Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun in the movies!

Tabernaque! Vous-etes Quebecois?
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Wink

Oui mon esti!...

Old Jong & friends,

I rather not discuss past, present, or future about you, me WC families/lineage, problems or issues. I believe we all share a common interest in MA. If we have anything further to discuss in this forum, then it should be something beneficial to our quest for learning the martial way.

Best wishes to everyone and their MA journey.

:Quan

No problem with that ,Tylus!...

How about movies with WC people in them or movies that show some WC. Well here are two.
    1. "Once Upon a Time In China and America" With Jet Li. WC Sifu Joe Sayah plays the villian.

2. "The Cicuit 2" had some WC in it. Also has Sifu Sayah.

3. "Gambling Ghost" Samo Hung. The very last fight scene has Samo Hung fighting the bad guys with WC.
    Does anyone know of others?
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Heck ya!!! I remember an article now about that...I totally forgot that the villian was wing chun. I have to go watch that movie now. I stopped watching the once upon a time series in part 3 when jet left.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Someone found this online while searching for WC movies. I knew that Sifu Wm. Cheung had started filming a kung fu movie years ago in HK. He left the project because of differences concerning the character he was supposed the play. Well. it turns out that the movie was Decendants of WC.
    Phil
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 01-20-2006 at 11:12 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Wing Chun in the movies!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/dor/ob...l1_051909.html

Looks like Robert Downey Jr. is showing off his vertical punch

Could be, though boxers in that that time period used to throw punches like that as well, and that looked like a boxing match scene.
    Marty
    "The Evil Chu's"
    Watchful Dragon

Nope old fashioned boxers used to box with the back of the fist....
    'Get In, Get Done, Get Out'

Well I was half joking. I just thought it was funny that Robert downey jr, who practices wing chun, is doing a vertical punch

Quote Originally Posted by martyg View Post
    Could be, though boxers in that that time period used to throw punches like that as well, and that looked like a boxing match scene.
    It could be WC since Downey is a student of Eric Oram and Eric went to London with him to help for the filming of the movie.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Thats awesome.

Eric is a scary dude. Never lets his guard down, extremely professional guy.

Leroy Smith in Tekken 7

THREADS
    Blind Masters
    Tekken
    Wing Chun in the movies! (slightly OT because this is a videogame)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A Himalayan musical...

I do want to see this. I luv musicals.

‘The Kung Fu Master’ is a musical action drama set in the Himalayas, says Abrid Shine
    Vijay GeorgeTHIRUVANANTHAPURAM, JANUARY 23, 2020 13:00 IST
    UPDATED: JANUARY 22, 2020 13:22 IST

Neeta Pillai in a scene from ‘The Kung Fu Master’ | Photo Credit: Special arrangement

The Malayalam director talks about the inspiration for the film, his previous works and more

After 16 years as a photographer, Abrid Shine made his foray into movies as a filmmaker with 1983 (2014). He won the Kerala State Film award for the best debut director for the movie, which narrated the story of a cricket fan’s love for the game even when he himself could not make it big as a cricketer. Action Hero Biju (2016) and Poomaram (2018) followed. He is now ready with The Kung Fu Master, a martial arts drama that releases today. If Abrid’s earlier movies were inspired by real life, The Kung Fu Master has been inspired by the movies he has watched over the years. Edited excerpts from an interview:

How did The Kung Fu Master happen?

We were planning to add Taekwondo fight scenes in Action Hero Biju but it did not materialise. When I heard about Wing Chun, a Chinese Kung Fu martial art style that values speed, I was fascinated. Wing Chun was conceptualised by a woman called Ng Mui and it was practised by legends such as Bruce Lee. Neeta Pillai (who played the female lead in Poomaram) was enthused about training in Wing Chun. She started off by practising Wushu, a rhythmic martial art form.

Abrid Shine | Photo Credit: Special arrangement

What is The Kung Fu Master about?

It is a musical action drama set in the Himalayas. Neeta and Jiji Scaria play siblings Ritu and Rishi respectively. Jiji is a qualified Wing Chun practitioner. They are pitted against a criminal gang, also trained in martial arts.

Conventional action movies in Malayalam are essentially about the tussle between the hero and the villain. How different is The Kung Fu Master?

(Laughs) It is on the same lines, except in this film, the female and the male lead take on the villain together. The Kung Fu Master is a mix of action sequences, sound effects and music, which should make it an interesting theatrical experience. Besides Wing Chun, there are other martial art forms such as karate, kalaripayattu and taekwondo.

Malayalis are generally particular about a credible storyline...

Even while working on my earlier films, I was warned that the movies did not follow conventional narrative patterns. Nevertheless, it was well received by viewers. As a filmmaker, my attempt has always been to offer something new for the audience.

The Kung Fu Master has an interesting storyline. However, I have intentionally given a gist of the story in the title.

When the trend is in favour of realistic tales, what made you come up with an action drama?

Although I have never deliberately set out to make realistic movies, my previous movies were in that genre. The Kung Fu Master had to be treated differently. It had to be a pure martial arts film.

What was the shooting of the film like?

The process was difficult yet interesting. The fight sequences had to look convincing, especially when the heroine was up against trained men. The action choreography went on for almost 10 months. Shooting the stunts in the snow-filled terrain was not easy. Our idea was to present a film with a different visual experience, good music and a story that connected emotionally.

Are viewers willing to accept movies without big stars if the content is interesting?

I feel such films have always been there in Malayalam, right from Manjil Virinja Pookkal in the 1980s to Angamaly Diaries in recent times.

As a filmmaker, you seem to mix offbeat themes with commercial elements. Is that your concept of filmmaking?

I don’t have a definite explanation for this. The climax of 1983 and Poomaram were almost poetic, unlike formulaic endings. I would say several influences, including my stint as a photographer, have shaped my thoughts.

Both 1983 and Poomaram didn’t celebrate heroism...

I actually love heroism. One of my all-time favourite movies is Sphadikam, which is all about the ‘hero’. Though 1983 was inspired by my fascination for cricket, the agony the lead character goes through because of his not reaching anywhere in life despite his skills as a cricketer, was created to make the storyline more hard-hitting.

As a filmmaker, you are known to be a stickler for perfection.

I aim to give my best in each of my films. I am aware that those who come to watch my movies have seen more movies than I have. That thought always make me try to better myself.
    THREADS
    The Kung Fu Master
    Wing Chun in Movies
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart