Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing

Boxers do block jabs, usually with a slap parry or metal block. Only thing is, when performed with gloves on it pretty much looks like they are just punching each others gloves.
    -I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am.

-The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Let's just begin by saying this... I've sparred a lot of Boxers & a lot of MA's, and I have to say that I've never sparred an experienced boxer who can't fight, but I've sparred plenty of "experienced MA's who can't. Learning boxing is a good thing.
    BUT
    The boxing guard is about as unrealistic as the Tae Kwon Do sport guard in a real fight. It's great to block a nice big 16 oz glove, but a vertical fist fits nicely up in between the forearms (or fists) and tends to smash one squarely in the nose. Speaking from experience here, the receiving end. And they are very vulnerable to leg kicks (obviously) and throws. If you don't believe me put a Thai neck grapple on next time you clinch during sparring.
    Another fave is when a boxer is predictably ducking to raise your knee into his duck. it hurrrrts.
    I'm not putting crap on boxing. I'm a boxer myself, and I sincerely recommend adding it to your training reigime. But please don't come under the common mistake that boxing is all you need. It is a ring sport, and a good one, but it is not a street art. Try boxing someone with a knife. Plus the biggest s**tter with boxing is:
    The bigger guy almost always wins.
    Are you always gonna be the bigger guy?
    Please don't hit me with statistics of "X beat Y at the hollywood bowl & he's 25 kilos lighter" because that is ring fighting. Big Difference.
    Get into the boxing, then once you're proficient, get into the Muay Thai.
    In combat you sink to the level of your training. You do not rise to the occasion

My own view, boxing is the best striking form out there. Not saying that a boxer is better than any MA, because alot of boxers a limited by there style. Everyone that submits to one way, and does not reconise that alot of the technique you are taught is not ment for an actual fight, but ment to build atrributes that will be used in a fight is being limited. The sad thing is, it is not the form limiting them, it is there selves.
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'

wow...lotsa replies!

Thanks for all the replies! I'll pick up boxing if i can find a good place. Mainly what I am interested in boxing is the punching. Boxing punches have better form than a lot of MA because of the way they line up the wrist, arm, and body. If I do take boxing, I will not just be a boxer. Boxing, as I see it, has the best of some aspects of MA,. However, it is severely lacking in others. Lets face it, most boxers don't train to fight somebody who's going to kick low, shoot in, throw, lock, etc. I think it could be extremely effective when paired with another MA that trains for and uses some of boxing's weaknesses. Also, I'd really like to have a way to test and practice what I learn in other MA against a boxer, as some of you have said.

Kungfu cowboy: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE TIP ON THE SCHOOL do you know much about it? I will go and check it out as soon as I can. Where do you people come up with these places??? I look everywhere, yellow pages, ask people, drive down the road and slam on the breaks every time i see a place...thanks so much
    -lowsweep
    "That is because you are stupid"
    -Zorro

" So what you wanna know? "
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

ttt

Boxing good or bad for you??

I am interested in studying western boxing, and I have found a place to take it. However, I have talked to several docters, and almost all say it is going to give me brain damage. I think there is a misconception between training boxing and holyfield and tyson hammering each other to a pulp. I am wondering if the training for boxing includes taking lots of head shots, how long do you train before you start to get hit a lot, and how dangerous is amateur boxing? Amatuer boxing has headgear and it's for points, you don't have to kill the other guy, but still, it looks like most amateur boxers are trying to knock you out with every shot from what I have seen. Also, how effective is the headgear worn by amateur boxers? If I do take boxing, I will probably not be competing as my parents are very much against it (not against full contact sparring, though, go figure). If I just train and do little or no competing, am I still going to get a whole lot of brain damage?
    thanks,
    adam
    "That is because you are stupid"
    -Zorro

If you wear appropriate headgear and follow safety precautions, you should be okay.
    K. Mark Hoover

boxing

I had the same type of questions before I started to train in full contact for awhile. I asked a teacher I had, a clinical neuropsychologist about it. He said that getting hit at all, even lightly over a long period of time can cause damage. Of course, I wasn't getting whacked in the head with a bat, so I wasn't too worried about it. I think that getting hit in the head every once in a while won't cause too much damage, at least I hope not, haha.
    "I'm here to wipe the floor with your ass, and you know it, and everybody here knows it, and you deserve it."-Duncan, "Some Kind of Wonderful"

"I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems wierd and scary to me. It'll happen to you!!!" -Grandpa Simpson

"Once while walking through the mall a guy came up to me and
    said 'Hey, hows it going?'. So I grabbed his arm and twisted
    it up behind his head and said 'Now whose asking the questions?'" - Jack Handey

"There's no doubt in my mind that we should allow the world worst leaders to hold America hostage, to threaten our peace, to threaten our friends and allies with the world's worst weapons."George Bush—South Bend, Ind., Sept. 5, 2002

uhh, i dont c wut da big deal is guys. i been boxing fer a long time and i ain't no worse for it! Just kidding! Practice smart and don't take too much, quit if it gets bad. It's great fun and I learned alot from it.

Boxing does not necessarily lead to brain damage, especially if you are not trying to become a pro but rather just develop technique.

I also recommend NOT borrowing gloves. You could get infections on your hands (I have).

Boxing is great fun! Enjoy!

I BAX AL THE TAME AN ME BRAN IS STIL GUD

its good for ya
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Boxing

This is really a joke more than anything, but I really would like to know the answer to this.

In boxing, are backfists legal? How about spinning backfists?

Are knife and ridge hands legal (it is hard to form a knife or ridge hand with the gloves but the motion can be applied)? Basically, is any formation of the hand allowed other than the punch?

Are stances legal (like front, back middle etc)?

Is jump attacking allowed (like leaping forward and doing a downward punch as you land on the opponent's head)?

Here's the big question. Are blocks, parries and evasive attacks of that such allowed in boxing?

If so, I wonder what people think if a boxer did all this stuff.
    Tae kwon do is not just a martial art, it is a way of life.

backfists are not legal. any motion of the arm resembeling a back fist is not legal, though im not sure what the penelties are.

i assume you can use any stance you wish, but i don't know of any more practical than the boxers front fighting stance for boxing.

i don't think you are allowed to jump at your opponent.

blocks and evasive movements are absolutely legal. havent you ever heard the phrase bob and weave?
    where's my beer?