Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is Praying Mantis kicking different from kickboxing?

How is Praying Mantis kicking different from kickboxing?

I'm working on my footwork drills looking for research material to help me train smarter in my style, I figure look at all of the systems around yours to see if you have any weaknesses...

spinning heel kick: http://video.google.ca/videosearch?h...8&sa=N&tab=wv#

I was going to post all the kick vid's american and thai boxers use, but really when you do kick combo's most kicks look the same...it's not too much stylistic variation.
    http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...d-kick-114829/

how does your style differ from Kick Boxing Western and Muay Thai?.

Monkey footwork. Lots of sweeping and feints. Comparing apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCOBRA View Post
    Monkey footwork. Lots of sweeping and feints. Comparing apples to oranges.
    sorry this isn't about comparing, i know what kickboxing kicks look like, I'm having a hard time finding kung fu kicking footwork.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I believe White ape Steals The Peach has a roundhouse kick in it?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Also the 6th road in Sap Sei Lo Tan Toy (shi si lu tan tui) has a kick similar to a roundhouse. As far as footwork goes from my perspective we throw kicks from mainly a fighting stance 60-40 weight distribution and utilize kicks from various footworks but not really anything unique besides maybe chat sing bou & dan sihk which seem to be our cornerstone.
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    I'm working on my footwork drills looking for research material to help me train smarter in my style, I figure look at all of the systems around yours to see if you have any weaknesses...

spinning heel kick: http://video.google.ca/videosearch?h...8&sa=N&tab=wv#

I was going to post all the kick vid's american and thai boxers use, but really when you do kick combo's most kicks look the same...it's not too much stylistic variation.
    http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...d-kick-114829/

how does your style differ from Kick Boxing Western and Muay Thai?.
    You're overthinking kicking too much. Kick low, kick hard, and don't hang your leg for a catch. Use pads to drill. About the only difference I've seen in KF kicking vs Karate and other things is in the "push kick" (or foot jab). KF uses the whole foot or heel, Karate and TKD use the ball of the foot. Also - my sifu wants us to chamber the "push Kick" tight - think two to three palm to finger tip lengths from the bag tight.

Footwork has to be light and fast in a san shou match. Jump rope and spar and you'll develop the footwork naturally.

also- in you're post on the main forum you were asking about the round kick and why kf doesn't seem to do it--- we do- we just never, NEVER, open (first move to bridge the gap) with a round or any type of kick that exposes the groin. Typically a Mantis master wouldn't initiate offensively with a kick in a serious fight. You'll see good mantis players playing with a kick to open when they're just messing around - but it's not a good habit to get in.

Here is a clip of students kick sparring.
    They can't punch, only kick.

The kicks look like kicks of other styles.
    The main difference between this kicking style and some other schools is they way that they are taught.

The result being that there is never a peroid where no one is kicking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGxHqL0GfKg

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    You're overthinking kicking too much. Kick low, kick hard, and don't hang your leg for a catch. Use pads to drill. About the only difference I've seen in KF kicking vs Karate and other things is in the "push kick" (or foot jab). KF uses the whole foot or heel, Karate and TKD use the ball of the foot. Also - my sifu wants us to chamber the "push Kick" tight - think two to three palm to finger tip lengths from the bag tight.

Footwork has to be light and fast in a san shou match. Jump rope and spar and you'll develop the footwork naturally.
    I def' overthink things...but the net is not what it could be for Gung Fu promotion I have four hours of private video from my teachers seniors which i won't be allowed to put online prolly for like 15 more years. I'm hoping by making threads like this in every forum some old chinese kid may get bored and decide to share his uncles twenty hours of Dog Style kicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tensei85 View Post
    Also the 6th road in Sap Sei Lo Tan Toy (shi si lu tan tui) has a kick similar to a roundhouse. As far as footwork goes from my perspective we throw kicks from mainly a fighting stance 60-40 weight distribution and utilize kicks from various footworks but not really anything unique besides maybe chat sing bou & dan sihk which seem to be our cornerstone.
    60-40 interesting what's the intent behind this...safety of footwork? Ring fighters usually go from a 50-50 base I heard...any one know why?.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    also- in you're post on the main forum you were asking about the round kick and why kf doesn't seem to do it--- we do- we just never, NEVER, open (first move to bridge the gap) with a round or any type of kick that exposes the groin. Typically a Mantis master wouldn't initiate offensively with a kick in a serious fight. You'll see good mantis players playing with a kick to open when they're just messing around - but it's not a good habit to get in.
    right good point about never Open, the cma tactics I learned is all pickpocket style, one hand is always hidden or likes to be Low sweep kicks and Crescent kicks have all of the mechanics of a Thai Shin kick, i thought it was interesting the issue of CMA not using them

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    Here is a clip of students kick sparring.
    They can't punch, only kick.

The kicks look like kicks of other styles.
    The main difference between this kicking style and some other schools is they way that they are taught.

The result being that there is never a peroid where no one is kicking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGxHqL0GfKg
    looks very fun...I like the idea behind gaurd with your elbows/limbs then you get to play...sweet. Is this a drill you guys recently adapted or is it something Mantis has always been in to?...I know PM is very specialized power development from the little I have seen...Got to meet Jon Funk and a few of his seniors last year at the Tiger Balms...I imagine Mantis Leg development is very advanced Chinese fitness.
    Last edited by diego; 05-13-2009 at 12:53 PM.

the 60-40 is based on the expression of seung kua or which type of stance work is being used not to say that every posture is 60-40.
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

Quote Originally Posted by Tensei85 View Post
    the 60-40 is based on the expression of seung kua or which type of stance work is being used not to say that every posture is 60-40.
    Is it 60 on the rear leg and 40 on the lead and I'm unfamiliar with the term Seung Kua?.

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

I'm guessing 50/50 footwork is good for the ring making the first attack, 60/40 may be better for defense...

natural fighting posture is closer to 50/50 with the weight transitioning forward or backward depending on the situation. Knees are bent. In the modern era, Weight is carried in the toes.

classic kf is knees bent - 40 front 60 back - heel to toe walking - no hunching at the waist - head in natural alignment with the spine, use the lead foot to close off the groin - and use footwork to dominate your opponent's center of balance.

Both work - just depends on what you're comfortable doing.