Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How to Defeat a MMA guy

Quote Originally Posted by dcrjradmonish View Post
    I came across that link and wanted to share. I personally believe as long as the odds are even in the fight you have a 50/50 chance of winning. No matter what style or size of the guy or gal you are fighting.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Street-Fig...ght&id=2129909
    Yeah, well..after this part:
    If you can understand the difference between sports fighting and reality-based street survival where anything goes and there are no rules, you will get the most out of this article.
    I kind of stopped reading.
    Why?
    Well, since the VAST MAJORITY of MMA fighters I know ALL have street fighting backgrounds AND are trained fighters ON TOP OF THAT, it seems that having a POV that ASSUMES that your opponent doesn't know the difference between two things that EVERYONE else does, is a very stupid POV to have, and one that may well get you beaten into a pulp.

Good luck with that though.

meh when anybody says they have street fighting experience 99.9 percent of the time they are talking out of their hole

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    man, i'm just trying to figure out which version of the same tired old thread this is...

Lucas answered the question first and MK followed up just to be redundant so...there you go.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    meh when anybody says they have street fighting experience 99.9 percent of the time they are talking out of their hole
    Perhaps, but since I am referring to those that I have worked with bouncing or during my time in the military or those that still do security or LEO work, I can speak for them.

In my gym there's a Krav Maga class. Basically the usual restraints and attacks done in non-random, non-resisting manners. There is no workout and no sparring...not sure if this is pandemic to Krav Maga.
    Anyway, with all their practice against non-resisting partners, doing throat breaks, groin kicks, eye pokes, and all the rest of the stuff we don't do in sport stuff, I would still rather fight any one of them versus the sport people.

A mix of both approaches is good but if just one, then sport is much better to train in in my opinion.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by dcrjradmonish View Post
    I came across that link and wanted to share. I personally believe as long as the odds are even in the fight you have a 50/50 chance of winning. No matter what style or size of the guy or gal you are fighting.
    What you believe is wrong. Well, it's kind of right: the odds are NOT EVEN if the other guy is a highly trained monster of 20 kg bigger than you. The odds are never even.

If I fight Fedor I do not have a 50-50 chance of winning, street or no street.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    In my gym there's a Krav Maga class. Basically the usual restraints and attacks done in non-random, non-resisting manners. There is no workout and no sparring...not sure if this is pandemic to Krav Maga.
    Anyway, with all their practice against non-resisting partners, doing throat breaks, groin kicks, eye pokes, and all the rest of the stuff we don't do in sport stuff, I would still rather fight any one of them versus the sport people.

A mix of both approaches is good but if just one, then sport is much better to train in in my opinion.
    Krav Maga's a funny one. I know a bodyguard who is a very fit old-skool style TKD champion, no wuss at BJJ and still swears by his KM training. I trust him. But if you don't have any more realistic background or don't need it in your job, you very easily become a fantasist doing KM I reckon. OTOH, don't forget it has been tested on resisting opponents... all over the West Bank and Gaza Admittedly well over half of those opponents haven't had any training in anything related to fighting but that's for another thread... and they were still resisting.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Don't ever confuse the "market" KM to the real deal KM and don't confuse THAT KM with the one the military trains and don't confuse THAT KM with the one the special forces and intelligence sections train.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    What sorta of fighters do MMA guys dread?
    Judo Guys!

But seriously, it depends on which MMA fighter we are talking about. Everyone has weaknessess, but everyone has different weaknessess, even in the same art.

Some MMA fighters are ground technicians, you want to stay on your feet with them. Unless you're a Muay Thai or Judo guy, try to avoid the clinch. Some fighters are solid stand up fighters with little ground game. You might not want to try and outbox one of those guys.

I tend to throw most people, because that's where my background is (brown belt in Judo and blue belt in SC), but I need to be real careful against either a Muay Thai guy, or a good BJJ guy. I can hold my own against most blues and some purples, but if my throw doesn't knock him out, a good ground man is gonna turn the tables on snap my arm as payback for chucking him on his head. A good Muay Thai fighter is going to bring his own clinch game to the table. If I can make him play my game, he's toast. If he locks me into a plumb, I'm probably going to be eating a lot of knees and probably some elbows.

If you think about, the same situation exists in any art. When I compete, I'm eyeballing my weightclass like a hawk to figure out what weach guys strengths and weaknesess are. I'm gonna throw 'em all with O Soto, but my strategy is going to be different with each opponent.

The streetfight argument is a bunch of crap. If you don't know the guy you're fighting, you have no idea what he brings or doesn't bring to the table. All you can do there is throw out your best technique and hope your good enough to make him play your game.
    Last edited by Water Dragon; 05-28-2009 at 08:07 PM.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

i think krav magas hugely overratted too

whay kind of fight are we talking about?
    if its a street fighti think tms guys have the advantage because we dont have any rules

i think krav magas hugely overratted too

whay kind of fight are we talking about?
    if its a street fighti think tms guys have the advantage because we dont have any rules
    I think, you may want to be home by 8pm if at all possible.

When anyone offers percentages on things they cannot possibly know so specifically, they are 100% full of ****.

Krav Maga is now a pyramid scheme and mostly BS

I had a kid who was supposed to be an "instructor" in Krav Maga in the gym (for a short time). He was getting the crap beaten out of him in basic sparring and when he tried to be "dirty" to show "what it would have been like on the street" he got KO'ed OUT COLD

If you can't block punches and kicks and knees, you aren't up to a "real fight"

But better yet, he brought in an old lady who was his Krav Maga master
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    When anyone offers percentages on things they cannot possibly know so specifically, they are 100% full of ****.
    um so you just said you full of **** didnt you lol