Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How to Defeat a MMA guy

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    so how many eyes did you gouge out this week?
    how many people did you bite?
    how many bones/joints did you deliberately break?
    more importantly, how many of these techniques did you survive yourself this week?
    predictable footwork. you're quite obviously missing the point here.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    predictable footwork. you're quite obviously missing the point here.
    I probably am missing something here.

But 2 things....

1- "Why do you fight". You make it seem like you have a hyper aggression switch that a sport guy's not going to have. I know a couple pros that'll take things as far as you want to take them. For them, it's not about the ego of wearing a belt or looking good in front of fans - it's much more primal. You hit me, I'm gonna hit you back 10 times harder. You punch me in the balls, I'll tear your's off. You hurt me, I'm going to kill you. Your assumption that a sport fighter's not gonna go there is just plain false. Truly violent people gravitate towards violence and you're going to find some pretty violent people that make their money competing in a sport where the taste of your own blood is common. I can cite plenty of examples even this year of guys coming into our muay thai gym, losing their temper in sparring, going outside of the rules, and having their dirty tactics returned 10 fold. You talk of going on vacation with people who make their money giving people guided tours.

2- Hyper aggression is not always a good thing. Snipers do exist. For every guy out there looking for blood, lunging at people with the berserker rage, there are others that will calmly and quietly incapacitate you before you can get your chance. You sound like every guy who thinks that getting knocked out is a choice, that you will refuse to succumb and therefore won't. The human brain has a finite capacity for damage and when you have no control of your limbs, you're not getting up. There's no shame in not being able to get up once you've been caught. The mistake came in getting caught in the first place, and being in the middle of sinew-tearing bloodlust is not the right way to avoid getting caught.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I probably am missing something here.

But 2 things....

1- "Why do you fight". You make it seem like you have a hyper aggression switch that a sport guy's not going to have. I know a couple pros that'll take things as far as you want to take them. For them, it's not about the ego of wearing a belt or looking good in front of fans - it's much more primal. You hit me, I'm gonna hit you back 10 times harder. You punch me in the balls, I'll tear your's off. You hurt me, I'm going to kill you. Your assumption that a sport fighter's not gonna go there is just plain false. Truly violent people gravitate towards violence and you're going to find some pretty violent people that make their money competing in a sport where the taste of your own blood is common. I can cite plenty of examples even this year of guys coming into our muay thai gym, losing their temper in sparring, going outside of the rules, and having their dirty tactics returned 10 fold. You talk of going on vacation with people who make their money giving people guided tours.

2- Hyper aggression is not always a good thing. Snipers do exist. For every guy out there looking for blood, lunging at people with the berserker rage, there are others that will calmly and quietly incapacitate you before you can get your chance. You sound like every guy who thinks that getting knocked out is a choice, that you will refuse to succumb and therefore won't. The human brain has a finite capacity for damage and when you have no control of your limbs, you're not getting up. There's no shame in not being able to get up once you've been caught. The mistake came in getting caught in the first place, and being in the middle of sinew-tearing bloodlust is not the right way to avoid getting caught.
    One of the most violent person I knew was a ****o-ryu Sensei that I bounced with years ago at Paprazzi here in Toronto.
    He was also a former kick boxer, boxer and liked strippers and long walks on the beach, if they were with strippers with big boobs and who like anal sex, but I digress.
    He was a sport guy, loved point competitions, he also demolished 2 Bandidos in a way that I thought he was gonna be a goner.
    Turns out he was far more "untouchable" that they were.
    Anyways, what he did to hem was nothing short of cruel and way beyond the boundries of "a beating".

it really depends on the fighter - sorry to say. i've met new MMA guys and was able to hold my own. More experienced MMA guys would take me down. Some days, i was able to hit them, other days they were able to hit me.

strategically, the most interesting observation is that they aren't used to dealing with other non-MMA guys. in other words, do what you do and hope for the best..and i try to stay away from the ground. hard stuff, but lots of fun! nothing but respect for these guys.
    Grasshopper 2.0

Compact, portable home gym system perfect for martial artists!
    Maximize your STRIKING POWER!

www.mightygrasshopper.com
    Health, wellness, fitness and nutritional product reviews!

Check out my Wing Tsun Kung Fu Blog
    It's kung fu but with an honest perspective!
    Updated Mondays and Wednesdays

"This ain't Hollywood's kung fu!"

www.functionalwingtsun.com

Want to try? Hit up
    www.wingtsunkungfu.com

I don't know if anyone has said this before but -

There is no such thing as an MMA guy versus a martial artist.

These terms need to be abandoned as they force you to think of a martial artist or an MMA guy in a boxed set of limitations.

There are no limitations. Ground game, wrestling, kung fu, karate, all of them are concepts and templates on how to fight.

