Thread: David vs Goliath

David vs Goliath

Saw this article referenced on a Japanese language learning forum, of all places.
    I think as fighters we should all be looking for ways to defeat Goliath, I mean, isn't that what martial arts are all about at their core essence?

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...printable=true

discuss...
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

can you put it in a nutshell? that was some really not to the point writing.
    ouch!

Kung Fu is good for you.

Having been, typically, the runt of the class, MA was always about beating the big guy for me.
    Kyokushin being "no weight category" fighting, made that even more of an issue, LOL !
    Grappling became a crucial element, but, when you face people that are 50, 80 or 100lbs heavier than you are and strong as oxes, you learn that size matters.
    And I found that the only way to overcome it is, to quote Clubber Lang"
    PAIN.
    A smaller person must develop their ability to inflict pain and incapacitate to the fullest extent.
    Every strike must be a knock out strike, truly the "one punch, one kill" view.
    Fighting someone 20lbs heavier is nothing compared to fighting someone that is almost 1 foot taller and 100 lbs heavier !
    yeah, it was a kyokushin match and he was 6-4 and 245lbs, I was at the time, 5-6 and 145.
    yep, that was an eye opener.

how'd that one turn out?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    can you put it in a nutshell? that was some really not to the point writing.
    ouch!

you're probably just being sarcastic but here goes:
    "David can beat Goliath, but he has to think outside the box and also substitute hard work for natural ability"
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    how'd that one turn out?
    He won be decision, but at least I didn't get Ko'd !!
    LOL !
    I got a good one in though, a low round to the inside leg that brought him down, followed a "scuffle"
    I got in a few nice body shots that rocked him but he sent me flying with a front kick and knocked my legs out from under me with his low round.
    Nice guy too, we had a beer after

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    yeah, it was a kyokushin match and he was 6-4 and 245lbs, I was at the time, 5-6 and 145.
    yep, that was an eye opener.

Oh yeah, how tall are you now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Oh yeah, how tall are you now?
    I think I shrunk after that fight, he axe kicked me !!

Smartass !