Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Evans/Rampage TUF 10

Evans/Rampage TUF 10

Rampage gave up a shot for the belt to fight Evans. I have a feeling that the winner of this fight will be getting a title shot too. If Evans wins, and Machida still has the belt, I have no desire to see it. Unofficially Machida only got punched 4 times in their fight. But, we'll see. This is the article.

Rampage’ and Evans coach ‘TUF 10’
    By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
    3 hours, 21 minutes ago

When Rashad Evans climbed into the cage at UFC 96 in March following Quinton “Rampage” Jackson’s victory over Keith Jardine and began jawing nose-to-nose with Jackson, many saw it as a stunt devised by the public relations and marketing wizards at the Ultimate Fighting Championship to drum up interest in a future pay-per-view fight.

But on Thursday, during a conference call to announce the coaches for the 10th season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Jackson proved conclusively that angry confrontation with Evans was no stunt.

Jackson declined a shot at the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s light heavyweight title, currently held by Lyoto Machida, in order to coach against Evans on Season 10 and have the opportunity to fight him in December.

The show, which will premiere Sept. 16 on Spike TV, will be known as “The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights.” From the way he sounded on Thursday, Jackson would have been willing to teach grandmothers how to knit if it would have gotten him a chance to fight Evans.

Jackson will be appearing on the show for the second time. He coached opposite Forrest Griffin last year on Season 7 and conceded he didn’t like the job. UFC president Dana White offered Jackson either the title shot against Machida or the opportunity to coach on Season 10 and meet Evans.

Jackson didn’t hesitate.

“Everybody knows I didn’t like coaching because I’m a sore loser when it comes to stuff like that,” Jackson said. “I was kind of upset about it and at first, I said I’d never coach again. But I have a good relationship with my first team and this time, I want to go out there and win.

“When I found out who I would be coaching against, I couldn’t turn it down. You know, Rashad left a bad taste in my mouth. He got up in my face (following the UFC 96 fight) with his bad-ass breath. I’m from Memphis. We don’t like that (stuff).”

Vengeance will be his primary motivation, but it won’t be the only one. Jackson also displayed a practical side and, while noting that he wants to become “the best champion who ever lived,” said coaching will give him a long time off between fights and will allow him time to learn the game.

The Ultimate Fighter 10 finale will be Dec. 5. Jackson will fight Evans later in December.

That would give Jackson more than nine months between fights.

“To be honest, I’ve been wanting to sharpen up on some of my skills,” Jackson said. “I’ve wanted to get my wrestling back up to par, and my ground game. This gives me time to continue to heal up. I fought really hard for two fights.

“I trained really hard for the Wanderlei (Silva) fight (at UFC 92 in December) and then I went right into training for Jardine. This will give me time to be with my kids and sharpen up my skills. I’m doing this (because) this is my job, my life. I want to put my best foot forward and I want to be the best champion who ever lived.”

Season 10 will mark Evans’ second appearance on the show, but his first as a coach. Evans, who lost his championship when he was knocked out by Machida on Saturday in the main event of UFC 98, won the heavyweight title on Season 2.

The show will help make the men even bigger stars than they’ve already become. White said there is a direct corrolation between a fighter’s appearance on TUF and his popularity, in terms of selling tickets, pay-per-views and merchandise.

“There’s no doubt about it,” White said of the show’s ability to increase a fighter’s marketability. “Let me put it to you this way. In 2006, Rashad Evans was a security guard in Detroit, Michigan. If that doesn’t give you enough ⦠He headlined a pay-per-view last Saturday that did very well.”

White declined to say how many fighters would take part, saying he’d make that and many other announcements at media day next week in Las Vegas.

He said Machida didn’t want to coach, because he wants to stay busy. Machida had said on his website that he would defend his belt at UFC 103 in September, but White said Thursday that is not true.

White said he is working on an opponent for Machida, but declined to identify him. He said he could make an announcement as soon as Thursday afternoon, but said the possibility exists that the process could drag on. He wouldn’t put a time frame on it, either.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

I know there is a lot of ppl on here who no longer like TUF, but I'm still a fan and find it interesting. It's kinda like watching triple A baseball, watching the up and comings, picking out who is going to make it to the majors.

Rampage has a strong chance of winning against Evans. Evans has been an underdog his whole career in the UFC, and he has a legitimate shot of beating Rampage, but I think in the end Rampage will destroy him.

I wonder if the winner of Wanderlei between Franklin.

TUF: Black on Black Crime
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

lol.

I forgot to finish my sentence, I wonder if the winner between Franklin and Silva will be take on Machida.

Machida's next opponent is Shogun.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    Machida's next opponent is Shogun.
    Shogun has done nothing to deserve this fight. I hope Machida destroys him so the washed up bag can finally retire and let the better crop of fighters play for awhile.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    Shogun has done nothing to deserve this fight. I hope Machida destroys him so the washed up bag can finally retire and let the better crop of fighters play for awhile.
    Why do you hate Shogun so much.

Dude goes through two surgeries and sidelines for a year, loses one fight, and you call him washed up?

Show some respect to one of the most exciting fighters in the world.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Why do you hate Shogun so much.

