Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing

Sparring

Thanks a lot for your replies everyone, really helped a lot!

I don't really want to spar as basically I don't want to get repeatedly hit in the head. I know people may say it isn't 'realistic' but I wouldn't like to get hit in the head repeatedly unless I had to - not to sound like a wuss or anything!

Thanks again!

NPMantis

Uhh?? In 4 years of savate, I've never seen a boxing club where they didn't spar (uh, I said savate, but we'd train exclusively english boxing sometimes, so I feel as if I can fit in the "western boxing category" hehehehe)...actually, boxing, IS sparring, the rest is just a warm up or basic training...
    As for the flurry of punches, most of the time it's useless, except if you just want to exert yourself or be open to a counter...remember you have thick gloves, and sodoes the guy next to you. What could work in a self defense situation won''t in a ring: with these heavy gloves, you just tuck your chin in your shoulder, squeeze your elbows, contract your stomach, bow your head, raise your hand to cover your head and you just stay there and receive the rain of punches without much troubles (remember, the guy hitting you has the big gloves too, so he can't really pass through the guard). Actually this tactic is only used to put pressure on someone, and then slowing the rythm down to make the guy believe it's over and react, and THEN, only then when he tries a counter attack you try to pin him. Basically you just put the pressure on him and then make him believe you're slowing down so that he thinks it becomes safe and tries to retaliate. But the flurry itself, if the guy has a correct guard stance, is quite unharmful to him. With bare hands, it would be quite different (then, the flurry has much more chances to land a blow, so the WC theory is, IMO, worthy), but not with boxing gloves on.
    My savate instructor loved to make us box without gloves somtimes, just so thaat we can realize that things that work with them can become useless without them.
    Also, when you are tucked like that receiving all these punches (it really doesn't hurt that much if you stay a little vigilant and weave and bob andd adjust here and there to receive), you have ample time to see think, cool down, and prepare a retaliation, usually one single forceful blow to an area you just saw uncovered (it happens quite often when you're trying to drown someone under punches, thaat you yourself uncover some areas without noticing), so that whether you land it or not the guy has a defense reaction and you can resume the normal pace of the match, or side step, or step back, or take the lead back and put the pressure.
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

NP,

I was on my college's boxing team (practice 5 days/week for 2-3 hours) and was the captain at one point. Don't worry about getting hurt. There were days when I got hit so hard that I'd have a headache after, but I'm fine. I only forget things like my mother's name and where I live. No big deal. J/K. Don't sweat the sparring though.

CP,

I took Savate in France and we did PLENTY of sparring. Everyone was encouraged to do so but not forced. It a good way to see how you methods work against something the the meancing air and that big bully of a punching bag.
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

Boxing

Thanks for all your thoughts, I am going to start boxing the week after next when I give up work - I will have about 6-8 weeks off so I'm going to try it then.

I am thinking about sparring, I think I'll see when I get there how I feel about it, I guess you wear head-protection.

Cheers again everyone!

Smile NPMantis

A good boxing coach will pair you off with someone not only your weight class, but age and ability as well. In my observation there are many more competant boxing coaches around than other martial arts teachers. Don't worry about getting hit as much as being winded. You'll get used to having your bell rung rather quickly. Having wind and keeping your arms up will take longer.
    Enjoy!
    P.S. Work your opponents body. Don't think about KO shots unless they give you a gift. Keep your guard up!
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

7. Thumbs up

And if you are not that much into rough boxing you may take up cardio/fitness (whatever my spelling brings...) boxing (they may spar a bit but the aim is slightly different)
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Its your money. if you don't wanna spar most trainers could care less. As long as u pay them they'll hold the mitts for you. However, this may also mean that they won't take u as seriously as they would their fighters and potential fighters. I see my muay thai trainer do this all the time. Although he works with all the people who train under him, he really devotes the vast majority of his attention and effort to those of us who fight. So its your choice, but IMO you're really gonna limit your progress if u do not spar. Its not dangerous at all! As long as you work up to it and stair step your training there's nothing hard about it. Drill your technique diligently and when your trainer decides to start you sparring, start it out light and easy and then work your way up to going harder and harder as it gets more comfortable for you. You'll be fine. Besides, you'll be wearing puffy gloves, a mouthpiece and a head protector...how can you really get hurt?

As for dealing with someone who throws flurries, you can counter by using angles. Use footwork to get out of the way, but don't just run away repeatedly because you'll never be able to set up counters this way and he'll eventually start cutting off the ring and cornering you. Cover when u have to. That's the basic idea. You'll need a trainer to really show u the finer points.

Starting Boxing.

Hi All,

I've found a club near me, (10 min walk) they 'meet' Mon, Wed, Fri eve and Sun morning (I have kung fu on both Mon and Wed, doh!) so I'm going to ring them up and try out a class, if I can get down there twice a week I'll be happy.

On another note I don't think anyone spars straight away but after they have gotton a little better and some people never spar if they don't feel they are ready, it looks like a good club, just hope I enjoy it!

Will let you all know how it goes! (I am going to start in just over a week - I finish my temporary job this Friday and I'm going to take 6-8 weeks off to apply for permanent jobs and train, hooray!)

Take care,

NPMantis

Evolution of Boxing

I found this article linked from shenwu.com. It should make for a good discussion. Enjoy

http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_jacomb_0801.htm#EN1
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Smile

That was pretty cool. I never would have seen that connection.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

"the habit of consecutive action,"

strike!

boxing rules

anyone have a link, or know which strikes aren't allowed in boxing? i'm assuming things like hammerfists and backfists aren't allowed?

how about the rules for how legs are governed? sure there arent any kicks but how aggressive can your footwork be without you getting yelled at?

a local gym has an amateur boxing night where i can just strap on some gloves and go at it, and i'm looking to test my wing chun against some boxers (just for the heck of it). i'd like to know what exactly i can and can't do
    Travis

structure in motion

All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

ugh i read through those regulations at the bottom, and while they mentioned illegal blows they didnt say what blows are illegal
    Travis

structure in motion