Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagle Claw

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    nah, you're gonna have to show us. I'm curious to see how you'd do compared to him
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA6sLOQpO4w

Good structure and mechanics allows one to control someone and land uninhibited shots. Poor structure and mechanics provides the other opportunity to control, off balance, throw or land on you well.

Comparing for real with non students provides honest feedback so one can improve and fine tune.

Blog Entries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA6sLOQpO4w

Good structure and mechanics allows one to control someone and land uninhibited shots. Poor structure and mechanics provides the other opportunity to control, off balance, throw or land on you well.

Comparing for real with non students provides honest feedback so one can improve and fine tun
    So i take it you are saying you're not qualified to comment on anyone's form if you can't do a form yourself. thats all good, its how you roll.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

So i take it you are saying you're not qualified to comment on anyone's form if you can't do a form yourself. thats all good, its how you roll.
    My form withstands pressure. It's built to last.

.... if you want me to film an air form, I'll see if my gal will be down to film when we get back from our evening surf.

Eskrimadors

Has anyone seen the new documentary that came out last year about the FMA (filipino martial arts)? It's called "Eskrimadors". I saw the documentary. As aesthetically beautiful as it was in respect to the cinematography, many FMA masters told me that the information in it is a little sketchy.

Blog Entries
    .... if you want me to film an air form, I'll see if my gal will be down to film when we get back from our evening surf.
    I think we should get a chance to see how you perform what you call an "AIR FORM"....that would be a nice thing. or better yet, can u do HIS form equally as well or better than him? just curious, whats your experience with eagle claw?
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 10-12-2011 at 01:35 PM.

can u do HIS form equally as well or better than him? just curious, whats your experience with eagle claw?

I have no experience with eagle claw. Also, there's no way I can do that form as well as him, not without training it specifically for a month or so. But I have no desire to do that.

I also can not do a back flip or many other floor routines. I can also no longer do a full split.... none of these things have anything to do with managing violence under pressure.

I train tonight with my student and will post some good drills and a proper, healthy way to look at form.

Blog Entries
    I have no experience with eagle claw. Also, there's no way I can do that form as well as him, not without training it specifically for a month or so. But I have no desire to do that.

I also can not do a back flip or many other floor routines. I can also no longer do a full split.... none of these things have anything to do with managing violence under pressure.

I train tonight with my student and will post some good drills and a proper, healthy way to look at form.
    So, from what i'm hearing from you is that you're just limited to fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Well I haven't rewatched the vid, but what ray is saying is totally correct. I know ur just giving him a hard time tho. I mean if you do punch from a solid stance you can still put more than just arm power there with waist rotation, and still driving with the feet, but if you are punching with forward footwork you're best off landing with as much body weight and momentum as you can behind the strike.
    Actually no, I'm going to disagree there. The whole movement should finish together, but if you throw before the foot lands then you minimise waist movement. You want forward momentum for the punch, so if you put your foot down and then turn the waist as you set your weight you're maintaining that forward momentum and engaging your waist fully (indeed you could argue that you preserve more forward momentum as it's hard not to lose momentum downwards if you punch with your foot off the floor).
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

I honestly think one gets better footwork and mechanic training (form) working the heavy bag. Striking something of substance.... 1.....2.... circle.... 1....2...3.... circle. ect. etc.

If you're footwork or movement is bad the bag will creep up on you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M--TcguetVw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFSn7WrRNv0

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    Actually no, I'm going to disagree there. The whole movement should finish together, but if you throw before the foot lands then you minimise waist movement. You want forward momentum for the punch, so if you put your foot down and then turn the waist as you set your weight you're maintaining that forward momentum and engaging your waist fully (indeed you could argue that you preserve more forward momentum as it's hard not to lose momentum downwards if you punch with your foot off the floor).
    well i dont disagree with what you're saying here. what i mean by solid stance is well after you have hit your stance in such that the momentum has already been absorbed...by that i mean being disconnected. what you described is ideal, to say the least, but not always what is going to happen. its always going to be best to get momentum/weight, and rotation through the feet and waist to add to your strike. again i didnt watch that vid, and what i felt ray was responding to was a disconnection of landing what ever footwork, and THEN punching after, but not as one connected movement.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    its always going to be best to get momentum/weight, and rotation through the feet and waist to add to your strike.
    I can agree with this. My sifu has always taught me that power come from the floor. the power generation in being rooted vs disconnected is a huge difference in my opinion. In our CLF we don't have to get on the balls of the feet to get good rotation....our snake stepping handles that for us.

There are a few views on the matter of the ideal landing of a strike.
    If one lands the strike before the front foot "lands", then more of the energy and mass is transfered to the target, think of the vectors that are in play, moving with the body and seeking a "contact point", the moment the foot lands, energy and momentum go in that direction so that when the fist lands, not all the energy is going there since some has already gone to the lead foot.
    Of course there are issues of lack of solidity for the rebound effect and because of that, most system advocate the lead foot and striking limb to land as close as possible together which will deliver as much energy to the target as possible AND be stable enough to handle the recoil.
    As for the hips and/or waist rotation, that really isn't that much of an issue since rotation happens before the launch of the striking and not at the begnning of the striking movement ( in order of progression( though it should be done at the same time as possible: leg drives - hip and waist rotate- torque drives torso- arm shoots our..etc,etc...)
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    one easy way to test which delivers more power is through striking pads.

one easy way to test which delivers more power is through striking pads.
    In the two studies I was involved in years ago the measured force of strikes ( impact force, peak and median) we experimented with this very thing, just to confirm certain views and we found that the crucial element in ANY strike in terms of force is penetration ( though one must be very cautious of it not turning into a push).
    Some boxers, if you see them, will actually deliver pretty powerful strikes with their lead leg planted and the only momentum being leaning forward.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    In the two studies I was involved in years ago the measured force of strikes ( impact force, peak and median) we experimented with this very thing, just to confirm certain views and we found that the crucial element in ANY strike in terms of force is penetration ( though one must be very cautious of it not turning into a push).
    Some boxers, if you see them, will actually deliver pretty powerful strikes with their lead leg planted and the only momentum being leaning forward.
    this is true. turning it into a push can also throw you off balance. I've found that if your front foot isn't going to be planted, all the power focus can be placed on the pack foot, but you have to have forward momentum to achieve this. And the penetration thing is true, my younger students get a kick out of it when i mention PENETRATION.....LOL