Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Defeat a MMA guy

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    lubricant. Always cover your entire body with a non-water soluble lubricant, rather than Astroglide, or K-Y. Sweat will increase your slipperyness, and once you add in Gene's secret tickle manuver, you're free to escape and defeat them due to their lack of kicking ability.
    two words.

nacho cheese
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

my view:
    If you want to be a fighter train "realistically" like a fighter, if you want to be better than other fighters than train "realistically" harder than other fighters.

In other words don't practice chi sau all day & night and think you can fight intelligently.

Thats all I'm going to say fill in the blanks with whatever you want...
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    What are some of Weaknesses of MMA fighters?

What are some counters to when they grab you an attempt to take you down?

Also many say there is no-counter once they gain the submission lock? Is this true. is there away to escape submission lock. Is there a counter or a way one can squirm out of that painful posistion before having to tap out or getting a limb broken?

What sorta of fighters do MMA guys dread?
    1. Every fighter has weaknesses whether a traditional practitioner or sport combat.

2. Depends on what take down. Is it a real fight or sport? Are we in a ring or cage? From a clinch or shoot?

3. If an opponent has a solid lock (in competition) you tap or risk your career. In a real fight don't let him/her put a lock on you (I know easier said than done). You don't want an attacker immobilizing you, you don't know what his intentions are afterwards; maybe just to beat you up or rob you, or maybe worse.

4. The guy standing across from him.

Not trying to be a jerk in any of my answers, just trying to clarify. There's so many variables to consider to get a more accurate answer.

Want to defeat an MMA guy? Then train in MMA. If an MMA guy wanted to compete in a CMA tournament, he would he would have to learn CMA. Plain and simple, apples and oranges.

MMA isn't a style. It's a MIXTURE of styles, hence the name. When it first started, it was about style vs. style. Grapplers showed strikers it's deficiencies. But then strikers learned to defend against grapplers, and in turn grapplers had to learn striking.

IMO, If you want to defeat an MMAer you had better train like one. But I also think a TMAist can still be a TMAist even if they cross train. I mean seriously, how many MAists can you think of, started in one style and stuck with one style. (seriously tkd or karate since 6?)

Easy, just hold him down and use a hacksaw across the ankles and .... wait ...

Did you say de-feet or defeat?

Ok, never mind.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

MMA fight with MMA rules
    to beat them you must train MMA

never forgoet chinese barehand martial arts was mainly used to train hand eye cordination for weapons, most of it is a inferior figting style

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I like lamp
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    I like lamp
    Did you eat the chocolate squirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Did you eat the chocolate squirrel?
    Covered in raspberry raccoon.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    MMA guys that actually fight don't release the hold until the ref steps in.
    This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    oh and its harder to submit someone if they are really flexible certain bjj sumbissions dont even work agaisnt a limber person
    This is not.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    This is true.

This is not.
    Actually the 2nd one is true. There's a guy at the gym that you just can't tap with certain subs. But he's a jits guy...not learning jits is stupid.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    Actually the 2nd one is true. There's a guy at the gym that you just can't tap with certain subs. But he's a jits guy...not learning jits is stupid.
    I would wager a lot of that has to do with him just knowing how to position/control his body, or people not doing the technique exactly correct.

While being flexible helps, and certainly can buy you some time, it's not going to save you against someone who knows how to perform the submissions properly.

For example, I have very flexible shoulders and it is very difficult for someone to tap me with an Americana, mostly because people get carried away trying to crank the arm and forget to slide it down low before attempting the submission. But, when done properly, my flexibility is neutralized.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 05-21-2009 at 11:20 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

you grab their protein shake and run

just like in this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hzwr9kRLH0
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    or you could say that it's actually harder to submit people than you would think. Especially motivated and trained people who are doing their best to submit you back.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    or you could say that it's actually harder to submit people than you would think. Especially motivated and trained people who are doing their best to submit you back.
    This is true. But I've seen people bend this guy's arm like right around to some crazy angles.
    But yeah, flexibility isn't the be all, end all.
    A unique snowflake