Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: question about siu nim tao

question about siu nim tao

hello hello everyone,

someone on this forum mentioned that siu num tao is used for chi cultivation. does this mean siu nim tao is a qigong form? please explain in detail so ill understand. thank you.

Opinions vary.

Mine is that there are better and more targeted qigong exercises.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

^
    Agreed.

Thats not to say you can't learn and incorporate, though.

does practicing siu nim tao alone actually develop chi? or is siu nim tao used to improve or enhance chi work after chi itself is developed through other qi gong exercises? again, please explain in detail.

You're asking the impossible. If you believe in chi and your teacher teaches you SLT as a chi kung I'm sure it's enough, depending on what purpose your teacher defines its chi movement as being for.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas316 View Post
    does practicing siu nim tao alone actually develop chi? or is siu nim tao used to improve or enhance chi work after chi itself is developed through other qi gong exercises? again, please explain in detail.
    Siu Nim Tao is the first form of Wing Chun, it is primarily for training the most fundamental and important concepts of wing chun.

During practice and training, your breathing will cultivate the qi within you.
    Correct breathing methods will increase oxygen intake, increase lung capacity, in return increase the efficiency and robustness of your bodily functions, making you less easy to wear out, "lasting power".

This is why from a scientific point of view, practicing Wing Chun also makes one more healthy.

Therefore it is very important to practice Siu Nim Tao once a day. For me i practice it definitely once before any training, and once to end any training.

Hope this little knowledge i have helps.

long story and most doesnt know or doesnt want to know but think they know.

also, most want to be expert of either defend it or agaisnt it.

What is it? how can one know what is it if one have never seen one or meet one or eat one or attain one or practice one?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    You're asking the impossible. If you believe in chi and your teacher teaches you SLT as a chi kung I'm sure it's enough, depending on what purpose your teacher defines its chi movement as being for.
    IMHO,

it is not impossible. in fact it is very clear. but most refuse and against it for all kind of reason or for the reason of to against.

I do a "martial" art for it's "martial" methods. I can get my spiritual fix elsewhere. To me SLT is the home keys for fighting.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I do a "martial" art for it's "martial" methods. I can get my spiritual fix elsewhere. To me SLT is the home keys for fighting.
    it is not todo with spiritual it is on a lost technology.

The sil lim form is just the first of the forms in the first stages of your WC training. You develop your stance, foot spacing, and your hand fighting techniques. You practice them in a way that you can become fluid with both hands equally, and you develop the proper applications of said techniques by being able to go from one to the next and do them efficiently. When I was first learning, I would do this form several times in the morning and several times in the evening, and several times in between. First would be very slow and methodical. This was to develop accuracy in application. Then faster and faster each time, but not any faster than I could maintain my complete accuracy in application. I don't think you are going to be able to develop chi during this time. That comes with later. And chi is not some mystical power that you can summon like the force.
    This form is done in a way that you learn to root from a neutral YGKYM stance, which can be shifted from one side to the next. And you can alter this form in any way you wish if it will help develop a particular skill that is lacking in some way. It's name implies that you use a little bit of imagination here.

Ok,

I am in the mood to stir things up.

OK,

I am partitioning them a few different section from mind to body to qi....etc.

This is the first step into the journey of SNT/SLT. since it is real fighing stuffs then it is about preparing for life and death, so might as well get to the root.

1, the mind platform.

What is Siu Nim Tau means in the mind platform?

View the following two clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ9S4lpDdUU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0tLVQLSlsE&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NovDybLo9yo&NR=1

From these clips.

make sure you know why is it called Siu Nim Tau or think - less.

and

make sure you know Silence is not Sitting in meditation or reside in not action at all or shutdown everything.

make sure you know the different between what the common logic and the path the ancient SLT practitioner take. missing this basic will throw one 1000 miles off. one will never enter the door of SLT/SNT if the path is off.

So, the core of the SLT/SNT is to let go of what one attached instead of attached to wanting to achive or making something. That is silence. Let go and Trust forward. The core of the core and enter into AWARENESS.

get this straight before step into SLT/SNT journey. You need this platform for the body and Qi.

Thus, it is called Siu Niem Tau because the more one train the less one raises the consciouos mind.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 05-24-2009 at 11:45 PM.

