Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing

There's only 4 punches in boxing( jab cross uppercut and hooks )...
    If u want to test your wing chun with boxers then go to a boxing gym and spar with boxers but let them know that u plan to kickbox with them. U try that at this amateur event u'll get disqualified and u'll get JUMPED.
    A

i guess i might have to go down those lines. dont wanna get jumped now

seriously, you can only do jap cross uppercut and hook in boxing???
    Travis

structure in motion

You can use the windmill technique if you want
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

"Only jab, uppercut, cross and hook"?

Think about the combos available. There's no "only" about it!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

well yeah..

combos are great and all. that just seems weird to me, really restrictive-like.

anyways, i guess im gonna go with my original plan and go there and talk to whoevers there. see what i can arrange to get my ass kicked (er punched).
    Travis

structure in motion

jab cross hook might not connect with your wing chun thinking maybe better to think to hit with the front knuckles part of the glove, good luck and let us know how it goes

My favorite move in boxing is the Dempsey Roll..
    A move were you use shoulder feints and move your head in a figure 8 motion and as you are moving left to right, you slam crosses with the momentum from the figure 8.

If you look at the amateaurgloves you often see that the front of the gloves have a white field, over the knuckles. You can throw any type of punch you want but you must hit with this white area.

/Cheers

I was going to go to a boxing gym to fight, but I found out there is vale tudo here in town. The guys at the vale tudo school are down to fight anyone, so methinks Ill go fight them instead.

I have a wing chun background...and a boxing background...I found that knowing LESS techniques will allow you to focus more on your game. Just cause u know 20 techs. doesn't mean u can apply all 20. Boxers need to know 4 punches and various combinations...and they apply it in sparring all the time. If u're entering a boxing tournament u follow boxing rules...u want kung fu...then enter a SAN SHOU tourney.
    A

i would if i could find a frickin san shou tourney in the area i have been looking. hell i posted awhile ago asking if anyone knew about any san shou in the albany area and only got deafening silence

i wasn't talking about technique when i thought 4 punches was restrictive. i just like to be able to get my fist to the target the fastest way from wherever my fist happens to be.
    Travis

structure in motion

If u're going to just unleash a punch out there wherever your hand is going to be then u might be PITTY PATTING...means lack of KO power. Since u're goal seems to be self defense...get together with a boxer...and workout in terms of sparring...see if u're punches can snap his headback...if it doesn't...u're not doing much.
    A

complete boxing rules wbc and wba

There are 2 accepted sets of rules for modern boxing.

Those are the rules of the WBC (world boxing commision) and the WBA (world boxing association). The rules as applied by each of these organizations are almost identical with few exceptions.

Here is a link where you can download each set of rules in pdf form.

http://www.vipers.co.uk/boxing_rules.htm

Of course, you can get them elsewhere on the web. But for the sake of point them out...

anyway, here is one observation. You are NOT restricted to uppercuts, jabs, crosses and hooks. You may strike with the gloved hand in anyway you like. Back hands, hammerfists, raking blows, you name it, you can use it so long as it involves the gloved part of the hand.

Boxers gravitate to the big four by reason of efficiency and time to target. But using a backfist is by no means illegal or a foul. There are accidental blows such as thumb jabs which are considered "dirty" and if noticed by the ref, you will be cornered for it but not disqualified.

Anyway, take your time to read these rules if you're really interested.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

So if a boxer pulled off a spinning backfist he wouldn't be penalised for it?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

if your willing to travel

Lkfdmc hosts sanshou & sanda in nyc. He posts on here and the kickboxing section of mma.tv check out the thread "San Da in NY" overe there, here's an exerpt from Lkfdmc on a san da tournie in nov.:

"this will be amateur tournament so shin guards and head gear (with cup and mouth piece) will be required, A+ super fights probably no head gear though.... "

I don't know how you train but I'd recommend watching 1 of these events first, makes you think long and hard about entering when you see people carried away in stretchers.
    Last edited by brassmonkey; 05-27-2003 at 08:36 PM.