Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing

Just to add to the answer:

You are allowed to jump at somebody if you feel inclined as well as stay in stances. You can block and parry, but you can't trap or impede the your opponents arms by holding, etc.

Mr Nunchaku

Don't go into a deep stance against a Boxer,you will be eaten alive.

From my experience backfists,reverse punches & ridgehands are not that effective esp. with gloves on.
    For self-defense I find a hammerfist is better than a backfist,The cross is better than the reverse punch & A palm slap is better & safer than a ridgehand.

In Boxing you want to keep it simple,fast,accurate & powerful.Hands up & chin down.

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

Jumping

What Ford Perfect said....Frazier comes to mind as someone who used the leaping hook to good effect.

You can clinch, but that's only for defensive and resting purposes, to break the rhythm of the opponent. Good boxers can tie up the arms of their opponents and buy time.

As for punches, backfists are illegal, but i think knife hand type techniques could be gotten away with (with gloves on) since they could appear to be poorly structured hooks.

but i think knife hand type techniques could be gotten away with (with gloves on) since they could appear to be poorly structured hooks.
    why not just throw a proper hook? that's what I would do.

fmann; Hocks that don't connect with the knuckles are illegal and you will get warned and eventually disscualified during a fight.

i prefer the backfist to hammerfist.

i personally find it easier to settle and twist into the strike with my fist verticle .. . just a matter of opinion though.
    where's my beer?

Re: Jumping

Originally posted by Shooter
    What Ford Perfect said....Frazier comes to mind as someone who used the leaping hook to good effect.
    Joe Frazier kicked butt. Ever see the punch Ali took off him? Where he got up after 3 secs?

Ali is my hero.
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

It is my understanding that backfist are illegal due to the lack of padding on the top of the glove.

Can anyone confirm this?

Originally posted by Nichiren
    fmann; Hocks that don't connect with the knuckles are illegal and you will get warned and eventually disscualified during a fight.
    but i'm saying in the heat of a fight, they may not be noticed.

Badger

Maybe you can explain to me the difference between a right cross and a reverse punch in a left lead stance. We use the term interchangeably.

reverse punch snaps out straight like a jab . .. cross cuts through the target at an angle. i guess a cross would kinda be like the inbetween of a jab and a hook.
    where's my beer?

the reverse punch is more comparable to the straight right than it is to the cross.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

So a straight right is not a cross?
    I thought a cross was just a powerful straight right, kind of ****ed by the left jab?

Can someone explain then - cross
    straight right/reverse punch
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

i thought i did.

the jab is going to hit the guy in the nose and send the energy through the back of his head.

the cross is going to hit the guy in the cheak and send energy through his face to the other side of his cheak.

that's the most concise way i can think of to explain the difference right now.
    where's my beer?