Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing

But in boxing, there is an overarching priority to not get hit. Every part of training has that as the emphasis. Move when your not punching, move while you are punching. It's referred to as parrying and is the most important element passed from trainer onto boxer. Punching takes a far second to evading. Remember Ali-Foreman, where Foreman threw hundreds of punches and Ali just kept evading. And then Ali took him apart with half a dozen shots. That's where boxing is unique, and I believe the part that Bruce Lee took from it.
    Cheung Hung Gar Kung Fu
    Philadelphia
    www.cheungkungfu.com

Quote Originally Posted by wetwonder View Post
    But in boxing, there is an overarching priority to not get hit. Every part of training has that as the emphasis. Move when your not punching, move while you are punching. It's referred to as parrying and is the most important element passed from trainer onto boxer. Punching takes a far second to evading. Remember Ali-Foreman, where Foreman threw hundreds of punches and Ali just kept evading. And then Ali took him apart with half a dozen shots. That's where boxing is unique, and I believe the part that Bruce Lee took from it.
    not at all. it's not about NOT getting hit at all. It's about getting as many strikes in on the legal targets as you can.

It's not about avoiding being hit, it's about how many times you can hit and and make it count.

conditioning is key. you gotta be able to eat it because you will eat it.

ali used to use a thing called rope-a-dope, whereby he'd relax on the ropes while you pounded away at him and got tired. Then he'd drop you.

too much mobility makes you tired. move if you have to, when you have to. don't waste your energy. yeah you want to duck and set up, but sometimes you're in like flynn and you gotta give and take.

Being able to "take it" is key to success in any martial art. any martial art that doesn't spend any time on you "taking it" is a waste of time in my opinion from a martial standpoint because it is setting you up for failure not to mention a very short sharp shock soon. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Boxing does live up to the turisim of :
    maximum efficincy and minimal effort.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Boxing does live up to the turisim of :
    maximum efficincy and minimal effort.
    I thought, that is what Wing Chun is suppose to be?
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    not at all. it's not about NOT getting hit at all. It's about getting as many strikes in on the legal targets as you can.

It's not about avoiding being hit, it's about how many times you can hit and and make it count.

conditioning is key. you gotta be able to eat it because you will eat it.

ali used to use a thing called rope-a-dope, whereby he'd relax on the ropes while you pounded away at him and got tired. Then he'd drop you.

too much mobility makes you tired. move if you have to, when you have to. don't waste your energy. yeah you want to duck and set up, but sometimes you're in like flynn and you gotta give and take.

Being able to "take it" is key to success in any martial art. any martial art that doesn't spend any time on you "taking it" is a waste of time in my opinion from a martial standpoint because it is setting you up for failure not to mention a very short sharp shock soon. lol
    Interesting, but your wrong. Bear in mind, DJ, that most of the time you are exactly right. But not this time. I know quite a bit about boxing, and can assure you that you are wrong.
    Cheung Hung Gar Kung Fu
    Philadelphia
    www.cheungkungfu.com

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    I thought, that is what Wing Chun is suppose to be?

Indeed, indeed my friend.

whgere oh where did you get this wonderful boxing wisdom
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Having been coached in two continents, Europe and Canada, I cna say that, while NOT gettiung hit is always a good thing, every caoch I had alway said that you are GONNA get hit.
    learn how to take it and make him pay for it, learn how to hit where he can get to you, learn how to move so that when he hits it doesn't hurt( as much), but all within the context of HITTING HIM more times ( Europe) or harder ( N.America).

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post

That being said, I'd like to get an idea of what some of the kung fu world thinks about boxing.
    the REAL Chinese martial arts people seemed to have embraced boxing (just one example)

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    whgere oh where did you get this wonderful boxing wisdom
    From learning. I'm not a boxer and didn't invent this. It's just what it is. There are countless sources on the principle. For example (quoted in many books on boxing):

"The number one rule of boxing is "Don't get hit!" It is only after a boxer has successfully mastered the "Don't get hit!" part that he can really worry about landing blows of his own."

- Tom Sulles, 2 time welter weight champion, coach of Notre Dame mens boxing for 30 years.
    Cheung Hung Gar Kung Fu
    Philadelphia
    www.cheungkungfu.com

From learning. I'm not a boxer and didn't invent this. It's just what it is. There are countless sources on the principle. For example (quoted in many books on boxing):

"The number one rule of boxing is "Don't get hit!" It is only after a boxer has successfully mastered the "Don't get hit!" part that he can really worry about landing blows of his own."

- Tom Sulles, 2 time welter weight champion, coach of Notre Dame mens boxing for 30 years.
    Well, not to argue with Tom, but one of the best ways not to get hit is to hit the other guy !
    The other guy can hit you if he is getting hit...
    If only I can remember which trainer of champions said that one?
    Anyways...
    Cus D'Amato was found of saying that boxing was all about angles and footwork, to hit from where the other guy can't hit you.
    Emmanuel Stewart would say stuff like, "work the jab and keep him on the defensive".
    Dundee would often coach his fighters to, ah well...you get the picture.

From learning.
    is that supposed to be English?

I'm not a boxer
    that's very obvious from your posts

There are countless sources on the principle. For example (quoted in many books on boxing):

I really suggest you go out and actually DO some boxing, then you'll understand it better and not make such strange (and inaccurate) statements....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    is that supposed to be English?

that's very obvious from your posts

I really suggest you go out and actually DO some boxing, then you'll understand it better and not make such strange (and inaccurate) statements....

You seem to go derrogatory and on the attack when someone disagrees with you. If I'm hurting your feelings when I express a different opinion, than I'll try and not respond to your posts.

Try and take a lead from S. Ronin. He remains composed when someone offers a viewpoint different from his own.
    Cheung Hung Gar Kung Fu
    Philadelphia
    www.cheungkungfu.com

wetwonder, as long as we are throwing quotes around. Sugar Ray Lenard, once of the best defensive boxers ever is quoted as saying "All boxers get hit, good boxer don't get hit as often".

You can't box and not get hit. Its like trying to swim without getting wet.

I agree. That quote is not contrary. I never said not to expect to be hit.

The strategy I'm explaining is - to purpose every movement on not getting hit. IMO boxing is the art of landing a punch while not getting hit.

Watch a fight and break down what the good boxer does. Watch Joe Frazier. He is constantly moving forward, side to side and back. Constantly dodging his head left and right, up and down. He bobs his head almost everytime he throws a punch. Except for the exceptional huge hitters, like Marciano and Foreman and Tyson, all the good boxers prevail by not having their head where the oponents punch lands. The better you are at this, the less you'll get hit, and usually, the better fighter you'll be.

I attend most of the club and small arena fights here in Philly. It's pretty easy to see how good a boxer is in the first minute of the fight. If he doesn't make it priority "1" to keep his head out of the airspace where the other fighter is throwing, he is 19 times out of 20 going to lose.

I think it's hard to argue with this, but feel free.
    Last edited by wetwonder; 04-01-2009 at 10:22 AM.
    Cheung Hung Gar Kung Fu
    Philadelphia
    www.cheungkungfu.com