Thread: The Prodigy v. KenFlo

The Prodigy v. KenFlo

The original article is here.

I can't wait to see this fight. The way Florian picked apart Stevenson in November earned him a title shot. The fact that we had to wait this long while Penn had delusions of grandeur stepping up in class, and putting the whole lightweight division on hold was garbage. Penn sucks for doing and UFC sucks for allowing it. Now that he is in the weight class he belongs. Any thoughts on this one guys? I give it to Florian, his elbows are nasty.
    B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian title fight official as UFC 101 headliner
    MMAjunkie.com Staff, MMAjunkie.com
    15 hours, 26 minutes ago

The Ultimate Fighting Championship today officially announced the long-rumored title fight between lightweight champion B.J. Penn (13-5-1 MMA, 9-4-1 UFC) and top contender Kenny Florian (11-3 MMA, 9-2 UFC).

The bout headlines UFC 101, which takes place Aug. 8 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia.

A previously announced light-heavyweight non-title fight between middleweight champ Anderson Silva (24-4 MMA, 9-0 UFC) and Forrest Griffin (16-5 MMA, 7-3 UFC) serves as the night's co-main event.

"B.J. Penn is called 'The Prodigy' for a reason," UFC President Dana White stated in today's announcement. "He has proven to be dangerous in multiple weight classes, but he is definitely at his best at 155. Now the lightweight champ defends his title against top contender Kenny Florian, who has improved by leaps and bounds since his UFC debut on 'The Ultimate Fighter.' Originally known for his outstanding jiu-jitsu skills, Florian is now as well known for his devastating Muay Thai. Both of these guys excel standing and on the ground, so I am expecting nonstop action in this world title fight."

Penn, who makes his first title defense in 14 months, returns to action for the first time since his fourth-round TKO loss to Georges St. Pierre in January. Penn's camp argued that St. Pierre's corner men "greased" him up with Vaseline during the welterweight title fight and severely hindered his jiu-jitsu skills. However, an April hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission resulted in no action, and the loss will likely stick on his record.

Penn will now make his first lightweight title defense since a May 2008 TKO win over Sean Sherk.

Florian, meanwhile, goes for his seventh straight win since losing a bid for the vacant title in 2006. Florian suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Sherk in the fight, but he's since posted six consecutive wins (all but one via stoppage) over the likes of Joe Lauzon, Roger Huerta and Joe Stevenson to emerge as the division's top contender.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

I would have to give it to Florian as well, even though I like Penn. I just don't think jumping classes is the best situation for Penn but hey maybe it will work to his advantage. Either way it should be a sweet fight! But then again I said that about the GSP/Penn fight where GSP mandhandled the guy!
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

Florian via Penn by ragequitting in the 4th round.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    Florian via Penn by ragequitting in the 4th round.
    I went to the Wiki page for Penn. I can't stand "TKO (Doctor's Advice)" it should read TKO (B!tch ran home crying).
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

You're a little b1tch if you tap to strikes, remember.

TO THE DEATH.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

I guess I'm in the minority when I think Penn will win this. Penn has the better juijitsu excellent boxing skills and has more power in the punches than KenFlo.

I'm a fan of both, although Ken Flo is one of my favorite fighters.

I didn't say BJ Penn will lose.

I said BJ Penn will go to the death.
    - Yagyū Munenori

TO THE DEATH!

Or mom in court...one or the other. LOL.

I don't think anyone in the history of MMA has made such a brutal ass of themselves like Penn. Has anyone seen his new training footage?

Granted he'd whup me nonetheless...
    A unique snowflake

My mistake, lol i need to get my eyes checked. Penn is defending the lightweight title, now that makes since. disregard my 1st statement. New glasses needed!
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

KenFlo is a quitter.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

What does the UFC do?

So, let's say Kenflo wins the fight... Does the UFC exercise the clause in BJ's contract that allows them to drop a fighter after a loss? They couldn't do it after the GSP fight because he still had the Lightweight Title, but if he loses the title fight he may not be worth being kept around. Looks like BJ is planning to be kicked out because he found something to do with his time.
    ------
    Jason

I don't know he still has a huge fan base. Maybe he ends up in Strikeforce if that happens?