Dude goes through two surgeries and sidelines for a year, loses one fight, and you call him washed up?

Show some respect to one of the most exciting fighters in the world.
    I don't hate him. I don't think he has the skill and ability he once did. He can turn it around (see Frank Mir), but until I see the heart that was seen in his PRIDE fights, he should be relegated to fighting old people (see Coleman and Iceman)
    ------
    Jason

Fair enough, that's a reasonable attitude.

Shogun is among my top 5 favorite so gotta support him through thick and thin.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Fair enough, that's a reasonable attitude.

Shogun is among my top 5 favorite so gotta support him through thick and thin.
    That's how I feel about Couture. Can't wait for his Nogiera fight...
    ------
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    That's how I feel about Couture. Can't wait for his Nogiera fight...
    Man Nogueira is my man, you're on!!!
    - Yagyū Munenori

Shogun ko'ed Lidell, Lidell will be dangerous even at 70 years old when he gets there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Apprentice View Post
    Shogun ko'ed Lidell, Lidell will be dangerous even at 70 years old when he gets there.
    Dangerous compared to the average man. Not dangerous compared to other professional fighters.
    ------
    Jason

Kimbo Slice - Dana did it

This article is proof that Dana White is willing to use sensationalism over fighting to gain fans. There is nothing good that can come of this. Leave Kimbo in the abyss of EliteXC's fall, please. TUF already was becoming a bunch of morons degrading the sport, but this takes the cake. I give 8 months before we see Kimbo v. Lesnar...

Y! Sports exclusive: Kimbo gets TUF
    By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
    7 hours, 16 minutes ago

LAS VEGAS – Kimbo Slice, the controversial heavyweight who in 2008 headlined the most-viewed mixed martial arts card in history, will be one of 16 contestants on the forthcoming season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s reality TV series.

Dana White, the UFC’s outspoken president, has repeatedly mocked Slice for his lack of fighting ability. Slice, whose real name is Kevin Ferguson, became a cult figure by competing in street fights that were posted on YouTube. Slice’s “bouts” drew tens of millions of views and led him to turn professional.

He fought for the now defunct Elite XC, garnering massive media attention but getting mocked by White and others affiliated with the UFC for a lack of ability.

White has called him a “joke,” a “bum” and “not a real fighter,” among other less than kind descriptions. He said that Slice would “get murdered if he fought in the UFC” and suggested that his lightweight champion, 155-pound B.J. Penn, would “annihilate” the 230-pound Slice.

The UFC president has repeatedly insisted he would not allow Slice to compete in the UFC unless he won his way onto the show by competing on “The Ultimate Fighter,” which beings taping Wednesday and is scheduled to air in September.

Slice has called White’s bluff and will appear on Season 10 of the highly rated Spike TV series, White has confirmed. Fighters live in the same house and train together, and then fight during the show in a bid to earn a UFC contract.

His appearance, along with that of former UFC light heavyweight champions Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Rashad Evans as coaches, should guarantee massive ratings.

“It should be interesting, given some of the things I’ve said about him,” White said.

Slice, who has a 3-1 professional record, appeared in the main event of the first MMA card shown on network television in the U.S. when he fought James Thompson on May 31, 2008, on CBS.

Slice won by third-round stoppage in a bout that attracted a record 6.5 million viewers and remains the most-viewed MMA bout in history.

But Slice hasn’t fought since Oct. 4, when he was knocked out by a jab from late replacement Seth Petruzelli, a light heavyweight, just 14 seconds into another fight broadcast on CBS. The plug was pulled on Elite XC, which reportedly lost millions of dollars, in the aftermath of the fight.

White promised “some major surprises” as he announced on a Thursday conference call that Jackson and Evans, each of whom is a former light heavyweight champion, would serve as coaches on Season 10.

He declined to say anything further but urged reporters on the call not to miss media day, which is Tuesday at the UFC Training Center in Las Vegas.

White worked hard to keep Slice’s appearance on the show a secret, hoping to have unveiled him Tuesday. Season 10, which is being called “The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights,” was originally slated to feature a cast of eight heavyweights and eight middleweights, but the UFC quietly informed the middleweights who tried out that it was going with an all-heavyweight show.

And unlike in recent seasons, where the competitors had to win a fight to earn their way into the house, there will be no such arrangement this time. All 16 fighters – Spike and the UFC are keeping names of the others a closely guarded secret – will automatically move into the house.

Though White goes to great lengths to insist that nothing on the show is scripted, it’s virtually guaranteed that Slice won’t fight early in the competition. Having him around and alive in the competition is going to keep ratings elevated.

If Slice is able to advance to the live Dec. 5 finale, with a chance to earn a UFC contract with a win, ratings would likely be the largest in Spike history.
    ------
    Jason

Dana White is a liar of the worst kind. He constantly put down Kimbo, calling him a joke and what not then turns around and puts him on The Ultimate Fighter. Publicity stunt is all this is and it does two things: 1. Makes the UFC and The Ultimate Fighter seem like an episode of Jon and Kate pluse eight and 2. Proves once and for all what a piece of sh*t White really is.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato