Thread: Northern Mantis styles compared

8stepsifu Guest

Northern Mantis styles compared

I've heard on here that 7 star is more about small cirles and more angular and that plum flower is more about large circles and is a more flowy style. Is there any truth to this.

Is 6 Harmonies a mix of 7 star and plum flower?

Has anyone heard of the Mantis festival that they have in China where all the Mantis masters go and give exhibitions? Has anyone gone?

don't worry be happy

Olethros Guest

Which plum flower?

Are you referring to Plum Flower or Plum Flower Tai Chi?

8stepsifu Guest
    plum flower...I have no idea what plum flower Tai chi mantis is.

Plum Flower and 7 Star are the main styles wang long taught.

don't worry be happy

18elders Guest

plum flower tai chi

There isn't a plum flower tai chi mantis system.Master Jang from Shandong calls his style that but it is just that he puts some chen tai chi flavor to his mantis but there really isn't a plum flower tai chi mantis system.

bamboo_ leaf Guest
    18elders, your e-mail is not listed.
    If possible I would like to correspond with you.
    My e-mail is bamboo_leaf_09@hotmail.com

Thank you.

enjoy life

bamboo leaf

mantis108 Guest

7 Stars, Mui Fah &Tai Chi

This is my own understanding of the topic and do not represent other TCPM practitioners view.

According to lineage chart in the TCPM Wooden Dummy Book, Mui Fah and Tai Chi was splitted since Master Sun Yuen Cheong (Tai Chi) and Kong Hop Lung (Mui Fah),who taught Master Chi and Master Yam, who were the masters of Sigung Chui Chuk Kai. There were possibly many other practitioner out there other than Sigung. But it is generally acknowledged that Sigung is the Grandmaster of TCPM. In his lineage, IMHO, there are 3 major influences - Taijo Moon (TaiTzuMen ?), Tai Chi Praying Mantis, and Tai Chi (Taijiquan - Chen style small cycles).

TCPM (and Mui Fah) is know as hard/soft style. IMHO, there are a few differences between 7 Stars and TCPM (not sure about Mui Fah for I have not seem much of it). Hands wise, 7* has a lot more "volley" of hand techs.; whereas, TCPM has more "spaced out" (even) hand techs. This may be the influence of the Taijiquan? Footwork is more reminiscent of Taijo's Long Fist which is more "rooted" than the monkey footwork in 7*. It also retains the "stomp" which can be found in Chen style Taijiquan (also said to be derived from Taijo Moon). Methodology wise, TCPM has quite am emphasis on the Sau Fa (Duan Da) platform which make the numbers of forms much more smaller and managerable (at least for me :D) . We also have a lot of trappings and takedowns (the third act as in a play) ;)in TCPM.

Just a thought

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa