Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenpo

Kenpo

whats the difference between Kung fu and Kenpo? A little confused i was thinking that kenpo is like karate mixed with kung fu am i correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    whats the difference between Kung fu and Kenpo? A little confused i was thinking that kenpo is like karate mixed with kung fu am i correct?
    It's pronounced Kempo although written kenpo (go figure). Kempo is a few things.

one is that it is mixed interpretation of Chinese martial arts. the japanse versions being the best really.

another one is that it is the mixed knowledge coagulated into american martial arts as distributed by Ed Parker, hence "kempo karate"

later iterations are variations of those two things, but yeah it is a mix of karate and kungfu more often than not. unless you are in Japan, where it is what it is.

It would seem taht every different school of Kempo has an entirely different curriculum from which they teach and learn martial arts.

like anything, some schools are good and others not so much.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

thanks for the help yeah i see it written as kenpo all the time i figured it was right but would kempo kung fu kind of be ruined due to the complete opposites in technique of karate and kung fu? i kinda think it would.

thanks for the help yeah i see it written as kenpo all the time i figured it was right but would kempo kung fu kind of be ruined due to the complete opposites in technique of karate and kung fu? i kinda think it would.
    punch, kick, lock and throw.

that's all there really is, the dancing in between is transitional.

If it's hard to understand, it ain't likely to be useful in combat anyway. :-)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

since when is karate "opposed" to kung fu (the umbrella term for hundreds of very different arts)

????
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Well karate is slower and more rigid where as kung fu is flowy and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    since when is karate "opposed" to kung fu (the umbrella term for hundreds of very different arts)

????
    Kung fu usually specifically refers to the Martial Arts style that comes from China. Its not really the umbrella name for all styles of martial arts either, perhaps you are thinking of the term wushu.

CMA and Karate does have many similarities, but are also very different in many ways.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

I agree with you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    nonesnse. Good, authentic, Karate is fast and fluid.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    ... one is that it is mixed interpretation of Chinese martial arts. the japanse versions being the best really.

another one is that it is the mixed knowledge coagulated into american martial arts as distributed by Ed Parker, hence "kempo karate"

later iterations are variations of those two things, but yeah it is a mix of karate and kungfu more often than not. unless you are in Japan, where it is what it is.
    Kind of. There are lots of different kempo styles. There's American kempo, which has a lot in it, most of which is from Ed Parker. Within Japanese kempo, the two main styles are both called Shorinji Kempo. One of these is Okinawan which is pretty cool and as old as most other Okinawan karate (110-120 or so) and the other is modern mainland Japanese karate, and the name was chosen literally because the founder thought it sounded cool, and has nothing but a fleeting relation to kung fu.

I know you said Japanese kempo is what it is, but just to clarify, neither shorinji kempo is a mix of karate and kung fu: Okinawan is an Okinawan karate style, which like any other Okinawan karate means it’s a mix of traditional Okinawan fighting techniques with elements of kung fu thrown in… that’s what karate is; and mainland shorinji is made-up karate with no relation to kung fu.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

You should try learning one. Or both. These statements are ludicrously mistaken over-generalizations.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

High level Karate looks pretty much like Kung Fu. It's all the same, different roads to one location.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

bah idk, i just like kung fu better XD

bah idk, i just like kung fu better XD
    LOL, fair enough!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    why didn't ya just say so in the first place?!
    Sure. The main difference between Kung-Fu and Karate is,

Kung-Fu is cooler!
    -we all know that.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.