Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any new research for Hendrik?

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    For this crap, 0ne hundred blows! The grass grows without Hedricks help, why not you?
    What do you mean the grass grows with out hendrik help...you dont approve of my post?

Please explain?

Violent Designs:
    I have heard:

"Preoccupied with a single leaf, you'll miss the entire tree. Preoccupied with a single tree, you'll miss the entire forest."
    Who was this directed too?
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 05-19-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    What do you mean the grass grows with out hendrik help...you dont approve of my post?

Please explain?
    It means if your looking for a straight answer from Hendrick, you won't get one. It's a Zen thing. You must never answer too clearly.

I think it makes them feel special.

My whole meditation plan is simply to count breaths when I feel the need.

None of it really matters as we all end up being worm food at some time or another.

It means if your looking for a straight answer from Hendrick, you won't get one. It's a Zen thing. You must never answer too clearly.

I think it makes them feel special.

My whole meditation plan is simply to count breaths when I feel the need.

None of it really matters as we all end up being worm food at some time or another.
    Well said M1k? so I will speak unclearly to Hendrik an give me a taste of his Zen...ha ha!

so I will speak unclearly
    I doubt anyone will notice a difference.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    I doubt anyone will notice a difference.
    Where you talking to Hendrik???

While I have some serious disagreements of views with Hendrik, I'd like to point a few things out that some "newbies" may not know.

First, english is not Hendrik's first or even second language. It's useful to keep that in mind.

Second, Hedrik is a genuine Ch'an practitioner (having been a long-time disciple of an accredited and well-known Ch'an master). He's not someone who picked up his "understanding" of Ch'an (zen) by doing a bit of reading or by listening to any self-proclaimed Shaloin Ch'an "teachers". Hendrik is the real deal.

Third, Hendrik has done significant (over 20 years) research into WCK history. While I don't necessarily agree with all his views and conclusions, again, he's not making up stories or lineages and calling it history (like some).

Fourth, Hendrik is a genuine, documented (in writing) successor to Yik Kam's WCK.

Fifth, Hendrik has learned from and trained with genuine qi gong masters. I say genuine since, like Ch'an, there are many, many people who really have no qualifications other than doing a bit of reading or learning from so-called experts with no qualifications, who think they know. Personally, I think qi gong is a load of rubbish. But, there is genuine rubbish (the theory, practices, etc. as genuinely passed down) and there is made-up, incomplete rubbish.

My point is that when Hendrik talks about Ch'an or qi gong or WCK history or WCK, his views are very much worth taking into account.

Good information, but he still seems to follow the Zen practice of never explain too clearly.

Good information, but he still seems to follow the Zen practice of never explain too clearly.
    How can you take into account Hendriks Views when they sound like rubbish? or Mumbo Jumbo!

How can you take into account Hendriks Views when they sound like rubbish? or Mumbo Jumbo!
    In my view a great deal of TCMA stuff is rubbish. The whole qi paradigm, for example, is rubbish. However, it is traditionally a part of TCMA. Hendrik KNOWS that stuff to a very high level. My point is that if someone is interested in that stuff, they would be wise to take Hendrik's views into account. Likewise, I think very, very few people have the "education" on those subjects I mentioned in my previous post as does Hendrik. So, for example, to argue about qi cultivation with Hendrik is like arguing grappling with Dale (knifefighter) who is a BJJ BB -- most people here are simply not in their league.

Because I understand a little of what he is talking about.

Its hard to explain but it goes along the lines of confusing the map with the terrain, or words can be used to describe but too often get confused with what is.

Is needs to be experienced, Is is not a story.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    In my view a great deal of TCMA stuff is rubbish. The whole qi paradigm, for example, is rubbish. However, it is traditionally a part of TCMA. Hendrik KNOWS that stuff to a very high level. My point is that if someone is interested in that stuff, they would be wise to take Hendrik's views into account. Likewise, I think very, very few people have the "education" on those subjects I mentioned in my previous post as does Hendrik. So, for example, to argue about qi cultivation with Hendrik is like arguing grappling with Dale (knifefighter) who is a BJJ BB -- most people here are simply not in their league.
    Okay buddy. But as for Chi Cultivation what use is all that knowledge if he cant fight with the stuff. head knowledge with out the ability to fight with it is nonsense and will begin to lead you into fantasy land.

Okay buddy. But as for Chi Cultivation what use is all that knowledge if he cant fight with the stuff. head knowledge with out the ability to fight with it is nonsense and will begin to lead you into fantasy land.
    What you can get from it is mental health, physical health, peace of mind, a sense of being centered and other stuff.

Not everything has to do with fighting.

I am just a dabbler but I use some of it to help control my diabetes (type II) and my arthritis. At 55 there are a lot more important things than fighting.

T Niehoff's post on Hendrik

I often don't agree with Terence on wing chun matters, and sometimes don't agree with Hendrik on some wing chun matters- but Terence's post on Hendrik is right on the money.

For a long time at the beginning I didn't know what to make of Yik Kam wing chun- given the relatively sudden appearances of several quite different claims on "original wing chun".And Wang kew Kit(who also is from Yik Kam lines) works with so many different styles including claiming wing chun. Hendrik's wing chun lineage also has some CLF but he has explained how his lineage keeps their wc separate from their CLF. And I have seen Hendrik's SLT- it is wing chun-- a much softer version than WT or TWC. And I have taken a glance at some of his documents on Emei training postures. Sometimes in historical chronology he loses me(he needs to respond to Rolf some more on dates and clear up some confusions)...but there is no doubt about his painstaking research. Someone can be fluent in Chinese but may not be able to do justice to specialized texts.

His understanding of Buddhism in it all its diversity is considerable and his understanding of Chan is very clear.He not only has had direct top flight instruction but he took time to master the older terms in order to deal with the texts. He practices Buddhism- that is why even though he has fought in his early years- he gave up fighting but tries to point nevertheless to other main virtues of wing chun.In spite of all the brickbats thrown at him he returns to try and explain his main points.In his place I would just ignore those guys.

My wing chun is different from Hendrik's but I respect his style. And on Buddhism- I pay close attention to what he has to say and he is pretty clear to me.. His English may not be always clear- but some of his main detractors need to go back to nursery school to learn their English.

It's better to give good reasons for differences of opinion than to be sarcastic.

PS I dont pay attention to his songs. Everyone has their own personality.

joy chaudhuri

PS. My problem is noy spelling for the most part but two finger keyboarding sometimes in the dark. You need some dark in the blazing Arizona sun.I seldom useda typewriter0 had others do the typing.

I've already answered this question.

And quite frankly, as you are firmly entrenched in your own fantasy land, your objection seems simply a case of the pot calling the kettle "black."

Occassional, light play fighting in your sifu's backyard as you claim to do is not fighting, doesn't develop fighting skills, and doesn't make you a fighter. As I've told you, go visit and train at some places where they really train fighters and they fight as part of their training, i.e., a muay thai school or MMA school or boxing gym. Until you do THAT, you simply don't know what you are talking about.
    Last edited by t_niehoff; 05-20-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks Terence and Joy, appreciate!