All are interchangeable, adaptable, infinitely variable.

In the end it is how the person expresses themselves.

There is no karate, kung fu, or mma when you fight. A person does what they must do, to win.

The terms are all bull****.

you are correct, nothing is to stop people from fighting without rules, but you must remember that MMA is a sport, so the competitors training in it and for it, train according to a set of rules and regualtions. it's a one on one match, in a ring or something, with a ref - no weapons, no eye-gouging, no biting, no deliberate breaks, no fish-hooking, etc, etc, and when you train according to these rules, you develop patterns and what-not of reaction...
    I've yet to see a sparring match at ANY martial arts school, MMA or not, that has ever sparred with real weapons, eye gouging, biting, deliberate breaks, fish-hooking, or whatever the **** else.

You can drill it, but if you don't do spar with it, it doesn't mean ****. You don't think these guys understand how to gouge eyes, bite, deliberately break, or fish-hook? You don't think that's a natural reaction? These ideas have been around long before any martial art. And its just as easy for someone who doesn't train them, to switch it on.

And most people who take MMA don't do it for competition. MMA is incredibly popular right now.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Your assumption that a sport fighter's not gonna go there is just plain false. Truly violent people gravitate towards violence and you're going to find some pretty violent people that make their money competing in a sport where the taste of your own blood is common. .
    this is it in a nutshell. Anypone who's been in MA for any amount of time, knows that there are guys who are just plain nasty, brutal, violent, and have no remorse.
    Many of these are attracted to MA. The ones who can tough it out in full contact fighting, no matter what the sport, art, etc is, all have at least a piece of that.
    So place them in a street encounter, and they will maul their opponent, with brutality..and good technique.

Yes, even guys like Chuck Norris and Bill Wallace, who outside the ring were all sweet and milk n' cookies, were total priks inside the ring, and hurt their opponents with no remorse. They are not the gentlemen they would like you to believe.
    It's a myth.

look, I'm a peaceful guy. I am not confrontational. I avoid and dislike encounters. But when I hit someone, anyone,(even friends) there is a part of me inside that gets very happy. I don't understand it, I don't really like it. It kinda scares me, because I think that it might be a little sick. But it's there.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 06-19-2009 at 08:37 AM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    this is it in a nutshell. Anypone who's been in MA for any amount of time, knows that there are guys who are just plain nasty, brutal, violent, and have no remorse.
    Many of these are attracted to MA. The ones who can tough it out in full contact fighting, no matter what the sport, art, etc is, all have at least a piece of that.
    So place them in a street encounter, and they will maul their opponent, with brutality..and good technique.

Yes, even guys like Chuck Norris and Bill Wallace, who outside the ring were all sweet and milk n' cookies, were total priks inside the ring, and hurt their opponents with no remorse. They are not the gentlemen they would like you to believe.
    It's a myth.

look, I'm a peaceful guy. I am not confrontational. I avoid and dislike encounters. But when I hit someone, anyone,(even friends) there is a part of me inside that gets very happy. I don't understand it, I don't really like it. It kinda scares me, because I think that it might be a little sick. But it's there.
    There is much correctness in this post, much like ones large intestine, it is wrought with danger...

Honestly, its reassuring to see someone else thinking this.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

let's all be brutally honest-if you like sparring,
    then there is something inside you that likes hitting people.
    Nobody enjoys sparring because they enjoy getting hit.
    And, if you like full contact fighting,
    then you really like hitting people.
    Sure, we all say that we enjoy challenging ourselves, facing ourselves, the sport, it's like a chess match, yadda-yadda.
    But when you get right down to it, there are puh-lenty of ways to accomplish those goals,
    and none of them involve bashing someone in the face or kicking their ribs.

-and who here among us does not enjoy laying in a good choke and feeling your opponent tap?
    Or the feeling when your sidekick slams into his midsection,
    or the snap of his head when you land that hook?

C'mon, the first time you KO'd someone, even if it was your best friend, you had a ******* for a week. DON'T LIE!!!

Now, as you're all nodding your head and laughing, do you ever stop to realize just how sick that really is?

we like to paint this lovely picture of MAists being spiritually elevated pacifists, but no matter how warm n cuddly we see ourselves, down there inside is Pennywise the Clown...way down...down here...where they all float!
    MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Honestly, its reassuring to see someone else thinking this.
    what are you, a sales rep for Abilify?
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

what are you, a sales rep for Abilify?
    rofl, i had to google that.

When you're down here with us, you'll float too!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

How to defeat a MMA guy

What is the best way to defeat an MMA guy?

What are his weaknesses?

Wow that covers it...How to beat MMA guys!

1.Tickle them
    2.Kick them
    3.Tap them
    4.Use Lubricant
    5.Out Wrestle them

Thsi week, the answer is obvious

Sick Brüno on them.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart