Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing

If you are looking to research boxing power generation methods one of the best ways is to go read Jack Dempsey's work and his falling/drop step method.
    Regards

Lifting and rotating the heal allows you to get maximum power for shots such as the cross or hook. This is madatory in just about all activities that require maximum power development in a non-vertical plane (punching, tennis strokes, golf drives, shot putting, discus, baseball swings, throwing a ball for distance or speed).

Lifting the heel also allows for maximum extension in the rear punching arm.

Knifefighter has caught the correct!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I fight orthodox and my right heel lifts up during the cross. It goes up very little on hooks, if any. When you're boxing, you spend most of the time on your toes (unless you happen to be a brawler/puncher). When you go for a power shot, you want to start with both heels on the ground if you have the time. When I do a one-two, my weight begins mostly on my back (right) leg and my the weight is on the ball of my foot. I take a quick step forward with my left foot, planting the whole foot on the ground. As I step, my hips twist so my left side is more towards the target. As part of this motion, my left shoulder follows the hips and my left hand shoots out in a jab. As I jab, my weight shifts so it is divided equally between my two legs. As I pull back the jabbing hand, my right heel comes off of the ground, I push forward with my right leg, my hips twist the opposit way they did when I was jabbing, my right shoulder follows the hips, and my right arm shoots out towards the target with a lot of my weight behind it. At the end of the cross. my weight is mostly on my left (front) foot, my hips are completely open to the target, and my right foot is on the ball of the foot. This is an oversimplified description, but maybe it will give you a better idea of the power generation. If you want to see it, look at some videos of muhammed ali. He was ALWAYS on his toes, and therefore didnt use a lot of his power. Then look at a good puncher. Try Mike Tyson in the 80's. Notice how he will plant his feet and then move his weight into a power shot. As he moves his weight, his rear heel comes up on crosses and he pushes forward from the ball of his rear foot.
    "That is because you are stupid"
    -Zorro

I fight orthodox and my right heel lifts up during the cross. It goes up very little on hooks, if any. When you're boxing, you spend most of the time on your toes (unless you happen to be a brawler/puncher). When you go for a power shot, you want to start with both heels on the ground if you have the time. When I do a one-two, my weight begins mostly on my back (right) leg and my the weight is on the ball of my foot. I take a quick step forward with my left foot, planting the whole foot on the ground. As I step, my hips twist so my left side is more towards the target. As part of this motion, my left shoulder follows the hips and my left hand shoots out in a jab. As I jab, my weight shifts so it is divided equally between my two legs. As I pull back the jabbing hand, my right heel comes off of the ground, I push forward with my right leg, my hips twist the opposite way they did when I was jabbing, my right shoulder follows the hips, and my right arm shoots out towards the target with a lot of my weight behind it. At the end of the cross. my weight is mostly on my left (front) foot, my hips are completely open to the target, and my right foot is on the ball of the foot. This is an oversimplified description, but maybe it will give you a better idea of the power generation. If you want to see it, look at some videos of muhammed ali. He was ALWAYS on his toes, and therefore didnt use a lot of his power. Then look at a good puncher. Try Mike Tyson in the 80's. Notice how he will plant his feet and then move his weight into a power shot. As he moves his weight, his rear heel comes up on crosses and he pushes forward from the ball of his rear foot.
    -Zorro

oops, sorry for the double post
    -Zorro

All right then....so it seems as if all replies to this question have been "Yes, in boxing, the heel comes up."

Now, in Shaolin, I have been taught that one should pivot from and keep grounded the heels to get a "push" through the heel, up the leg into the waist, thus expressing power through the arm to the hand. I have also learned the other method of raising the heel in karate style and boxing. So my question to you all is, have you also tried both methods and if so, which do you prefer?
    "I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!

The balls of your feet are the gas pedal.

The heels are your brakes.

which do you prefer?
    depends

on range, twist, etc....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Maybe it would be more clear to ask them if they're rooting through the ball of the foot or through the heel? For instance, even if you're rooting through the heel, the heel of one foot may lift up (if you're rooting through the other heel). I don't know anything about "shaolin", but you see this in the "internals" if you're advancing and rooting through the front foot, and the rear one does a follow step (rather than doing a bow as maybe is the more common way for shaolin?). Eg. (1) (2) (3) (4) from http://www.emptyflower.com

Sounds perhaps what like lowsleep was describing?

Thanks for the replies.
    "Try to use that one legged crane stance when 50 sumo wrestlers are all around you, and then your going to get sumoed." - Ralek

Boxing

Throughout my sparring experiences, i find that the most difficult type of fighter to deal with is a boxer. They throw stiff, quick jabs and they can move well, making them hard to hit. What defense strategies should a mantis practitioner use against a boxer? Should we venture into learning boxing techniques such as slipping, ducking ect and incorporating them into mantis training in order to deal with this threat? Comments

what about using push kicks to keep them out of punching range. A lot of boxers have trouble defending agains kicks.

I'm new to the art, but i think if we get in close and use a lot of trapping techniqes. Boxers dont really learn how to defend against that, watch one on tv when the start hugging each other they both look really confused. Also my sifu had eluded to the fact that we will learn differnent body movements to absorb the hits, or move part of our body out of harms way.

well if you were truly going to fight a boxer, lets say a real fight, no rules, just kick low at the knee caps