Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing

S.Teebas Guest

Boxing

Whos going to win?

There's an upcoming fight between Zab Juda and Koasta Tszu next month. I'm putting my money on the thunder from down under!

S.Teebas

kwokfist Guest
    the thunder from down under? Oh my god, I think I just hit cheese-city.

BAI HE Guest

TEEB

Put your money on Judah. He's got too much speed and pretty good power. I don't think he'll KO Kosta, but he will box away with the win.

Fish of Fury Guest
    i'm backing kostya

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

Western Boxing

What do you think of boxing as a martial art? As a supplement to other martial arts? Good boxers have some of the strongest punches out there and there footwork is pretty good too. I am thinking of training in boxing (if I can find a place...doesnt seem to be a whole lotta good places to lear MA in Lorain, Ohio) What are the weaknesses you see in boxing? It seems like a pretty good art to me, strong pounches, good footwork, decent blocking, and hard training. I have heard a lot of boxers are xsurprised when they are kicked or taken down because thay have never trained for this. Is the style it self vulnerable to lag attacks and takedowns because of the stances, philosophy, etc. or is it just that boxers don't train for this?

lowsweep

P.S. If anyone knows where i could train boxing within 40 mins of Lorain, Ohio, any help would be greatly appreciated. Cleveland is too far, anything in elyria, lorain, lakewood, etc. would be great. Thanks!
    "That is because you are stupid"
    -Zorro

Sorry, I was in a rush, the spelling is terrible...
    "That is because you are stupid"
    -Zorro

Boxing is a sport not an art!

Boxing is a lot of fun. I prefer boxers to the company of a lot of martial arts types due to the intensity of the training.

However, the 'sweet science' has it's limitations. I would look for something more integrated like Muay Thai if I was going down that route.

But if your choice is McDojo or Boxing, do boxing.

Except for pro boxers who focus exclusively on the sport, I am finding more and more boxers that can mix it up. I think the more exposure to other arts there is, the more boxers are prepared for it.

There are other limitations too. Boxing has changed with the evoloution of boxing gloves. Boxers have become headhunters instead of throwing body shots. The head is not a good target for an unconditioned fist.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Its good for a workout, One of the best you can find. Needs leg defenses. Nothing fancy, maybe Wing Chun leg deflections. Possible afew stance changes. Some parrying techniques instead just holding your arms to your body, blindly blocking. Add a few more punches. Keep the evasion training, cant do much better than that. Now theres boxing you can fight with. Additions welcome. Oh yea that reminds me. Train with gloves as little as possible.
    "If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is p00ntang."-Animal Mother

I think the sport vs art thing should not discourage you of taking boxing if you like it.If you can punch and parry/dodge punches and move around,you have weapons to respond to an attacker.Of course boxing is not "absolute fighting" as some like to think of their "arts".You have to be aware of take-down,low kicks and attacks etc. Just know that a real situation cannot be predicted or trained for at 100% and anything can happen in a self-defense context.

Boxing will make u sharp and you will be in the best shape of your life. The punches are simple and economical. However as a self defense system...this depends on how THICK your hands are...can u punch a wall several time and not break your hand!? I can't...Mike Tyson couldn't in his street fight with the one boxer...Vitor Belfort broke his hand a few times...even Tank Abbot too. So becareful...Muy Thai teaches boxing tech also...foot work is different to accomodate the knees and elbows...I find it's more complementary for footwork...besides...in the street or bar or club...u won't be dancing around a lot...
    A

Boxing is a hell of a lot of fun. Unless it directly contradicts what you're being taught in your style, you might as well take it. There's no room in boxing for stuff that doesn't work. It's as effective for fighting as any other style you're likely to find.

As a general rule, when I test myself, I test myself against a boxer.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I feel boxing is the best striking art out there. The weaknesses I see are usualy not from the art itself, but from the boxer himself. How he just sticks to what he is taught in the ring, not being flexible in that sense is a real drawback.
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'

I'm lucky to have a father who was a Golden Gloves boxer years ago. I add boxing to my grappling. You have to know how to box with someone, punch, cover, get hit, recover, counter, etc.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....