Thread: Purchase Option

Purchase Option

Good Afternoon:

Not certain if this post is in the correct forum but here goes:

The current Kung Fu school where I train is going to open a new location. I am interested in and have chatted lightly with the owner about investing. Our school is Kung Fu based but does also have an MMA team and Cardio Kickboxing workouts.

My question is to the owners of any and all Martial Arts Academy's. What are the profit margin's, etc...with owning and running a Martial Art School

Thanks in advance for your time and response

I would never recommend investing in a school without knowing how the current location is being run. If your instructor is unwilling to show you the books from their current location, there is probably a reason.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ststater View Post
    Good Afternoon:

The current Kung Fu school where I train is going to open a new location. I am interested in and have chatted lightly with the owner about investing. Our school is Kung Fu based but does also have an MMA team and Cardio Kickboxing workouts.

My question is to the owners of any and all Martial Arts Academy's. What are the profit margin's, etc...with owning and running a Martial Art School

You're better off investing in processed food, bottled water, oil and gas etc.

profit margins for most martial arts schools are razor thin.

there are few exceptions.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ststater View Post
    Good Afternoon:

it sounds like you are in the neighborhood of possibly making the mistake of investing in something based on personal versus pure financial interest; but if you are dead set on doing this, my advice would be to give the owner's # to your financial advisor / attorney / accountant, let them talk, and then proceed according to your person's professional assessment of the relative merits of the situation, vis-a-vis profit margins and all that stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    You're better off investing in processed food, bottled water, oil and gas etc.

profit margins for most martial arts schools are razor thin.

there are few exceptions.
    I agree. Many of us who do it for a living do it for the the love of what we do, not the money. If you're really interested in a profitable martial arts school join mile high karate, ata or something of that nature.

also, you have to include affiliation to suppliers of martial arts goods so you can turn those over to your students and so on and so forth. run lots of after school kids classes, do a lot of demos, do a load of leg work in the community and nowadays, you should probably produce a ranked fighter or two to maintain cred with the mainstream market.

it's true that most people that run martial arts schools don't do it for the money, they do it to continue their own knowledge and to keep their sport or art or both alive because they love it.

not saying you can't make a business model that turns a profit, just saying there are much more lucrative businesses to do that in.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Sound advice.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Investing

To All:

Thanks so much for candor advice - I will put it to good use.

I'd pass on the school even if the numbers were good. As a minority investor in a privately owned, single shareholder operation, you have no rights and no control.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    I'd pass on the school even if the numbers were good. As a minority investor in a privately owned, single shareholder operation, you have no rights and no control.
    Read Mas Judt's post like a million times. The teacher has all the knowledge, as an investor, you're at his whim. Will he adequately support the new location? Can he, without reducing the quality of the first location? Is it worth complicating your training time with such things, when other investments are wiser, more profitable, and leave you free to train without worrying about your investment?

invest all you can.

for real you'll have invested if you did.
    where's my beer?