im definetly ready with in this year to start.
    If you don't have people to train with, you aren't going to get very far. That's just life. Find some local promoter and sign up for a fight if you think you are ready. They'll take you. Amateurs are a dime a dozen.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Go to the amateur fights in your area. See what gyms the better fighters are training at and go check them out.

Most amateur fighters fight local, so most of the fighter's gyms will be in your area.

MasterKiller is also giving you good advice you should take into consideration as well.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

i didnt say i fought fedor remeber i wanna fight amatuer so i i can beat and amatuer fighter then im ready
    and no the guys been there for two years allready and has been doing martila arts for god knows how long he was the same weight and height as me as well

perhaps it is a ****ty school and perhaps there are a lot of ****ty schools in colrado so if i leave i dont wanna waste my time at any other place but my dedication was not a factor outside of the fighters i one of the only two or three people there that go everyday to train

i look into finding a promoter thank you

If you go to the amateur events in your area you can meet up with promoters or people who handle fighters. I would suggest finding a coach to at least have someone in your corner when you fight, and give you feedback on what you need to improve.

look for a manager, look for cards in your area, look for trainers that are associated with organized cards.

yellow pages, interweb, your phone.

you could be fighting in as early as a week or two if you applied yourself.

also, it is in your best interest to not be a pushy annoyed person. people skills will take you far. Nobody can read your mind and nobody cares about you until you have something to offer them, not the other way round.

know your role, stick to it, climb.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

oh yeah i have a wrestling coach i wanna put in my corner
    the only thing i need is more grappling
    even the gym i was at told me they cant really do much more for me stand up wise
    i plan on shootting for one in about four five months to at least establish myself before i leave for virginia

yeah im a good people person so shmoozing about i can do easily
    thanx guys!

If you're doing MMA, I suggest having a MMA coach in your corner.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

A friend of mine here in Texas comes from Colorado and recently fought out of his old gym on a card in Colorado. he's got good skills. i'll ask him about the CO scene next time i see him.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

thanks porck chop!