Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing

CROSS

Turn the hips and shouders on the inside (preferablY) and strike across the chin/jaw at a 45 degree angle thus snapping the head away from the forward body structure (ie : exposed jugular , lead weight bearing stance) procucing a compression/twisting effect of the major ciculation and nervous systems.

The Jab? Straight punch thrown with zip from the hip. Primarily used as a distance keeper and a means to control what kind of dance it's going to be.
    Establish the jab and keeping said opponent at your preferred range will come easy (see Douglas vs. Tyson). Ali jabbed people to death and weathered may storms with nothing but a good stiff jab. All those little flicks (Jabs) that you saw? Joe Frazier will tell you that it looks like a little flick, but that they were hard and draining shots to take round after round.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

ALI WAS THE BEST THERE EVER WAS.

Nah, not like that, more movement specific. For example, I'm mobile while on the outside, but soon as I close I'm stuck. I like being inside, as I have solid punches, knees and elbows, but moving back out and angling are difficult, particulary if I try to do so rapidly. I'll use a simple one-two combo. I jab, then when I plant my foot for the cross or straight right/left, I am stuck there, like I'm putting too much weight on my foot.

So I guess, what I'm looking for are some drills to keep me light on my feet.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Nichiren

Take a ordinary tennis boll, bounch it with you r left jab and try to catch it with your right cross.when you throw the cross it should be relaxed and when you catch the boll you normally tense up. It is the same movement and physics while throwing a cross(not a jab).
    Very interesting. When I was first taught how to punch, I was told to pretend I'm grabbing something. Even though it sounds like we are doing the exact same thing, I was told not to tense at all. It was explained to me that the impact will cause the body to tense naturally, with no conscious thought on your part. Strange how we really are all more similar than different, no?

Here's another one, I have a stiff, fast jab for a CMA'er. However, it's still relatively slow compared to a boxer. When I throw it, I think of the line of force as going from my back foot to my fist. I usually don't focus on throwing the jab out, but keep the intent on pulling back. I can get two off OK, but I really want to be able to triple up on my jab, any thoughts? Thanks
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Hey waterdragon, try this, practice throwing it 3(or more) times tons of times, but make sure the form is the correct thing, and "THrough stregnth will come gentleness, and through gentleness will come strenght" only way to do something better is to practice
    "True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu (SF Alpha3)

"U don't wait -- if u feel it's going 2 go violent ... strike ... strike often ... strike till he drops ... can always apologize later if u were wrong."-Ginger Fist

Funny thing about boxing gloves....they actually increase trauma to the head, and the possibility of brain damage.

I would say, as with most things, do it in moderation. The training itself is not going to give you brain damage - it's continually sparring at full contact. That will happen with any art if you are constantly going at it full contact. Spar at about 30-40% and only go all out once a month or so.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Freitas beat Casamayor

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Tito and Vitor were watching too.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

ttt for an answer

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

multiple jabs

water dragon,

To increase the ease of your jab, try not to hit so hard!! Your jab is a different blow to the straight left, and should be thrown a little bit like trying to swat a fly.

Use as little tension as possible throughout the stroke, and initially don't put too much shoulder into it. It slows the retraction of the arm, and hence slows the entire combination. Instead, try just flicking it out, similar to the tongue of snake.(wow, I just continue to impress with these analogies!!)

The main thing is to always remember the purpose of your punching...you are not going to knock too many people out with the left jab. Instead, it obstructs vision, waters the eyes (of mainly inexperienced boxers) and makes the opponent move where you want them to.

Practice slowly at first, concentrating on using as few muscles as possible to move the arm, and gradually increase the speed. You probably wont ever throw four or five quick jabs in succession, as you waste energy and a good opponent will have you seeing stars with a good right cross.

Cheers.

ttt for footwork drills

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Boxing

I have two quick questions, if anyone could help me I'd really really appreciate it!

The first is I was wondering for those of you who have done Western Boxing, I'd like to go and train in a boxing gym near me but I was wondering how they feel about people who don't want to spar with others, I don't want to be the best boxer in the world or anything, just improve on my punching speed and power - do I have to spar? If not do people look down on it or anything?

The second question I was wondering is how you guys deal with people when sparring who come in fast and basically throw many fast punches - do you actually try and block all of these or deal with them differently?

Thanks so much for any help!

Regards,

NPMantis

1) There are plenty of people at boxing gyms who don't spar.

2) Footwork. If you have good footwork, a "straigh blast" type of attack should be easily avoided.

Why don't u want to spar??? You don't have to spar the GOLDEN GLOVE wannabe...but u should address this issue to your COACH and he will assist u. In terms of sparring, u don't have to spar the anyone but the COACH...he'll give u openings so u can SCORE...it's not like he's going to destroy u.
    A

NPM, don't you think some sparring would be advantageous? It should show the application of what you learn outside the ring.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Most of the work you well start off with is pad and bag work,so no sparring if you don't want to. I wouldn't be surpised if after you feel good about your pad and bag that you will want to spar.

Boxers use footwork in combination with upper body movement.One of the best things about getting in the ring is learning to use the confined area effectively.

As for dealing with fast punches! perhaps you haven't been on the receiving end of a combination set.There are a lot of boxers who can throw fast hard and actually hit there target.
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy