Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Linguistc Help

Need Linguistc Help

Question for Chinese speakers,

in the words Tai, Kit, and Kune, what might the word "Kit" mean?

Is this a Mandarin, Cantonese or Hakka word?

The Translation, I am told is "Grand Snake Fist", but I am not sure that is right.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

it is cantonese for 太极拳

cantonese: taai-gihk-kyùhn
    mandarin: tàijíquán

太 (taai, tài) = very, too, much, big, extreme, etc..
    极 (gihk, jí) = extreme, utmost, ultimate, furthest, etc..
    拳 (kyùhn, quán) = fist, (form of) boxing.

"taiji boxing", the form of boxing based on the taiji symbol.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Question for Chinese speakers,

in the words Tai, Kit, and Kune, what might the word "Kit" mean?

Is this a Mandarin, Cantonese or Hakka word?

The Translation, I am told is "Grand Snake Fist", but I am not sure that is right.
    snake is 蛇.

mandarin: shé
    cantonese: sèh
    hakkanese: sa

there is no "kit" in mandarin, and no "kit" means snake in cantonese or hakkanese.

however, "kit" is hakkanese for 极 as posted above in "taijiquan", but kyùhn in cantonese is more like "kien" (almost like "can" with a "y", "kyan") in hakkanese (dont know how to romanize hakkanese).

so i'm going to stick with it being cantonese for 太极拳 (canto.: taai-gihk-kyùhn, mand.: tàijíquán, hakka.: tai-kit-kien), just with improper romanization.. and apparently, translation.

hard to be certain without a character.
    Last edited by LFJ; 05-22-2009 at 04:09 PM.

So Tai Kit Kune is Hakka for Tai Chi Quan?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Here is a web site that teaches the style, can you guys read the Symbols?

http://www.cobrakai-kungfu.net/Grandmaster.html

For the Women:

+ = & a

well, since "kune" is the pronunciation of 拳 in cantonese, properly romanized in the yale system as kyùhn, i'm going to assume its cantonese rather than hakkanese, because 拳 in hakkanese is pronounce kien (closer to "can", rather than "coon").

because kune is improperly romanized, i would assume that "kit" is also an improper romanization of 极 in cantonese, which should be gihk, and not hakkanese. otherwise they wouldnt write "kune" with that "oo" sound if it were hakkanese.

basically, as far as i can estimate, it is cantonese for 太极拳.

mandarin: (hanyu pinyin) tàijíquán, (wade-giles) t'ai4 chi2 ch'üan2
    cantonese: (yale) taai-gihk-kyùhn, (jyutping) taai3 gik6 kyun4
    hakkanese: tai kit kien

no idea where a translation of "snake" could come from. would be quickly solved if we had a character.

yes, the characters are 蛇形拳, "snake-shaped boxing". 蛇形 means coiled like a snake, in snake form.

however, there is no "tai" and no "kit";

mandarin: shéxíngquán
    cantonese: sèh-yìhng-kyùhn

i have no idea how he get tai kit to ground snake or grand snake or wutever snake
    lol....
    sound bogus

Why are you shocked at the class schedule?

For the Women:

+ = & a

In "Cobra Kai", could the "Kai" be the same a Pai, like family?

For the Women:

+ = & a

This is another of thier schools.

Does anyone see anything that can be made sense of?

For the Women:

+ = & a

It says the style was created by Cheung Sam Fung in 206 BC? Is that Cantonese for Chang Zhang Feng, fabled founder of taijiquan?

For the Women:

+ = & a

If it is indeed...

Tai Chi Chuan/ Tai Ji Quan ,could it be they call it Grand Snake Style and have left out the Crane aspect??? That is if you believe that Tai Chi was based on the fight between the snake and crane.......

Why are you shocked at the class schedule?
    because of the ratio of total training time to monthly price. its a bit steep.

In "Cobra Kai", could the "Kai" be the same a Pai, like family?
    not if they are sticking with chinese dialects. its basically the same in cantonese; pāai. (mandarin: pài)

It says the style was created by Cheung Sam Fung in 206 BC? Is that Cantonese for Chang Zhang Feng, fabled founder of taijiquan?
    you mean zhang sanfeng? thats what it appears to be, which fits with the "tai kit kune" actually being an improper romanization of taijiquan in cantonese. but that date would be off.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Tai Chi Chuan/ Tai Ji Quan ,could it be they call it Grand Snake Style and have left out the Crane aspect??? That is if you believe that Tai Chi was based on the fight between the snake and crane.......
    if they are going with the fabled founder of taijiquan, zhang sanfeng, then possibly.

as far as i can tell, their "tai kit kune" is an attempt to transliterate taijiquan in cantonese.

and the founder as "cheung sam fung" is an attempt to transliterate zhang sanfeng's name in cantonese.

and......

"cobra kai", i thought was the name of the dojo in the movie "karate kid"....
    Last edited by LFJ; 05-23-2009 at 04:12 PM.