Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: what's your age and experience ?

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    you still rub off as a being twit.
    right back atcha pal.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

dnovice

28 years old. About 7 years wing chun. That's it baby! Nada else.
    -I'm looking for training and sparring partners in nyc. If you're down pm. -dnovice

-
    ". . . someone who wishes to steal a precious jewel, to attack a formidable enemy, or to make the acquaintance of a beautiful woman must, at all times, watch intently for the opportunity, adjusting to changing events and shifting circumstances. Anything sought for with such intensity will surely be gained."
    -Zen master Dogen, "From the Record of Things Heard" (13th c.)

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    i'm just saying that anyone can hang about an MA class do a few forms for 50 years and say they have 50 years of experience
    50 years but how many hours?

and it hasn't changed

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I would also add that when i first started coming to MA forums, a lot of my stuff was pompous asshattery as well.

Ya don't say.............

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    50 years but how many hours?
    that, and don't confuse ten years experience, when all you have is two years, five times.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    Ya don't say.............
    oh hi chubby!!

get that breast reduction yet?

always got time to give you a virtual hot karl boy.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 06-03-2009 at 04:35 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    that, and don't confuse ten years experience, when all you have is two years, five times.
    but why not? 5 x 2 = 10. if you practice 5 different "things" for two years each, you will still have 10 years of experience in practice. how many 30+ years peeps out there have only trained one way the entire 30 years? in the end it matters not even how long you have trained or what you have trained... it all comes down to understanding concepts - which in the end manifest as techniques analyzed and stored by the mind - the body's personal hard drive. this is why visualization is such an emphasis in the martial arts... by pre-constructing encounters and movements in ones mind, one builds a memory path for reacting in similar situations or enviroments. it has always been taught: mind is the path and the body follows the mind, which is directed by the spirit - it shouldn't take 30+ years to figure this out.
    Last edited by uki; 06-03-2009 at 05:13 PM.

I used to jump around alot, collecting rank in several different styles, but then I met someone who trained under one teacher for over 30 years, and his skill and understanding is phenomenal. (I've been with him ever since) There's a difference between having a sixth grade education at several different elementary schools and getting a masters.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

There's a difference between having a sixth grade education at several different elementary schools and getting a masters.
    i suppose... i simply view it all on an elementary level... hit hard, hit once. repeat if necessary.

of course there is a whole scribble of fine print in there - gotta suprise them like a comet coming from behind the sun.

i suppose... i simply view it all on an elementary level... hit hard, hit once. repeat if necessary.
    true, and I understand that. It's just that after awhile, you start looking for something more, and when you meet someone who has such skill, and not just see it, but feel it, you start to want to attain a different type of skill than simply hitting.
    It's like guitar players. Some people are content with having a decent guitar, amp, etc. Others, like myself are called "Tone Chasers." We go from guitar to guitar, seeking the right woods with the proper resonance,(mahogany sounds different than alder, which is different than basswood, etc) the right pickups with the tonal range and response and harmonics, the right amplifier and speaker set up, even down to the brand tubes, each having their own characteristic, just to get that elusive tone. Does it make you a better player? No. It's just something you want to feel.
    Is my SPM phoenix eye better than your hook? No. It's just different, and that difference is what I enjoy playing.
    Meanwhile I own 23 guitars, and there are still several I need to own...
    And although I own a '73 reissue Marshall 50 watt plexi head, I want to hook it up to a variac, drop the plate voltage to the power amp, and run it full into a dummy load, or a power attenuator, and I want that Seymore Duncan EVH custom wound pickup(same specs as Van Halen's), and, and...
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

still trying to find a hum-free p-90 that retains that same warm tone...
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

It's just that after awhile, you start looking for something more, and when you meet someone who has such skill, and not just see it, but feel it, you start to want to attain a different type of skill than simply hitting.
    of course... i am a fan of the locking-trapping-mantis-hooky-fist-arm... i only hit if i want to, otherwise i like practicing pretzel making and meat tenderizing.

i believe the difference between my approach to martial arts(or anything for the matter) is that i am coming from the opposite end... i believe WE individually contain the understanding of the WHOLE within ourself... the DNA, the genetic blueprint of our being, contains all the history of the human race in itself. moments of enlightenment are nothing more than a resurfacing and acknowledgement of a suppressed genetic memory... i view everything that one would call "learned" as nothing more than being "remembered" i believe that beings on this planet have been here for thousands of years, incarnating over and over again in order to grow in their spiritual understanding of the physical realm around us... once a soul has awakened to its inner light, its purpose, it begins to manifest the sum of experience of its many lifetimes into one. i didn't come here to learn... i came to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    oh hi chubby!!

get that breast reduction yet?

always got time to give you a virtual hot karl boy.

What the hell does any of that mean? You trying to transition from pompous asshattery to complete irrationality?

... by pre-constructing encounters and movements in ones mind, one builds a memory path for reacting in similar situations or enviroments. it has always been taught: mind is the path and the body follows the mind, which is directed by the spirit -

............................................oh brother...
    Last edited by Kansuke; 06-03-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    ............................................oh brother...
    oh yes.................