Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing

Oh yeah - the double jab is a beautiful thing...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by dodger87
    The opponent doesn't exactly leave his body open for me to rush into punch.
    Originally posted by SevenStar
    work your slipping and your movement. you have to work to get yourself inside, just as you would have to in any MA.
    As you cover or jam his punch, step to go with the force and also push it away/past you while you adjust your angle and position to "cross the T." Crossing the T refers to the relative angles of your hips: imagine two lines drawn straight forward from your hipbones - this describes a "spotlight" where you can output the most power. When you are squared off with someone, both of your spotlights are pointing straight at one another, making an "I" shape. You want to step so that you are no longer in his spotlight, but he is still in yours - making a "T" shape, at least a "y". This way you can hammer him hard and he can't attack or defend too well. You do this by both stepping offline and adjusting your angle by rotating your body (CW or CCW around your spine if you imagine staring down at the top of your head). These are both excellent things to do to avoid the force of a jammed punch, so you kill two birds with one stone on that one (plus, at this point you're adjusting position while he's commited to punching, so it's harder for him to follow you immediately to bring you back to the "I" formation like he wants). Now, as soon as your weight hits into the "T" position, fire off something at the side of his head or floating ribs. Go into a combo then, or more likely - repeat this until he's broken enough that you can segue into a combo.

Watch one of the lighter weight boxing matches and note how they're always adjusting their rear foot - this is what they're doing. If you're fighting out of a boxing frame, you can just emulate them exactly.
    Last edited by Christopher M; 03-28-2004 at 11:27 AM.

Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
    My buddy Tommy who won his fight. (address removed) Forum member TrueWrestler knows him.

The other trainer Jeff Ruth (address removed), whom he worked with. Many forum members know Jeff as well.
    Your friends are going to be p.issed that you posted their addresses here when the spam bots spider through these pages and pick up their addresses.

When posting email addresses on a forum, ESPECIALLY someone else's, you should do it like: emailaddress@NOSPAMhotmail.com or whatever, or email11111addresss@ho111111tmail.com and then tell the person to take out the "1's."
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Iron Fist, thanks for the heads up. *edited*
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

hitting the throat is not as easy as most people like to think. The real world of resistance is different from the world of cooperation you see in your school.
    I'm talking about pre emptive strike.

Did you catch Pride: Bushido 2 last week? mario sperry had a one punch KO. That can be done with or without gloves - it depends on where they are hit, and the impact your strike has.
    pride gloves are different than boxing gloves.

1. Do you honestly think there's no adrenaline rush when you step into the ring?
    It's a different kind of adrenaline rush. On the street it happens fast out of nowhere unexpected and you don't have much time to think about your opponent. ANd most people don't fight in the ring they just spar and take notes from the people that do.

I'd think there would be more adrenaline and nervousness before a ring fight. When you are on the street you may be more arrogant, and the fight may come all of a sudden, no time to get nervous. But Myself, I'd think if a boxer is say in a hotel hallway acting tough, posturing and stuff, that's not how he is before a fight

Originally posted by Unmatchable

pride gloves are different than boxing gloves.

chad dawson vs antonio baker. one punch KO - right hook.

sergio gomez vs damon murillo - right cross.

Yoshimitsu Yashiro vs Hitoshi Onishi

Tyson vs Botha was basically one punch - Tyson didn't land anything solid except for jabs until the fifth, when he caught botha with a hard right.

adrian stone vs farsi musiyiwa

johanna peña vs angela garcia - garcia was unconscious for 5 mins.

Didn't someone knock out lennox lewis with one punch?

Given the power of people like dempsey and marciano, I bet if we researched it, we'd see that they had some one-punch KOs

In some of these, it was past the first round, but the person was active and alert until they got caught with the one punch - still a one punch KO. that just happened to be when they caught the opponent with the right punch at the right time.

It's a different kind of adrenaline rush. On the street it happens fast out of nowhere unexpected and you don't have much time to think about your opponent.

physiologically, no, it's not different. Adrenaline rush is due to the body's response to sudden mental or physical stress. no matter the stimulus, the body's internal response is the same.

ANd most people don't fight in the ring they just spar and take notes from the people that do.

Same thing applies. He's throwing the same punches several hours a day, every day. when he's in the street, that's what he'll use, as that's what's ingrained in him.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

my goodness is there some non sense posted on this thread. My MMA coach is about 135 lbs and regularly hands me my 185 lb @ss in Boxing, Muay Thai, and BJJ. (thank God for the clinch )

I would say that you should work your slips, bab and weave, cavers, parries, and blocks. Develop a solid defense first, then work on your offense.

Same thing applies. He's throwing the same punches several hours a day, every day. when he's in the street, that's what he'll use, as that's what's ingrained in him
    It's not the same thing. Most sparring sessions aren't done at 100% and there is still a sense of security that at any time you can back out and stop the fight or there is a coach watching with medical aid. It's also in a controlled envioerment with shin pads, gloves sometimes headpiece. And you know who you are sparring agains, you know their capabilities it isn't some guy who you never met and know what they are capable off.

Boxing seems like war; like you're gonna have to fight, no getting away. Is that correct?

It's not the same thing. Most sparring sessions aren't done at 100% and there is still a sense of security that at any time you can back out and stop the fight or there is a coach watching with medical aid. It's also in a controlled envioerment with shin pads, gloves sometimes headpiece. And you know who you are sparring agains, you know their capabilities it isn't some guy who you never met and know what they are capable off.
    So what's your better training alternative?

Wear headgear, I just saw this girl sparring with the top fighters of a Muay Thai gym, she was fine doing really good, and it seemed they were using more slips and bobbing and stuff off the jab

I think a smaller man can triumph over a larger man, and multiple oponents if he understands the vast science of fighting

I know I knocked out much bigger oponents than me with "Little Mac" when I played Mike Tysons Punch Out, on the nintendo.
    When fear is removed, the arrogance
    of uncertainty is dispelled.
    Therere, it is no longer necessary to
    prove yourself in any form of combat.
    By learning how to fight, you learn how not to fight.

Originally posted by Water Dragon

So what's your better training alternative?
    Tony Bauers Spear system. And use bjj against larger opponents taking them down. don't fight man to man standing with them.

Originally posted by Sevenstar
    hitting the throat [or the boys] is not as easy as most people like to think.
    I'm talking about pre emptive strike.
    FWIW, the only time I've ever been hit in the boys For Real (tm) all it did was made me get mad and clock the guy harder. I'm sure if the guy had trumped me in skill, he'd have been able to take advantage of the ensuing anger and haste - but then again, if he'd trumped me in skill, there wouldn't be the original problem for him to begin with. Hurt pretty bad afterwards though. I'm not sure that the throat would be any different.

So I'm not sure these are very useful alternatives. Better to work on superior balance, posture, and position while attacking the opponent's balance, posture, and position. These will give the small man what he needs better than anything else; and the big man too. While boxing is a limited context venue, it still has enough room to work on some aspects of this - an example of which I gave above.

Now, I'm sure if someone could reliably get off clean, powerful, skillfull blows to the throat and genitals - that would be nothing to scoff at. But how do you go about reliably pulling off clean, powerful, skillfull blows? By having superior position, posture, and balance. So, again, this seems like what our answer should be here.