Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kung Fu San Soo

Hey, former San Soo student here.

American Kenpo (Parker) and San Soo are very similar, as others have stated. Which followed the other is up for debate. Folks that were there that I've spoken with over the years agree that Jimmy and Ed knew each other, but that's about where the agreement ends.

James King and John Bracy both told me that Ed learned from Jimmy, wanting to add some authenticity to his "American martial art". Bracy went so far as to say that Jimmy got sick of Ed constantly asking him for additional information and Jimmy basically told him to take a hike.

Another teacher (name long forgotten) told me that Jimmy worked as an assistant to Ed. However, I found other references that indicated that this other "James Woo" was a White Crane instructor. Shrug.

At any rate, it's a pretty decent style and fun to train. In hindsight most of the techniques were solid (good power in the hammer fists especially) though many of the takedowns and jointlocks were needlessly complicated and could get you hurt. Some schools have stripped those techniques out completely and practice a more basic, striking-oriented method. The lack of live sparring was the biggest problem in my school, and from what I've seen that is the norm in that system.

Thanks

I was just curious about what other people thought about the style/ system. I have to agree about the overly complicated chin na / joint locking moves, they will get you hurt.