2, Physical platform

LET THE FOUR ELEMENTS GO, DO NOT GRASP AT THEM.
    THE NATURE OF STILL QUIESCENCE ACCORDS WITH DRINKING AND EATING.
    ALL ACTIVITIES ARE IMPERMANENT; EVERYTHING IS EMPTY.
    THAT IS THE GREAT AND PERFECT ENLIGHTENMENT OF THE TATAGATHA. ---Song of Enligthement.

The principle of mind realm is Let Go the attachement. in the realm of physical, the same let go applied. Thus, it says in the song of enligthement above --
    LET THE FOUR ELEMENTS GO, DO NOT GRASP AT THEM.

Mind and body are just the two faces of a coin. If one attached to they are different and in seperation, the Mind and body will not return to non dual but keep seperate and keep not function properly.

With the core principle Let Go or Non attached. One bring both the mind and body return to Non dual. The process of practise eventhough seems to be different however the the core is the same and simple - Let Go.

So then some ask, why is then I was not taugh to let go but concave my chest?
    well, Concave the chest is just a finger pointing to the moon. It is a guiding instruction to let go of one's stiff push out chest habit or physical attachment.

Concave the chest is not the ultimate truth. it is just a finger pointing to the moon for some beginer who needs it, it is a conditional guide line not a universal truth.

Anyone who know let go the stuckness automatically know, while inhale one's head, spine and diaphram move in a direction of chin up, convex of chest, the tail bone release toward back.
    while exhale one's head, spine and diaphram move in a direction of chin down,concave the chest, tail bone tug front.
    and, deep abdomen breathing comes effortly naturally.

those above just nature cyclic rhythm of physical head, spine, diapham...etc; forcing it one way or holding it the other way is only make one's physical break out of the Nature rhythm or stuck, that can be easily monitor via how effortless the breathing. a proper rhythm of spine and diaphram yeild an effortless breathing and agile movement....

But, when some who dont understand the core principle of LET GO, keep grasping and hold on to partial ; and taking the finger as moon there is where the problem rises. and it has been like that since 1850.

Some also argue about the foot or the heel.... rooting... all sort of things. Same thing, no need to argue or interplate, just let go and see for oneself what it is without force things with one's mind ignorantly.

These are all cause by do not understand the core principle --- LET Go.
    but cling on some idea or grasping something thinking that will make them superior unknowing that actually make them stuck.

The effect of Flow in physical action is based on Let Go, The effect of sharp awareness is based on Let Go or non attached otherwise one becomes dull/ insensitive/ stuburn. so Let Go let Go, there is only one Let Go. Thus, SLT is simple and direct, one doesnt practice ten millions stuffs but Letting Go.

The more one Letting Go the more the mind get clear/Sharp the more one Aware. The more one Letting Go the more the Body becomes ALive and agile and flow.

Let Go is mind less and effortless. That is what the Practitioner of SLT invest on and make perfect.

That is why SLT/SNT practice can result in

Come accept, goes send it back, Let go thrust forward, using silence to lead action.

As for the attaiment,
    Due to different people have different mind and physical attachement or habit. everyone will face a different condition to let go one's own attachment.

Thus, it is said, "there is nothing to boast about my Kung Fu, it is only my job to get rid of my own dirty clothing or attachment." that is what the cultivation/training is about.

LET GO LET GO nothing more then LET GO just let go and that is living in now, no preparation, no fear.

Thus, it is called Siu Lien Tau because the more one train in it the more one knows the details ; and the less one does something ignorantly , if facts one is in the path of doing nothing.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 05-25-2009 at 06:55 AM.

3. Qi platform

When the Mind and physical Platform is proper. The Qi platform will surface naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Then faster and faster each time, but not any faster than I could maintain my complete accuracy in application. I don't think you are going to be able to develop chi during this time. That comes with later. And chi is not some mystical power that you can summon like the force.
    This form is done in a way that you learn to root from a neutral YGKYM stance, which can be shifted from one side to the next. And you can alter this form in any way you wish if it will help develop a particular skill that is lacking in some way. It's name implies that you use a little bit of imagination here.
    This is incorrect but however your school might be different.

First, you do not go faster and faster. Secondly, sifu will teach correct breathing methods during execution, this in turn cultivates chi. Thirdly,shifting of ma is further taught in chum kiu and not slt although sifu may impart a little during chisao.