Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what's your age and experience ?

Quote Originally Posted by wetwonder View Post
    I'm of course unworthy. Dreamed about learning for 40 years. Started at 46, 5 months ago with Hung Gar. Through first form and now learning 4-part two person self defense. My forarms, just above each wrist, are very swollen tonight.
    walk with honor, your Sifu is proud, so are we.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

I'm of course unworthy. Dreamed about learning for 40 years. Started at 46, 5 months ago with Hung Gar. Through first form and now learning 4-part two person self defense. My forarms, just above each wrist, are very swollen tonight.
    Everyone, no matter the experience or certificates on the wall, is still a student and constantly learns. It's when you stop learning and you think you know it all that you become unworthy. Just keep learning.
    Last edited by xcakid; 05-08-2009 at 11:16 AM.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Oh Ten, I did recently meet Jerry Battle. He'd taken off for an injury I think so hadn't been around. He is very fast.
    Dude, tell Jerry that Pork Chop wants some more yardbird (and black bean sauce)!

for myself, uhhh seems like i do one of these like every 6 months to a year...
    sorry if this is long-winded, but I've bounced around a bit.

gonna be 32 this year.

-when i was in 7th grade i did TKD for a few months till I took a nasty fall and bruised my hip - the floor was this hard rubber that would really tear up your feet.

-January 1994, at age 16, I took my first class with Norm Burland, who came up in Tang Soo Do, then went to Green Dragon (SL Martin style) in Hawaii, moved to Okinawa & trained with Masamitsu Hokama (Yang, Chen, & simplified Taiji, Hsing Yi, and Bagua), before joining the Japanese Wushu Taiji Federation (JWTF) to do competition Taiji full time. He was instructor level in all of those places I listed. I s*cked bad at first, but I kept going every day for a year and a half before going to college and got okay. Got to train with him a couple times after that, on vacations and such. He passed away in 04. My training under him was mostly focused on hsing yi and competition taiji.

-In 1998 I started doing mantis (wah lum & 7*) and Yang Taiji in Austin. Trained there for 6 months, took a break to go back to school, came back and trained for a solid year. My training there was mostly focused on the basic wah lum mini-sets, chin woo forms, and one 7* form. Also trained a few months of Shuai Chiao during that time, mostly learning/practicing breakfalls - only randori'd like once.

-In 2001 I learned some fundamentals of sanshou, shuai chiao, & boxing with Li Yi-Yuan from Taiwan (current US National team coach I guess). Trained with him for around 4 months while he was getting ready for competition. I was his ragdoll & his lifting partner. Picked up a decent sidekick & decent jab.

-In 2002 I joined the Wongs in DC for Jow Ga. Did a LOT of lion dance performances. Pretty much a fulltime student there for 2 years, my time at the school tapered off towards the end of the second year. One of the instructors there has a lot of sanshou & thai experience and really taught me a lot; eventhough sportfighting competitions were not a priority of the school.

-In 2003 I met suntzu from this very forum & started training san shou and boxing fulltime as part of Baltimore San Shou. Pretty quickly, I was more interested in the sport stuff and by the end of the year I was barely doing kung fu at all. I never really stopped training this altogether, as I still keep in touch with the guys and occasionally go back to train, but by 2004 I realized I needed a little more guidance & a head coach that was going to be around more often.

-So in 2004 I started training muay thai with Khun Kao from this forum (and many others) and his trainer at the time Danny from Thailand (Bumrung Prawatsrichai). I'd see 'em on the weekends for a lot of technique work & a little sparring, then train full time at my local boxing gym (with Sugar Ray's brother Roger Leonard) for more sparring & bag/pad work.

-2006 I moved to Fort Worth. Started training at Armadillo boxing gym & New World Combat for muay thai. Training here was either hot or cold till I moved in November of 07.

-March 2008 I joined Shadow Fist (aka Sinlapa Muay Thai aka SitVongPhet), a muay thai gym in San Antonio. Trained for a few months & left to join a swim team to do something about my weight once I realized that the coach was negative about me fighting unless I dropped a weight class. The swimming didn't help much, made me realize you can be in shape and not look ripped. Joined AliveMMA (previously Power Team) before Halloween, strictly to work stand up with my coworkers. Back at the muay thai gym since January of this year. Rib injury aside, I'm hanging with all the heavyweights and am more focused on being in shape & being able to do awesomeness than being obsessed about my weight.

