Thread: What is Pentagon?

What is Pentagon?

Hi

I watched a video today
    There is a dojo and in that place there are triangles drawn on the floor for training. But I saw also a pentagon was drawn.
    That was drawn in a sign looks like a flower with 5 leaf.
    Is there any traning method like triangle's one
    or
    What are the meaning of the pentagon and the sign looks like flower in Wing Chun terminology?

PS:
    Here is the link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5cw5qW5-X0
    You can see it at 0.13 min. clearly

Thats a great video what lineage is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Looking at the pants with red trim line, id say thats from Leung "the women destroyer" Ting's Line although to me it seems they have a mix of a few other styles in there... i see different knife work and maybe some savate.

So if anyone really wants to find out about thier training and/or use of the pentagon etc id PM the video poster on youtube... but perhaps they use it for training stepping shapes simlar to or in place of the plum blossom piles/poles... only on the ground just a guess.

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Well it says Wing Tsun.

Looking at the bio he has had some training with William Cheung, Keith Kernspect and Leung Ting.

Hello,

I did not watch the video so I can not comment on the content;

However, several different arts utilize patterns for footwork and body mechanics training. Silat and Kuntau often utilize patterns with triangle and intersecting lines as well as circles, Various styles of Bagua also do the same. I recall seeing a pattern in a book by Ed Parker which was called the "Universal Pattern". It was essentially a drawing of circles, triangles etc which allegedly showed every possible angle of movement.

Patterns are good for initial learning of foowork but one should always step outside the box for application.

Take it FWIW which may be nothing
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Yeah, nice dance steps. Maybe the plum blossom symbolizes the big bouquet they hope to get at the end of their performance.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan