Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who here has a home gym to train MA?

I have an unfinished basement in a row house in Brooklyn, with a yard. I walk Bagua circles around the fire pit and train with the bokken indoors.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

No_Know Gym Area Mention to One Called Yung Apprentice

No forms or qigong mentions, just places and contents and how used.

My so-called home practice place used to be the equipment room in the basement (where fuses are.) I had three foot by three foot by one inch tiles/slabs of a white marble. I used the marble on my hip/back for Lying Tiger/ Sleeping Tiger(cyclical push-ups.) (two or three times ever). A broken one with the height but nearly half the width was for lifting practice (elbows down.

I used the concrete(cinder blocks) that made-up a basement wall to practice striking for palms, forearms, elbows, knees and thighs.

Staff practice in the garage extinguishing candle flames and thrusting and smashing with stance and footwork.

Weapons were kept wherever in the house-place.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    My home training is in my backyard. My equipment for solo training consists of a freestanding striking dummy, 2 12kg & 1 16kg kettlebells, a skipping rope & an old tyre on a pole for stick & weapon practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Apprentice View Post
    Whats your opinions on a Muay Thai bag or banana bag taking the place of a heavy bag?
    A MT Bag is a heavy bag, just longer, not sure what your question is...
    Some MT bags are a tad narrow, but you can get a 'regular" diameter MT bag too.
    Unless there is a height restriction, MT bags are just fine, however, if you like to train "groin" kicks and knees on the bottom of a bag, then MT bags are not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    A MT Bag is a heavy bag, just longer, not sure what your question is...
    Some MT bags are a tad narrow, but you can get a 'regular" diameter MT bag too.
    Unless there is a height restriction, MT bags are just fine, however, if you like to train "groin" kicks and knees on the bottom of a bag, then MT bags are not for you.
    yes, sphere bags are best for upper cut and knee training on a hanging bag.
    otherwise get a partner to hold the thai pads for you and wail away. they are great for that too.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The backyard is our at home training area, we have
    heavy bag
    focus mits
    large kick pad
    kick paddle
    light dumb bells used while punching the bag
    stacked bricks in place of plum poles
    machete that is used to cut down bamboo, gives you a good workout
    bamboo poles used for blocking practice
    stationary bike
    a grappling/throwing dummy
    finally a sheet of plywood with holes in it that are numbered, this is used for focus striking, as a number is yelled out and the striker has to hit the numbered hole that was mentioned and so on.
    not much but it does the job.
    as for strenght training we use mainly different drills that involve using your own body weight. thanks
    Forget about Yesterday, Live for Today and Pray for Tomorrow
    www.Weaponsathand.com

My wife's ballet school is attached to our house. When the kiddies aren't there, I've got a 8mx10m space for training with a wooden floor & two walls of mirrors. Ceilings are 4m high - plenty of room for weapons. Outside I've got a heavy bag plus a stack of tires.

One stipuation for me to move from NYC to Georgia was a Home Gym/studio.
    Since I was the one building my home it wasn'tthat difficult only cost a bit more on the mortgage

1000 sq ft - more or less usable space (mostly in a rectangle configuration)

10 ft high ceilings (paid extra for that) but being built on a sloping yard there is a convient entrance to the yard.

Having run a school in the bronx I ahd all my old training equipment.

Weapons, heavy bags, Shields, Mits, Mats.

newest additions were a multip purpose cybex system and a couple of wooden dummies of different desings (actually made out of industril plastic piping).

Its actually nice of have all my books videos etc. in the place where I train & teach.

Another stipulation before I relocated was a nice piece of land. 2 acres with a lake. Taken about 6 years to clear/landscape the property so that it pleases the wife but also usable for outside training. Heavy Bags, Level ashalt basketball court (still haven't installed the hoops), a Bagua Forest that also doubles as plum blossom footwork poles.

The only draw back is locating training partners who aren't flakes or lazy.