Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Kenpo

Well i wouldn't say finish on the ground exactly.. maybe if you know ground fighting very well, else i would say that you should try to get up as much as possible. And not all martial arts are mixtures of others how do you think martial arts began? Those arts long ago were just formed for self defense when weapons weren't really an option in China that is what i heard, i don't know about Japan

Well I agree Ten it is good to know ground fighting but don't always rely on it because if your facing multiple enemies on the ground it's not very hard for them to beat you there and one could grab a rock bottle or something else to pummel you with. My advice learn to fight standing up, and on the ground.

Well you live in the UK, not sure if you see the same UFC stuff that's on our tv screens.

But you have to admit when did MMA become most popular? When UFC started to show now ok if your learning it so you can fight in UFC it's most likely not street practical due to the violations of techniques, they wouldn't bother to teach you because it would be no use anyway, But if its not strictly for mma and you are learning street no rules fighting i could see that being more street ready :].

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    Well i wouldn't say finish on the ground exactly.. maybe if you know ground fighting very well, else i would say that you should try to get up as much as possible. And not all martial arts are mixtures of others how do you think martial arts began? Those arts long ago were just formed for self defense when weapons weren't really an option in China that is what i heard, i don't know about Japan
    you heard wrong

people have been fighting since the dawn of time
    people mixed various techniques they saw
    made that a style
    saw anotehr style
    madea new style
    its all just names!

mixed martial arts means taking the best from everywhere and unless you have really gone and tried wrestling and gropund fighting dont talk about weither its useful or not!

its another skill in your tool box in a group fight true i'l stay on my feet but tis not like MMA is all about groundfighting

you really dont know alot do you
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

I have done ground fighting before. Ok yeah of course I'm not saying it's all about ground fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    But you have to admit when did MMA become most popular? When UFC started to show now ok if your learning it so you can fight in UFC it's most likely not street practical due to the violations of techniques, they wouldn't bother to teach you because it would be no use anyway, But if its not strictly for mma and you are learning street no rules fighting i could see that being more street ready :].
    the only things your not allowed to do in MMA is bite gouge and groin strike

if i can hit you in the face i can poke you in the eyes
    if i can kick you in the head i can kick you in the groin

i dotn need some special "traditional forms uber deadly training" to fight dirty

fights are won with basics
    jab
    cross
    kick
    hook
    grapple
    stamp
    dodge
    and block
    and thats what i train
    and if you think that isnt "street practical" because theres a professional venue with a minimum ruleset then you are deluded

tell you what
    go attack mike tyson
    you should win right cos he's used to just fighting with gloves on

you should definitley have the upperhand
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Ok i will , god your smug.

Oh, and would me and mike tyson, be like you fighting a shaolin monk?

I think that this article really inteliigently answers the difference between street and sport:

http://jkdunlimited.com/articles/by-...reet-vs-sport/

I am applying this training methodology to my hap gar and it works brilliantly. you do not have to give up all of your 'street' type techniques just because you use an mma type training method

Golden Arhat:
    "if i can hit you in the face i can poke you in the eyes
    if i can kick you in the head i can kick you in the groin"
    I don't think this is necessarily true.
    Firstly, the groin kick is really easy against an MMA type of clinch structure. If you put the groin kick into the sparring (Go light and wear a good cup!) you will automatically turn your front foot and knee in (Like a kung fu bow stance!) to protect. If you don't prasctise this way, you will not develop the correct defence.
    The eye poke can be used in a number of clinch or ground positions when a punch is not possible. Again, you have to have good groundfighting or clinch basics to use it. Even then, it may not be a 'fight stopper' but it will certainly force your opponent to move and therefore create space for escapes or other strikes etc.

To me the sport of mma is not as exciting as the training methods that have evolved out of it. I see no reason why we cannot use those methods as a way of improving our ability to apply the techniques in our own systems.

My Sifu is 5th generation kung fu master and about as traditional as they come. He said to me:
    "Mobile phones get better every year. Why shouldn't kung fu?"

Last edited by RisingCrane; 05-10-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingCrane View Post
    My Sifu is 5th generation kung fu master and about as traditional as they come. He said to me:
    "Mobile phones get better every year. Why shouldn't kung fu?"

Beautiful!-this should be on everyone's wall. I know it will be on mine!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Lmao nice post guys i agree with Rising

mma is cool by me.

th way it's marketed like fake ass wrestling is in bad taste.

but hey, when you are marketing to teenagers, that's how you do it apparently.

seeing as most teenagers live in a very fantasy based and unrealistic view of the world, why not promote it that way to take their dough?

having been a teenager, i speak the truthage!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Pretty much the view i was trying to get across.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post

mixed martial arts means taking the best from everywhere and unless you have really gone and tried wrestling and gropund fighting dont talk about weither its useful or not!

Well said.