Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How to Defeat a MMA guy

Wow, got that, did you?

when it comes to a street fight, the guy that has the advantage is:

The meaner, stronger, faster, smarter, and unfortunately luckier fighter.

also the situation is entirely going to effect the outcome.

ie: few fights that finish in the street start off with each guy squaring up toe to toe. usually there is an instant aggressor, an attacker that jumps the gun and gets the initiative.

depending on the circumstances, street fights, regardless of styles, are not always predictable.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

a few times in the past, especially before I was all nice and sweet like I am now, when someone talked about "the street" I'd just grab them suddenly, screaming at the top of my lungs, throw them forcefully against a wall and begin to punch them in the face. Most of the really "deadly" TMA people I know usually had no answer for that, to which I would then state "but that's a street fight"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    a few times in the past, especially before I was all nice and sweet like I am now, when someone talked about "the street" I'd just grab them suddenly, screaming at the top of my lungs, throw them forcefully against a wall and begin to punch them in the face. Most of the really "deadly" TMA people I know usually had no answer for that, to which I would then state "but that's a street fight"
    they were just lucky you didnt shank em in the kidney for a lesson.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    funny story my sifu did that to me one time to see what I would do. Stopped short of hitting me hard, but he used his great broken English cursing (that's some funny stuff hearing Chinese people curse!) I just stood there like a dope it scared the crap out of me. he proved his point very quickly.

Anyone has a shot at winning a streetfight. There are a lot of variables to consider in streetfighting. Boxing has less variables to consider than mma. MMA has less variables to consider than streetfighting. More rules equals less variables.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    What are some of Weaknesses of MMA fighters?
    they have to adhere to a set of rules and regulations.
    What are some counters to when they grab you an attempt to take you down?
    judo throws baby!!
    Also many say there is no-counter once they gain the submission lock? Is this true. is there away to escape submission lock. Is there a counter or a way one can squirm out of that painful posistion before having to tap out or getting a limb broken?
    biting works wonders... taste the soft spots.
    What sorta of fighters do MMA guys dread?
    the kind that don't follow rules: the sort that will fish-hook your mouth off, rake your face from your head, and crush the trachea while biting your nose.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    they have to adhere to a set of rules and regulations.
    judo throws baby!!
    biting works wonders... taste the soft spots.
    the kind that don't follow rules: the sort that will fish-hook your mouth off, rake your face from your head, and crush the trachea while biting your nose.
    LOL !!
    Too funny

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Too funny
    gene said to be myself.

So, if the non-mma opponent is "not following rules," rules under which he most likely trains, what is stopping mma-guy from doing the same?
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    So, if the non-mma opponent is "not following rules," rules under which he most likely trains, what is stopping mma-guy from doing the same?
    you are correct, nothing is to stop people from fighting without rules, but you must remember that MMA is a sport, so the competitors training in it and for it, train according to a set of rules and regualtions. it's a one on one match, in a ring or something, with a ref - no weapons, no eye-gouging, no biting, no deliberate breaks, no fish-hooking, etc, etc, and when you train according to these rules, you develop patterns and what-not of reaction... the concept of muscle memory - one is more likely to respond with what they train because of how they train, according to the mindset of the training... there's a difference between a guy who fights to protect his ego and the guy who fights to protect himself or his family... if someone provokes me to fight, i am going to do my best to rend their flesh from their bones, tear their face from their head, or otherwise mutilate all exposed skin and striking surfaces that i can hit. for myself, fighting is reserved for the last resort, and if someone wants to go on a vacation with me that bad, i'll make sure they get their moneys worth. this is why i believe MMA is useless outside of the sports ring/cage... MMA fighters fight for the ego, medals, and recongnition... i fight only if i have to.

you are correct, nothing is to stop people from fighting without rules, but you must remember that MMA is a sport, so the competitors training in it and for it, train according to a set of rules and regualtions. it's a one on one match, in a ring or something, with a ref - no weapons, no eye-gouging, no biting, no deliberate breaks, no fish-hooking, etc, etc, and when you train according to these rules, you develop patterns and what-not of reaction... the concept of muscle memory - one is more likely to respond with what they train because of how they train, according to the mindset of the training... there's a difference between a guy who fights to protect his ego and the guy who fights to protect himself or his family... if someone provokes me to fight, i am going to do my best to rend their flesh from their bones, tear their face from their head, or otherwise mutilate all exposed skin and striking surfaces that i can hit. for myself, fighting is reserved for the last resort, and if someone wants to go on a vacation with me that bad, i'll make sure they get their moneys worth. this is why i believe MMA is useless outside of the sports ring/cage... MMA fighters fight for the ego, medals, and recongnition... i fight only if i have to.

Funny thing is, that all those things you mentioned - eye gouging, biting, fish hooks, ARE taught in MMA and people are taught how to use them and counter them, didn't you know that?
    You know that in the early days of Vale Tudo there was only one rule in the vast majority of fights - respect the "surrender", everything else was pretty much a go, INCLUDING all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Funny thing is, that all those things you mentioned - eye gouging, biting, fish hooks, ARE taught in MMA and people are taught how to use them and counter them, didn't you know that?
    of course. i am only attacking the action of the sport itself and the mentality behind it... the best part about making generalizations is to discover the individual exceptions.
    You know that in the early days of Vale Tudo there was only one rule in the vast majority of fights - respect the "surrender", everything else was pretty much a go, INCLUDING all that stuff.
    yet the question remains to those who still participate in these types of fights and with this type of mentality... why are you fighting? what is the ULTIMATE goal behind the action? this is where you will find the the root of the whole MMA tree of life.

o
    yet the question remains to those who still participate in these types of fights and with this type of mentality... why are you fighting? what is the ULTIMATE goal behind the action? this is where you will find the the root of the whole MMA tree of life.
    A valid question, I can only, of course, speak for myself:
    When I decided to compete in VT matches it was, simply, as a test of my MA skill.
    I had competed already in Boxing, MT, Judo, Kyokushin and had for some time been a bouncer and had occasion to use my MA skills in the "real world", which makes one ask what further test did I feel I meed?
    Quite simply this:
    While I had fought trained fighters in a "ruled oriented" environment and I had fought "untrained" fighters in a "no rules" environment, I had never fought trained fighters in a "no rules" environment.
    That said, fighters have a deep respect for each other and our skills and the years that it takes to develop those skills, so I knew that, outside a "self protection" situation, that I would never fight a trained fighter in a "no rules" environment, so the very limited rules of VT was the logical next step in my development as a MA - Practioner > Fighter> Martial Artist> Teacher.

So I tried my hand at VT, some with a few rules, others with only one - RESPECT the Tap/Surrender.

It was eye opening and it was a crucial step for me in my development.

you are correct, nothing is to stop people from fighting without rules, but you must remember that MMA is a sport, so the competitors training in it and for it, train according to a set of rules and regualtions. it's a one on one match, in a ring or something, with a ref - no weapons, no eye-gouging, no biting, no deliberate breaks, no fish-hooking, etc, etc, and when you train according to these rules, you develop patterns and what-not of reaction...
    so how many eyes did you gouge out this week?
    how many people did you bite?
    how many bones/joints did you deliberately break?
    more importantly, how many of these techniques did you survive yourself this week?
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting