Thread: What is your favorite Northern Mantis form?

Hybrid View

What is your favorite Northern Mantis form?

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to start a thread on your favorite form:
    1. what you feel the logic behind the form is?
    2. what accomplishments are gained through the practice of that form?

To start my favorite forms are:
    Bai Yuen Tuo Tau (Bak Yun Tau Tuo)

For me it incorporates level changes, low to high strikes with proper jing transmission and uses multiple strikes simultaneously. The benefits are better flow, simultaneous offense and defense, balance and the list goes on (probably about the same for most forms)

On a side note my next favorite form would probably be "sern bei" (sau-jong)

Tong Long Chit Don (Praying Mantis Exits the Cave)

forgot to add what I like about it---

It's Mantis-riffically Awesome

Next on the list is Siu Fu Yin

Cuz it looks like something from a Jet Li Movie

For the Weapon

Lok Hop Darn Do or Gun Le Guan - both are ol' skool cool looking. Could also be Bot Sim Gim cuz I like to think of myself as a stereotypical video game business man bad guy - and a stereotypical businessman bad guy would use a gim (jian).

I agree Siu Fu Yin is totally awesome! And pretty much every Gim (Jian) form I've seen is always stylish. I also enjoy "Jeet Kuen" it always works up a sweat and gets the cardio going.

Lien Her Zhang (Six Harmony Palm)

Sher Feng Dao (Blade Testing Broadsword)

Not that I have a ton under my belt to choose from, but so far for me I'd say Sap Baht Sao. It has quite a few elements that I enjoy and isn't super long. I like reversing motions a lot, moving one direction and then the next. In this form, you turn 180 and do a downward strike then turn 180 again and go into a fung sao bung choi. Fun. It also includes quite a few elbow strikes and yiu jam (sp?).