Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Kenpo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr_gE1KWUf8hackney is a great streetfighter he took the fit wrestler off him then tore his throat out with a tiger claw KENPO ROCKS...

http://www.hackneyscombat.com/instructors.html

dude Hackney threw out the tiger claw now he strictly mma, say it ain't so....NOOOOOOO

"
    Status: offline Kenpo system founded by Tom Saviano, based off of John McSweeney's Kenpo. Incorportates aspects of Goju Shorie Karate, Kang Chwan Do Kung Fu, Boxing, Brazilian Juijitsu, and wrestling. The system name originally started out as a school name that began in 1982. Over the years, the name became a label to the system being taught. An off shoot of Parker's Kenpo from the early 1960's.

History of System Evolution

When Tom Saviano began with John McSweeney in 1980, he had already been a practitioner of the martial arts since 1964. John McSweeney's Kenpo, at that time, had been paired down to 24 base techniques with variations being taught to his students. Also a part of the McSweeney's system was unarmed defense against knife, club, and handgun. You also where required to learn armed defense; yawara, knife, club and hand gun (point shooting).

Forms

John McSweeney had removed all forms as he felt the old forms no longer fit within his new system of Kenpo. It was Tom Saviano who re-introduced forms into the system. He took the original 24 and modified them into the form. Originally his black belt thesis form, it was then seperated into 3 forms and added to McSweeney's Kenpo.

Other Styles Added When Tom Saviano started his school, besided the original 24 techniques, he also taught his students modified aspects of Goju Shorie and Kang Chwan Do Kung Fu. As the years moved along, aspects of other systems where added.

During the early UFC craze, grappling had been slowly incorporated. Borrowing from Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and western style wrestling. It was during that time that the White Tiger Kenpo received more national and international exposure through Keith Hackney, when he fought the largest fighter to enter the UFC. The first strike used that was mislabeled as a "wild right", was actually a common strike in the system. Modified for the great height disparity, the strike is actually called a Tiger Strike. A modified strike from the Crane style of Kung Fu originally a part of John McSweeney's system.

Changes to Techniques

It was around the year 1998, that the techniques of the system went through some changes and additions. It was one of Tom Saviano's black belts, Zoran Sevic, that first came to him about the fact that the system had changed beyond what was written into the curriculum. After which, the techniques went to 28 base techniques. Many of the original techniques were modified and some were removed as well. Over the years, through Tom Saviano and input from many of his black belts, the number increased to 30. All of which was accepted by his instructor, John McSweeney. "
    Last edited by diego; 05-09-2009 at 08:17 AM.

God i hate mma with a passion XD and i don't rummage through youtube mainly because most of the posted videos on martial arts there noone knows what style they are so i gave up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    God i hate mma with a passion XD and i don't rummage through youtube mainly because most of the posted videos on martial arts there noone knows what style they are so i gave up on that.
    why because they are excellent fighters who actively move martial arts forward and are incredible athletes?
    do you hate that theyre probably better fighters than you
    and regardless of what style you train in you'l never be half the fighter they will?

does that bother you?

so your saying you havent done alot of research and havent seen alot then?

man ahah i dont know why i bother i suppose you'l overcome your very immature view that MMA sucks once one day when you get your ass handed to you by someone who trains it.
    how old are you i remember saying stuff like "karate is rigid kung fu is fluid" when i was about 12

silly silly person
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Oh yes definately THE BEST athletes ever! psh XD

Since when does everybody HAVE to be a mma fan?
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

No i do not like them because they don't bother to learn anything street practical yet alot of schools try to make it seem like it is. It also seems that they just take moves from certain styles without even halfway practicing that style of martial art. The Mixed martial arts that Bruce Lee created was much better than what is shown all ove the tv now a days. The sport of beating each other in a cage sounds like the more immature thing to me really. I just don't like it i'm not allowed to have my opinions?

Pork Chop what do you mean by that on my side, or his XD

Now i'm not trying to put jujitsu hell i like jujitsu and judo, just saying that those people fighting on tv are not really learning a true style of martial art. Martial arts were made for defense not for sport =]. Now sure you know martial arts and everything but you don't have to go bashing peoples skulls in lol. Also i was wrong earlier noone can really be the Best athlete just depends what your doing for strength yeah MMA workout has alot of it. But speed agility a kung fu workout is more likely suited to this. Therefore this argument, i say, Truce XD.

Pork Chop what do you mean by that on my side, or his XD
    I don't really like mma, especially now that Pride's gone.
    I respect it, but I'm not a huge fan.
    There was an actual muay thai circuit here in Texas prior to mma getting huge.
    There were a lot more san shou events before the first episode of TUF than now too.
    Can anybody even remember the last time K-1 in the States made any news?

I train with mma guys, and way too many of them are "a little bit of this, a little bit of that".
    There was all-in fighting well before it was called mma, and there will be all-in fighting long after this current fad dies down (I don't think mma is a fad, I think it's current level of popularity is fad-ish).
    I don't think they've given back all that much to martial arts, I know for myself there are d@mn few opportunities to compete as a direct result of the mma explosion.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Martial arts were made for defense not for sport =].
    Or both, among other things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWFjvnFCivg

A very good rendition of one of the basic Shotokan katas. It's linear, but no more than, say, some of the Hung Gar forms (that I have seen)...
    Last edited by Wood Dragon; 05-10-2009 at 01:05 AM.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

No i do not like them because they don't bother to learn anything street practical.
    okay yeah nothing practical

where the hell do these people come from?! jesus christ

i've defended myself many many times with my mixed martial arts

and they are actually brilliant athletes
    they practise 5-6 hours every day and get each technique down perfect

seriously go and take an MMA class and then say the same thing because its blatantly obvious you know nothing about martial arts

Now i'm not trying to put jujitsu hell i like jujitsu and judo, just saying that those people fighting on tv are not really learning a true style of martial art. Martial arts were made for defense not for sport =]. Now sure you know martial arts and everything but you don't have to go bashing peoples skulls in lol. Also i was wrong earlier noone can really be the Best athlete just depends what your doing for strength yeah MMA workout has alot of it. But speed agility a kung fu workout is more likely suited to this. Therefore this argument, i say, Truce XD.
    not a true style? ahah you realise all martial arts are mixtures of all other martial arts???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3M4VacJ4NU
    watch all of that and tell me theres no agility involved in mma

sorry if it doesnt look enough like a shaw brothers movie for you

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    we used to spar with the rule,"If it goes to the ground, finish it on the ground" long before I've ever seen UFC and MMA. This is the way my friends and I sparred, and I continued it with my students, only now we're doing it with better technique and proper training methods. It only raises the bar and your awareness.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.