Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    A lot of it is ring personality, to increase his fame, which has worked out as a brilliant business strategy. Maybe he really is like that, maybe not, but none of us know him personally, so who knows. I think Pacquiao is pretty bad himself... He's very diva-ish lately and in the last few 24/7's you can see how irritated Roach and Ariza have gotten with him, and how disrespectful he's become to them now that he's crazy famous and has Michael Koncz to worship him.
    im much more of a freddy roach fan the a pacman fan... i like his fights, but i always saw him as a bit of a d0rk... im not very interested in who he is... as for mayweather... i think i would respect him more if he isnt acting... you know, i'd rather see him as a b!tch than a sell out... he's a sh!tty role model and the fact that what hes pushing is what sells is exactly what i find disgusting about pop culture... like, im litterally embarassed and ashamed for being raised in a culture that would embrace this sh!t...

Mosley. They don't want a JMM fight because of what happened in the first two JMM fights. The fight is practically signed with Mosley.
    i like mosely... wouldnt bet on him... but ive always been a fan since a first saw him like ten or whatever years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    im much more of a freddy roach fan the a pacman fan... i like his fights, but i always saw him as a bit of a d0rk... im not very interested in who he is... as for mayweather... i think i would respect him more if he isnt acting... you know, i'd rather see him as a b!tch than a sell out... he's a sh!tty role model and the fact that what hes pushing is what sells is exactly what i find disgusting about pop culture... like, im litterally embarassed and ashamed for being raised in a culture that would embrace this sh!t...
    I wouldn't call it being a sell-out. Personalities like Pacquiao's and Mayweather's are what keeps boxing going. I agree that pop culture sucks, but the fact that they can make money off of enough stupid people to keep something that I love, going strong, I can't complain. I don't pay attention to the attitudes anymore, just the fights. I've always disliked Mayweather's personality but when I took that out of the equation, he's a seriously amazing boxer and I'd hate to see him lose to Pacquiao simply because in my opinion, he represents some of the highest level skills in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    i like mosely... wouldnt bet on him... but ive always been a fan since a first saw him like ten or whatever years ago...
    Mosley was great. He doesn't have the physical or mental ability to keep up with Pacquiao anymore though.

I wouldn't call it being a sell-out
    i would... i did... and i will continue to do so aslong as he keeps being the guy he is...

A lot of it is ring personality, to increase his fame, which has worked out as a brilliant business strategy. Maybe he really is like that, maybe not, but none of us know him personally, so who knows. I think Pacquiao is pretty bad himself... He's very diva-ish lately and in the last few 24/7's you can see how irritated Roach and Ariza have gotten with him, and how disrespectful he's become to them now that he's crazy famous and has Michael Koncz to worship him.
    Pacquaio has always been like this. I think it was his loss against Morales where Roach was complaining about Pacquiao spending all night out at the karaoke bar during training camp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTzqr...layer_embedded

He is so insanely popular, but he seems very down to earth, never really bad mouths other fighters. I mean, he could be a complete d ick in real life for all I know but I don't really think he is a diva. Not like Beyonce is a diva.

Mayweather is the opposite, full of s hit talking bravado, flashing wads of cash all over the place. Plays into the whole MTV cribs hip-hop persona, hanging out with 50 cent etc. Could be the sweetest guy in the world for all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Pacquaio has always been like this. I think it was his loss against Morales where Roach was complaining about Pacquiao spending all night out at the karaoke bar during training camp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTzqr...layer_embedded

He is so insanely popular, but he seems very down to earth, never really bad mouths other fighters. I mean, he could be a complete d ick in real life for all I know but I don't really think he is a diva. Not like Beyonce is a diva.

Mayweather is the opposite, full of s hit talking bravado, flashing wads of cash all over the place. Plays into the whole MTV cribs hip-hop persona, hanging out with 50 cent etc. Could be the sweetest guy in the world for all I know.
    u see, thats what im saying... i hope he's a douchebag, coz i can respect that more than just pretending to be one for socio-economic gains... to me, this isnt even a debate... its just a reality... i dont know which one he is, but either way im dissapointed... and thats all based on what he's chosen to show us...

i dont really care about pac one way or the other... he fights good, i like that, but then so does mayweather and i like that too...

but mayweather probably thinks of himself as a newschool jack johnson... where he's wrong is that jack johnoson moved his whole people foreward, mayweather is just leaching off an image purely for personal gains, arguable holding back his whole demographic... so even if jack johnsons reasons were full ego, it was a diff time and far more understandable... walking round with his two whitegirls in tow, jack johnson was an enigma... mayweather is a ****roach...
    Last edited by Syn7; 12-03-2010 at 08:19 PM.

Boxing Question

My next-door neighbor recently joined a local boxing club. He showed up at my door today, wanting to spar. I said sure, and we went off to the park.

Before we started, I assured him that I would not use kicks, throws, grabs, elbows, knees, headbutts, etc.

We started sparring. I sparred using just punches from shoulder width, lead-leg stances. I'd switch lead legs every once in a while, either by stepping back, stepping through, or stepping half-n-half. After about a minute, he said "You can't move your feet like that, you know. It's illegal in boxing. The ref will call you on it."

WTF

I don't know much about boxing, however it's my understanding that, as long as you don't strike or block with the legs, you can use whatever footwork you want. I know that boxers have "preferred stances" and "preferred footwork" but I thought it was just that - "preferred," not written in the rule-book.

Meanwhile, he maintained that the "only legal stance in boxing" was a side-facing, narrow, lead leg stance, "like in fencing."

Can anyone in the know please clarify this for me?
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    There is no set stance in boxing. You can switch up as many times as you want, but most coachs will say its best to stay in one stance.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Thanks for the reply.

Can anyone else confirm this?
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Bare in mind that the only experience I have is Amateure and professional ( semi-pro) rules and trained at only one of the best boxing gyms in Toronto (Sully's Gym).
    The answer is NO, there are NO RULES against switching stances or ANY stances at all.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Bare in mind that the only experience I have is Amateure and professional ( semi-pro) rules and trained at only one of the best boxing gyms in Toronto (Sully's Gym).
    LOL, "only."

The answer is NO, there are NO RULES against switching stances or ANY stances at all.
    I suspected as much. Thank you both for your input (and to couch, who filled me in via email.)

As one who boxes at a boxing gym with absolutely NO professional nor amateur experience...Sanjuro is correct, you can box a horse stance if so choose...I wouldn't recommend it. Most boxing stances are suggested...on your toes, lead leg with one leg back, relatively narrow stance, slight knee bend...but if you watch actually matches, you will see flat footed squared up stances...its all dynamic depending upon your style and what the opponent is doing, or if he's on the ropes so to speak.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

There are no rules against switching stances according to USA Boxing, the major amateur boxing organization you must join in order to fight golden gloves or any other major amateur boxing circuit. In my amateur experience there were guys who would switch stance, but most would fight either orthodox or southpaw and keep that stance.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post

Meanwhile, he maintained that the "only legal stance in boxing" was a side-facing, narrow, lead leg stance, "like in fencing."

Can anyone in the know please clarify this for me?
    Did you even bother to look up a video of someone boxing? Most fighters don't even use that stance. Some fighters using a Philly-shell type defense might use a side-oriented stance, but most boxers have their upper body square to their opponent, with a stance that is kinda like a shortened triangle stance. Feet should width apart one leg a bit forward, one leg a bit back.
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.