EDIT: Minor stuff, but in 03 I also trained with Russian Alex (san shou) for 3 months, Baltimore Boxing for 2 months, and Baltimore Judo (Bill Anderson) for 2 months. In 04 I got on a kung fu kick and trained Hung Gar with Jerry Battle for a few months before the 2 hour drive really started killing me. In 05 I trained BJJ for a month and a half before a spaz student, who was close with the teacher, smacked my head on a hardwood floor & damaged my retina (now 100% healed baby!!!). In 07 on another kung fu kick I went on a week-long, hung gar training trip with my buddy illusionfist.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 05-08-2009 at 10:10 AM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

54 years old and started when I was 21 unless you count learning Judo from a book and practicing the moves on my sister when I was about 10.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    Been involved with martial arts since I was 16, I’m 48 sometime this year.
    I’ve done:
    Boxing,
    Judo,
    Wing Chun,
    Choy Lee Fut,
    Hung Gar,
    Doce Pares Eskrima.

this August I turn 105

did a PAL boxing for kids thing around 6 or 7

wanted to do flying kicks so I joined Taekwondo around 11
    we did old style Moo Duk Kwan and Hapkido also, got a 2nd dan

did Shotokan, because I was chasing this Filipino chick over there

met a kid who was doing Judo at the Shotokan place, did a little Judo (around 16)

First CMA was Hung Ga, started around 12ish -
    hung around Chinatown and did Dragon, a weird southern shaolin thing, 7 star mantis and eventually Shuai Jiao

Shuai Jiao under Jeng HSin Ping first semester in college
    Then met Chan Tai San

Worked a lot of Muay Thai and boxing under student of Joe Lewis in Washington DC when I was in grad school in 1991

Started doing BJJ off and on around 1994

I get around
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Trained in.......

Here we go:
    -1974-1977 Southern Kung Fu
    -1980-1985 Fu Jow Pai
    -1986 to present 7-Star Praying Mantis-Cheung Wah Sifu
    ________
    roor bongs
    ________
    Lovely Wendie99
    Last edited by seung ga faat; 04-29-2011 at 01:34 AM.

I'm 34 now. I started with an unspecificed style of karate when I was 10. When I was 14 I started training in shaolin-do. I've done that, more or less ever since, but I've also learned a little aikido, CLF, BJJ, Praying Manits along the way. Nothing too formal, just crossing hands and working out and picking up some stuff that made sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

55 closing in on 56 fast..Boxed and wrestled a little in HS..started judo in comm. college 71 through 74....transfered to UK in 74 and started Shaolin Do to present....only study the Internal side of SD since 95 focusing on Baqua & Chen Tai Chi. Still love to play with Judo and will workout and learn from anyone with sound abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    54 years old and started when I was 21 unless you count learning Judo from a book and practicing the moves on my sister when I was about 10.
    i'd actually count that
    any experience is still experience and teaching yourself is very valuable
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Shorin Ryu 7-11 years old

Boys Club Boxing 9-11

Chung Do Quan TKD 13-20

Northern Shaolim 21-50

50 years, 9 months and counting....................
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    i'd actually count that
    any experience is still experience and teaching yourself is very valuable
    There's an interesting story about me learning Judo from a book when I was a kid. I carried the book to school a few times and one of the older kids that used to harass me on the bus saw the book and stated teasing me about it saying stuff like "Don't mess with him he knows Judo, ooh I'm scared".

But what started as a teasing and bullying backfired and as the word spread it went from harassment to a warning. Nobody messed with me the whole school year PLUS the following year.

Now that's funny.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    because I was chasing this Filipino chick over there

I get around
    So it is true. You have ALWAYS had the 'Asian-Fever'. And here it just thought it coincidence that you married a Chinese girl and then a Korean girl...

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    So it is true. You have ALWAYS had the 'Asian-Fever'. And here it just thought it coincidence that you married a Chinese girl and then a Korean girl...
    it's not true! I mean there was that Japanes gymnast in High School, and the other Korean girl at teh TKD school, and the Chinese twins in college, and.....

uh..........
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    There's an interesting story about me learning Judo from a book when I was a kid. I carried the book to school a few times and one of the older kids that used to harass me on the bus saw the book and stated teasing me about it saying stuff like "Don't mess with him he knows Judo, ooh I'm scared".

But what started as a teasing and bullying backfired and as the word spread it went from harassment to a warning. Nobody messed with me the whole school year PLUS the following year.

Now that's funny.
    Love it, great story, felt good didn't it ?

Thanks
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com