Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Defeat a MMA guy

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I would wager a lot of that has to do with him just knowing how to position/control his body, or people not doing the technique exactly correct.

While being flexible helps, and certainly can buy you some time, it's not going to save you against someone who knows how to perform the submissions properly.

For example, I have very flexible shoulders and it is very difficult for someone to tap me with an Americana, mostly because people get carried away trying to crank the arm and forget to slide it down low before attempting the submission. But, when done properly, my flexibility is neutralized.
    For sure. Often though, if you have to over extend yourself to apply certain submissions due to abnormal flexibility, it can leave you open to sweeps and such.

That said, to the TS, there is no such thing as MMA guys...just martial artists trying to cover all their bases in a way as best as possible.
    Last edited by WinterPalm; 05-21-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    This is true.

This is not.
    actually it is i train mma and many moves odnt work on double jointed or flexible people while they are easy to apply on stiff folks
    even gene lebell noted this

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I would wager a lot of that has to do with him just knowing how to position/control his body, or people not doing the technique exactly correct.

While being flexible helps, and certainly can buy you some time, it's not going to save you against someone who knows how to perform the submissions properly.

For example, I have very flexible shoulders and it is very difficult for someone to tap me with an Americana, mostly because people get carried away trying to crank the arm and forget to slide it down low before attempting the submission. But, when done properly, my flexibility is neutralized.
    and while your busy trying to crank the arm you waste to much effort and time until you realize how flexible they are and this gives the flexible person a chance to escape /apply his tecnique
    i have freaky double jointed shoulders and absolutely none of the gracie jujitsu self defense techniques work on me

a flexible guy will definetly have the advantage in a bjj tournament
    and since a ajority of mma gyms dont advocate stretching tma stylist have the advantage

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    actually it is i train mma and many moves odnt work on double jointed or flexible people while they are easy to apply on stiff folks
    even gene lebell noted this
    I thought you had a Karate coach and wrestling coach to train you for MMA?
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

My Bagua Teacher back in the states said,all the things you're not allowed to do in a competition are the things you would do to beat a bigger guy in a fight. I think this can apply to mma as well. But you need to know how to grapple,that is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

never forgoet chinese barehand martial arts was mainly used to train hand eye cordination for weapons, most of it is a inferior figting style
    i've never heard that before
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

i didnt know i wasnt a street fighter just because i train mma doesnt mean i cant fight dirty

i dont need special training to kick someone in the balls or poke em in the eyes
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Talking

i do have akrate coach and a wrestling coach!

When he comes in for a tackle, stick your knife in between his cervical vertebrae!

and while your busy trying to crank the arm you waste to much effort and time until you realize how flexible they are and this gives the flexible person a chance to escape /apply his tecnique
    i have freaky double jointed shoulders and absolutely none of the gracie jujitsu self defense techniques work on me
    I doubt it, but whatever.

a flexible guy will definetly have the advantage in a bjj tournament
    and since a ajority of mma gyms dont advocate stretching tma stylist have the advantage
    Most MMA guys recognize the importance of stretching. Many, many fighters advocate cross-training in yoga. You must attend the worst gym in America.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

um no they dont this gos back to me noting how a majority of them cant kick to save their lives and why cant they kick? because they dont stretch duh

and i dont care if you beleive it wasnt asking you to

Well when i saw this thread, all I could think of to post was:
    "invite them to a "muay thai smoker" and beat they azz".
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SitVongPhetCory
    but i thought it sounded a little crass....
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

um no they dont this gos back to me noting how a majority of them cant kick to save their lives and why cant they kick? because they dont stretch duh

and i dont care if you beleive it wasnt asking you to

Do you care if I don't believe it? How many people not believing you will it take for you to care?

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    Do you care if I don't believe it? How many people not believing you will it take for you to care?
    Let's make that a plus one.

This kid's funny.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

wel my thought is if they dont care than why bother?