Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing

Is anyone here old enough to remember Sandy Saddler?

Pacquaio. Marquez and Mayweather are the three best at around the welter areas.
    Don't forget Cotto and Mosley. Mosley is the champ at 147, after all. And Cotto's only black mark on his record is a loss to Margacheato.

Sandy Sadler- YUP-could really tear up opponents!!

IMO Cotto is good but bot as talented as the others. More predictable. Mosley has revived his career but may well be at the beginning of downward slide. Pacquaio is moving upward but Mayweather and Marquez are at their peak.
    Mosley's revival is in part due to a nose operation to remove inside scar tissue so that he could breathe better..before that he had trouble in late rounds. Marquez and Mayweather dont have
    similar stamina problems in late rounds.

BTW championships are 12 rounders these days... 15 in Sadler's time.

In any case the welterweight classes are filled with talent- compared to the lightheavies and heavies, currently.

joy chaudhuri

Ps

The Sandy Sadler- Willie Pep rivalry and fights were classics. Sadler din't get as much recognition IMO as he deserved. At close quarters Pep was the dirtier fighter....rubbing laces into peoples faces, when the referee's view was obstructed.

joy chaudhuri

Boxing

Any you guys have any experience with boxing clubs/gyms? I've got some questions I'd like to ask someone....
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

I'll try to help if i can...
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I'll try to help if i can...
    Awesome..... First off, I know very little about boxing so these might seem like stupid questions, but I just don't know and I want to ask someone who does.

First, here's what I'm looking at. I currently train judo at a local college, which also has a boxing club. Both are free and train at different dates/times. Do to my work schedule and other commitments I have a hard time making it to every judo class. Most weeks right now I can only make it once a week, and I just missed a month due to my appendix getting taken out. This frustrates me to no end, because I feel like I'm not able to go enough to really progress. This should clear up within the next 9 to 12 months.

Here's my questions about boxing.

1. Is this something that I could work at on my own, at home for instance if I can't make it to class on a regular basis? I have a speed bag and double bag, and also a wavemaster "heavy bag" in my garage, would they be sufficient to keep some of the skills I'm learning up to par if I have to miss a few classes?

2. What are your thoughts regarding light sparring in boxing? My job demands that I sometimes speak before an audience at times, and I'm not really thrilled about, nor would my boss be, coming to work with a busted up face...... he might ask what's going on, and we all know the first rule of fight club is....

3. What are your thoughts on boxing training as a supplement to another art such as judo? I know MT is what every wants to train in my area, but I'm just not into kicks that much. But I guess that's the MMA mindset, but I'm not much into that either....

I'm really just wanting something that I can train along with judo, that is applicable to martial arts also. We have a decent gym at work, but I'm not very interested in doing only weights or the treadmill. I would rather do something more energetic and entertaining I guess.

So, what do you think?
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

Quote Originally Posted by naja View Post
    1. Is this something that I could work at on my own, at home for instance if I can't make it to class on a regular basis? I have a speed bag and double bag, and also a wavemaster "heavy bag" in my garage, would they be sufficient to keep some of the skills I'm learning up to par if I have to miss a few classes?
    I think if you come from a martial arts background, this is a lot more possible.
    The important thing will be picking up proper form when you are able to work with an instructor. The rest of the time, yes, you can practice the rest on your own.

Sparring puts everything in perspective, so whether you plan on doing it or not, you're probably not going to be able to say you can box without it (kinda like judo without randori) - just a heads up.

Boxing's all about repetition. As long as someone's occasionally keeping you honest on your form, the bulk of it you can do yourself.

2. What are your thoughts regarding light sparring in boxing?
    I think the vast majority of your sparring should be sparring with a purpose - ie one guy jabs over and over, the other guy tries not to get hit, switch roles each round. occasionally you'll want to take things out for a test drive. I've never really felt the need to spar hard more than once a week, though I know of some guys that do it 3 times a week or more.

If you're worried about facial injuries, I suggest shelling out the cash (up to $300) for Winning headgear with the face bar. There's really nothing else out there that can compare. It also does more than other headgears when it comes to reducing concussions.

3. What are your thoughts on boxing training as a supplement to another art such as judo? I know MT is what every wants to train in my area, but I'm just not into kicks that much. But I guess that's the MMA mindset, but I'm not much into that either....
    A lot of guys in MMA don't kick much - I'm even talking top guys. So yeah, don't worry about not kicking. Boxing + takedowns works really well if you're thinking of mma - just make sure you have good kick defense. Even if you did do Muay Thai, it's recommended that you spend some amount of time picking up boxing.

I think Boxing and wrestling or Judo are great compliments to any martial art. The only issue can come when body mechanics interfere with each other. In the earlier example of Muay Thai plus boxing- pure muay thai has a very back-weighted stance; boxing is very front-weighted. This can be tricky to put together sometimes. Some guys will shift forward to a front-weighted stance if they plan on punching & that can be a bad "tell" (telegraph).

Just keep separate things separate and you should be good.

So, what do you think?
    I think boxing and judo's a nice combo.
    It's actually the combo I'm looking at for myself.
    I have a bad issue with my hip right now and I'd like to get out of kicking for a bit.
    This kinda stinks because kicks are my most powerful attribute (the only KOs I've done have been by kick).
    The footwork between the two may cause you a few headaches, but nothing major - at least they both recommend staying on your toes.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Thanks for the info. I think it's something I should look into. I have a little bit of an MA background, and I don't think I would get confused on the foot work. It seems natural for me that the two go together well, since judo can be worked in from the clinch so well.

I also have hip issues which cause me problems kicking with my right leg. I've been to the doc and PT over it trying to get it fixed, but it seems like the best fix is to just go light on the kicks.

There are 4 types of sparring I subscribe to:
    Light contact - This is where you and partner go at it, NON-PREARRANGED but work on form, footwork, technique and such, its a learning tool.
    Hard contact- This is sparring in which you and your partner hit HARD ENOUGH to keep it honest but do NOT try to KO they other.
    FUll contact - Knock the MOFU out.
    Most boxing sparring falls into the Hard contact, as does most MT, KB, MMA.

There are 4 types of sparring I subscribe to:
    Light contact - This is where you and partner go at it, NON-PREARRANGED but work on form, footwork, technique and such, its a learning tool.
    Hard contact- This is sparring in which you and your partner hit HARD ENOUGH to keep it honest but do NOT try to KO they other.
    FUll contact - Knock the MOFU out.
    Most boxing sparring falls into the Hard contact, as does most MT, KB, MMA.
    Light, Hard, and Full. Got it. So what's the fourth??

Light, Hard, and Full. Got it. So what's the fourth??
    Well, if your training is co-ed...

Well, if your training is co-ed...
    What?!?! No pics???? Not even from you?!?!?!

Ok, I'll do it then....

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...exy-boxers.jpg

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...onde-boxer.jpg
    Last edited by naja; 07-17-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Absolutely, you can do most of it on your own. I'd suggest getting a round timer, you can grab one for $20 at most fitness stores, and it'll help you keep the same pace as your workouts at the gym.

Also, the Wavemaster is the standup bag, right? I'd suggest ditching that and getting a hanging heavy bag.

2. What are your thoughts regarding light sparring in boxing? My job demands that I sometimes speak before an audience at times, and I'm not really thrilled about, nor would my boss be, coming to work with a busted up face...... he might ask what's going on, and we all know the first rule of fight club is....
    Since you're just starting out, it'd be fine to do light sparring. Once you're ready for hard contact, you have a wide array of headgear to choose from, many designed to protect your face and nose. I don't personally like the ones that cover up your entire face, or cover up the nose, but if you're worried about coming into work with a messed up face, its probably the best choice for you.

New ideas always contribute to new understanding. There are rarely, if ever, times when training another art can be detrimental.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post

Also, the Wavemaster is the standup bag, right? I'd suggest ditching that and getting a hanging heavy bag.
    I would love to, but I don't think I could fit a decent stand for one in my garage and I don't have anything to hang it from......