Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it true southern praying mantis produces better fighters then the northern praying mantis style??

Ego_Extrodinaire Guest

Poor You

BFD

You're just clueless about 8 step mantis and northern systems in general.

On the point of grappling, just like the punch or what ever appendage of the body it uses, the movement is based on underlying principals common to all. Either you've got a rotten sifu who isn't teaching the right stuff or you haven't had time to understand the concepts properly.

You don't need to learn 108 ways to grapple or 128 kicking techniques + 64 deadly throws or what ever. The response should be purely stimulus driven - you just do because it is the efficient thing to do. If you try remembering techniques you'll never be a competent martial artist.

On the point of stances: There are a finite set of stances which set the parameters of movement. Of course in a real fight you don't see fixed stances because you're constantly moving and adjusting and so is you opponent (you would think). Don't get confused with boxing.

Length of training: Much quicker to learn northern kung fu than it is to learn southern kung fu.

About Wing Chun: In my opinion it is a crap style. But you're right on one point. You can see the good-ole fixed stance. Wing Cun practitioners are so stiff and funny in their movements. The funniest thing of all is that some practitioners actually take themselves seriously. I feel sorry for them.

Maximus Materialize!

Arod1972 Guest

lego of the EGO!

Ego
    You really go low to call a system you dont even know about "crap". Just that statment makes you ignorant. I never said 8 step was a bad style, I said I dont prefer it for MYSELF.
    And at least I should have the right to comment my points of view about a style i was taking for 2 years, thank you. Let me say it again, 8 step is a GOOD style, but for myself I prefer Wing Chun, it makes more sense to me...
    Did you understand that?

oh and James Sun is a taller than me...
    :rolleyes:

I do not wish to fight

Sam Guest

Famous

Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Tong Long Pai Has a lineage of famous proven fighters.
    Li Siem See
    Lam Sang See
    Wong Yu Kung
    These men were incredible and feared as well as revered. This is not to say southern is better that northern.

Ego_Extrodinaire Guest

Opinions

BFD:

You're right. Wing Chun does have its good points. The school which I used to visit put on spectecular lion dancing during Chinese New Year. Their 2 man drills are also very clean and well rehersed.

Whereas, if you learn Northern Kung Fu, you'll probably get none of the above. What you learn is how to fight - but maybe that's not what you're going for.

You probably prefer the fancy uniforms and occasional trips to the local Chinese restaurant with the senior students and sifu.

Maximus Materialize!

joedoe Guest
    Ego,

Northern styles do lion dance too :)

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Arod1972 Guest

yes..opinions

Ok whatever.....i am not going to insult you back, just tell you the facts as they are bub..
    Unlike the wing chun your used to SEEING, fancy uniforms and stuff like that, we only have basic tee shirts and sweats with a logo and just until now wear a sash. I dont even know why we ware a sash though. Must be because we just went public or something. In 8 step we had to ware unforms and sash. it was more like a belt race there, always trying to get through the forms so i could get to how to use them in applictions.

One with 2 roots becomes a stronger tree..

I do not wish to fight

[This message was edited by BFD on 04-15-01 at 10:14 AM.

[This message was edited by BFD on 04-15-01 at 10:17 AM.

[This message was edited by BFD on 04-15-01 at 10:17 AM.]

handsome Guest
    Ego--BFD is telling the truth, Wing Chun makes sense compare to many styles of kungfu, of course you need to let go of your BIG EGO before you can see the truth behind the great art of WING CHUN,
    just my 2 cents, no need to get mad and please look up the yellow pages to call your local Wing Chun schools and try for a month , then tell me about it...

Ego_Extrodinaire Guest

Southern Influence

BFD / ABandit

Oh those schools you mentioned had too much southern influence. Back in the days when Tsing Mo association was started, the number of forms proliferated in many nothern systems and become Southernized in HK.

Maximus Materialize!

Netfist Guest
    hi,

I'm new and wish to say " hi " to everyone. i've been studying TCM for many years, IMO, i do think southern fists might be a little more practical comparing to many northern kung fu. Ooop......Ooop...... i dont wish to fight.

Netfist

joedoe Guest
    Hi Netfist. Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here and don't get challenged too much :D

-------------------------------------
    You have no chance to survive - make your time.

Netfist Guest
    abandit,

thanks, i do try to stay here for a while before someone jumping up to kick my butt.....Oooop...it's bud lite...hi...time.

Netfist

;)