Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing

boxing is a sport. there are height and weight ranges that you fall into.

generally, when boxing, you don't box someone that is grossly larger or heavier than yourself.

having said that, do your best if you're gonna play around.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Kick him in the nuts.

oops sorry, wrong thread!

You're just gonna have to get owned, but while you are doing so, learn to use your speed, slip his lead, keep the pressure on, trying not to eat too many jabs, and work his inside. I dunno if your usual style has short power, but anyway it's difficult to do with big-ass gloves on, so you could probably do with working combos on a heavy bag before then.

Hands up, chin tucked.

BTW, I'm not very good at boxing (but not a complete slouch either!!), just passing time on the board... so you may want to wait for somebody else's answer!!!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

[QUOTE]boxing is a sport. there are height and weight ranges that you fall into.

generally, when boxing, you don't box someone that is grossly larger or heavier than yourself.
    QUOTE]

KL, you are my Scott Tenorman..

Excuse me now. I'm off to find a pony that will bite off your wiener.

dodger, fighting a bigger guy you need to move and evade on the outside of his range and blast him quickly on the inside and get back out. mobility is the friend of the small man in a boxing ring.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

no-one said this would be easy...
    Last edited by Shooter; 03-28-2004 at 08:59 AM.
    Tai Chi is

oh sorry st00, maybe i should've said boxing is the ancient battlefield art designed to allow smaller opponents destroy larger heavier opponents of equal or greater skill.

peh!

look, boxing with someone bigger and stronger than you is just gonna get you owned, period. so if you wanna get slapped around like a little biotch, by all means go ahead.

now, kungfu is different heh heh, cause there are a lot of dirty thiongs you can do.

but in boxing, you are gonna spend most of your time running away from teh big guy who is coming to smash you. go inside, and you're owned, come to mid range and you are owned, even if you take a suffering on the ropes and try to get some countering going on, you are owned.

go get your pony now st00, cause maybe you should take up horseback riding instead of giving sh.itty advice about boxing.

Ha!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
    dodger, fighting a bigger guy you need to move and evade on the outside of his range and blast him quickly on the inside and get back out. mobility is the friend of the small man in a boxing ring.
    Yeah, that's what I meant to say; getting back out again is useful. But like Shooter also says better than I can, if you can keep the pressure up you should be able to do some damage, and force them to readjust rather than having to risk backpedalling to get outside their range again. **** it, I know what I mean!

Excuse me now. I'm off to find a pony that will bite off your wiener.
    That'll need to be a starving, very brave, excellent-sighted and highly disease-resistant pony then!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

A little kung fu guy would own a big boxer??
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

good stuff by ST and shooter.

Dodger, are you smaller AND shorter? What's your range like?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

instead of giving sh.itty advice about boxing.
    funny you mentioned that.

A guy came to me late Febuary and said he had commited to fighting a boxing match on St. Paddy's day vs. a larger and stronger opponent. He had no prior boxing experience and only some tkd experience many years ago.

myself and another trainer worked with him for 3 weeks of intense training in fact he almost couldn't fight because he had gotten a cold from the heavy training.

He won with a standing 8 count in the third round. His opponent has two black eyes and a nice cut.

my advice must not be too shi.tty..
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Originally posted by Shooter
    Step on their lead foot with yours if you have to.

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    oh sorry st00, maybe i should've said boxing is the ancient battlefield art designed to allow smaller opponents destroy larger heavier opponents of equal or greater skill.

peh!

look, boxing with someone bigger and stronger than you is just gonna get you owned, period. so if you wanna get slapped around like a little biotch, by all means go ahead.

now, kungfu is different heh heh, cause there are a lot of dirty thiongs you can do.

but in boxing, you are gonna spend most of your time running away from teh big guy who is coming to smash you. go inside, and you're owned, come to mid range and you are owned, even if you take a suffering on the ropes and try to get some countering going on, you are owned.

go get your pony now st00, cause maybe you should take up horseback riding instead of giving sh.itty advice about boxing.

Ha!
    And, once again, Kung Lek demonstrates the depth of his ignorance about boxing.

Seriously, KL, if you don't know anything about a subject, shut the **** up. You're just making yourself look stupid.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

ST00 has a point. In boxing if your the guy with the shorter reach, then you need to get on the inside. The problem is getting in. You have to be quick and have a great bob and weave to get on the inside. Once on the inside, never underestimate the power of an uppercut. It can be your best friend or greatest enemy.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Seriously though Kung Lek is right. 9 out of 10 the bigger guy in boxing will win even if he has no experience just look at the technician Sapp and that's with kicks allowed. On the street size doesn't really matter though because it's a whole different ball game.

bite me father dog, I have forgotten more about boxing than you will ever know, so you can stfu on the subject.

and st00 you are so full fo sh.it your eyes are brown.

I have a juvenile boxing record from age 16 -19 can you make the same claim? do you have any record or rank at all?

you guys are such big talkers, but really you're just wankers, so bite me.

get in and out give me a break, look, boxing is sportive. There are weight divisions for a reason. a larger, heavier opponent of equal or greater skill is gonna totally dominate someone with little or no skill.

so give me a break and don't give crappy advice. If you are gonna play around with your friends that's one thing, and all you can say is do the best you can and take it easy if you are grossly outweighed.

don't mess around with full power stuff if you are not correctly matched, anyone who knows anything knows that. so don't listen to these idiots. they are talking total trash.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

"look, boxing with someone bigger and stronger than you is just gonna get you owned, period. so if you wanna get slapped around like a little biotch, by all means go ahead."

"On the street size doesn't really matter though because it's a whole different ball game."

-Oh ok...so lemme get this straight. Since boxing is a sport, a smaller but skilled boxer is always gonna get owned by a bigger opponent even if that opponent has no clue about boxing? And in a full contact match size beats everything just cuz its a sport with certain rules, yet in a streetfight the size issue magically disappears, eh?

Two of the stupidest things that have ever been written on this board. No offense, but these statements are completely ignorant.