Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing

dragonzrage-

if you are boxing an opponent who is larger than you and of equal or greater skill, you are done, that is all.

on the street...well whatever, I am pretty sure that most of the keyboard warriors in here have never taken any licks on the street the way they talk total garbage.

don't misquote me, been there and done and got the t-shirt

honestly I have no idea where some of you guys are coming from at times.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Unmatchable and KL are both being ridiculous.

Unamatchable - size always matters. ALWAYS. It's not always the most important thing, but it can never be discounted.

KL - size is not ever the only thing that matters - larger and stronger opponents can be outsmarted, outlasted, outmaneuvered, outsped, or defeated by any number of other strategies.

Both of you, pull your heads out your asses.

edit - okay, crossposted with KL.

So, your claim is only regarding opponents of "equal or greater skill" now? That's not what you said before. Keep backpedaling, you'll get to correct eventually.
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 03-27-2004 at 04:15 PM.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

in a boxing match unlike a streetfight you can't hit the guy's nuts or throat which will often end the fight right there. Also you have gloves and sometimes on street one good lucky punch is enough for the guy to quit or a lucky chin ko and than stomps. Plus it's completly different, the adrenaline and the fact that in streetfights most including pro boxers rely on instinct and most of the stuff they do goes out the window. That's why it's a spot.

uh listen chang style, whenever you actually find the time to actually go out and actually box with someone, then please feel free to enter back into the debate.

you guys that haven't been in a real fight probably haven't got6 advice for this guy so i have no idea why you're trying to come across like you are skilled and experienced fighters.

You aren't, so don't make like you are. If you were, you would know better than to talk the shiot you are talking.

Big guy beats the crap out of small guy everytime in a square circle with gloves on, particularly if equally skilled.

Don't kid yourself with a bunch of movie time jet li fantasy crap.

The big Tiger crushes the small dog every time. In order for it to be the other way around then the small dog has to train his @ss off.

No backpedaling here , just saying and if you guys haven't done any knockig around then all you should be advising this guy to do is just have fun and be careful, don't go leading him to believe he can take on the world because that simply isn't true.

Frigging dreamers I tell ya! lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Boxing Trainers always take great care in setting up their boxers with other boxers. Makeing sure they are evenly matched.
    All the factors mentioned come into play when faced with an oppenent in a ring. heart is not something that can be mesured but it also plays a big role.

In the street, ones MA/CMA/IMA is thought to be a major factor in minimizing the differences and increases ones chances of surviving the encounter. Even then if your skill is not quite up to the level, size, strength and speed will matter.

feet dont fail me now
    Last edited by bamboo_ leaf; 03-27-2004 at 04:44 PM.
    enjoy life

I may not be able to box, but I can read, dumb-ass.

You're backpedalling. You said one thing, then you said another.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

you can beat a bigger guy if you are alot more skilled but if you only have a few months of boxing practise than...

wtf is the problem here?

dodger87 is sparring with his friends.

He's trying to participate and hasn't the physical means to get much out of it relative to the people he's training with.

The strategies and the drill I outlined will enable him to train with his friends and put him on a more equal footing, all things considered. Some of the advice people have given is sound, and has been proven effective for decades.

Our core group has always had the lighter, smaller guys sparring the big guys, and they've all done just fine. It's just training. dayum...

kung lek wrote:
    ...don't go leading him to believe he can take on the world because that simply isn't true
    how the hell do you read that into what's being discussed here?
    Tai Chi is

EDIT per Iron Fist
    Last edited by ShaolinTiger00; 03-28-2004 at 03:52 PM.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

"Also you have gloves and sometimes on street one good lucky punch is enough for the guy to quit or a lucky chin ko and than stomps"

This fact is somewhat true, if you do not have gloves in the street and do a full force punch to the chin, depending on the angle of your strike you could ending up breaking your fingers or knuckles, or fuk up your wrist because they are not taped. In the heat of a real fight, if the boxer did not practice natural wrist control, a typical punch with too much force and think that it will be ok because he was used to having wraps/padding.

As for dodger87, I suggest you get some everlast bag gloves: the ones that have adjustable weight in them, up to 2lbs, and do bag work with that.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

Thanks for the tips, but as Kung Lek said its not as easy as you can say. The opponent doesn't exactly leave his body open for me to rush into punch. And going for his head is pretty hard because of my reach so I'd need to be pretty close to him for any kind of head shot even if i rushed in he could just push me back out easily with punches to my body.

Originally posted by SevenStar
    good stuff by ST and shooter.

Dodger, are you smaller AND shorter? What's your range like?
    I'm shorter and less built than these guys, and I'm 100% positive that my arm length would be shorter than these guys.

dodger87, it's probably best to forget about it then. If you're not willing to at least try the drill in good faith, then to hell with you.
    Last edited by Shooter; 03-28-2004 at 10:02 AM.
    Tai Chi is

Originally posted by Unmatchable
    in a boxing match unlike a streetfight you can't hit the guy's nuts or throat which will often end the fight right there.

hitting the throat is not as easy as most people like to think. The real world of resistance is different from the world of cooperation you see in your school.

Also you have gloves and sometimes on street one good lucky punch is enough for the guy to quit or a lucky chin ko and than stomps.

Did you catch Pride: Bushido 2 last week? mario sperry had a one punch KO. That can be done with or without gloves - it depends on where they are hit, and the impact your strike has.

Plus it's completly different, the adrenaline and the fact that in streetfights most including pro boxers rely on instinct and most of the stuff they do goes out the window. That's why it's a spot.

it's time like this where prove what an ignoramus you are...

1. Do you honestly think there's no adrenaline rush when you step into the ring?

2.On the insticnt thing, let me explain that to you...

When the heart rate jumps above a certain point, that mixed with adrenaline makes you forget everything THAT IS NOT INGRAINED as a reflex action. In other words, if you train to strike to the throat, but aren't constantly doing it when you spar, when you are in the street, chances are that you will not do it, because it's not ingrained in you. The boxer spends all of his time punching, moving, etc. What he uses in a fight will be the same as what he uses in the ring. Now, punches that he doesn't use regularly will not be used. Using myself as an example, I don't throw alot of hooks to the body. In a street fight, I would forget that I'd ever learned that technique, because I don't use it.

i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by dodger87
    Thanks for the tips, but as Kung Lek said its not as easy as you can say. The opponent doesn't exactly leave his body open for me to rush into punch. And going for his head is pretty hard because of my reach so I'd need to be pretty close to him for any kind of head shot even if i rushed in he could just push me back out easily with punches to my body.
    He's not supposed to just say "here, I'm open - hit me!"

You're fighting. you have to fight. work your slipping and your movement. you have to work to get yourself inside, just as you would have to in any MA. No it won't be easy. Watching the tyson / lennox fight will show you what can happen if you can't get inside.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter