Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the Latest Thinking on Shin Conditioning?

What's the Latest Thinking on Shin Conditioning?

What's the latest thinking on taking hits and in particular shin conditioning? I've experienced the school of thought of developing it while sparring, and another method, mostly TMA, that goes with special training that focus's on a body part.

I've had decent results in the past with the sparring method for what I need to do but I'm just looking to see what else is out there.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Unless you're fighting in competitions the average person probably doesn't need iron body training for everyday survival. But, what daily conditioning does provide toa a hobbiest is the unity between mind and body; pushing yourself beyond the limitations that you've set on yourself; again strengthening the mind as much as the body.

If you're considering competitions you need to condition the whole body not just the shins. A major area over looked in body conditioning for competitions is the back of the thighs. A good Thai kick will cut at an angle on the shorts line of the thigh and the foot will whip around and punish the hamstring.

To properly condition the body continue doing what you're doing, getting some conditioning in when sparring but also supplement that with traditional iron body training.

heavybag

that's all you need to really condition your shins

start with a soft heavybag first, for about a month, to get used to penetrating through the bag - you want it to fold in half and wrap around your shin, this does not always equate to the loudest noise.

gradually move on to harder and more firm heavybags, still going for penetration & the bag folding around your kick.

An easy goal to shoot for is at least 100 kicks a day (or at least workout days) per leg. You should have decent shins in about 6 months, especially if you're supplementing with sparring & thai pads. By the time you hit 100,000 kicks, fighting bare shin shouldn't be that big a deal.

Keep in mind that it hurts less if you swing through your target instead of just kissing off the surface. Tapping shins often hurts worse than blasting through.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I like the heavybag idea and also Thai pads...no shin guards. Then sparring with shin guards and drilling with them. You can also do optional no-shin guard drilling or real light sparring depending on where you're at.

Or you can do what I always did: hard sparring with minimal gear. My shins are solid but the process is awful...
    A unique snowflake

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    i've been borrowing my roomates shae/cocoa butter lotion...my knees and shins are in terrible shape from work...dry, cracked...but, oh...sorry...wrong type of conditioning... have a nice day!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

LOL, that was good Oso.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

i'm serious!!!! my knees are starting to look like a back alley *****'s....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

That reminds me, I still owe you $5.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

no, mother****er, you owe me $10...remember? Don't make me send Antoine after your cracka ass....

Or you can do what I always did: hard sparring with minimal gear. My shins are solid but the process is awful...
    That's how we did it in my karate days, spar with no pads, take some hits and bang some bones. While I enjoyed that in the past these days the bangs and bruises take too darn long to heal.

DM

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    no, mother****er, you owe me $10...remember? Don't make me send Antoine after your cracka ass....
    Do not, I gave you what was left of my burrito and we called it even.

How you been Oso?
    Last edited by rogue; 05-18-2009 at 08:22 PM.

DM

lol...

i'm good, you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    Don't make me send Antoine after your cracka ass....
    I almost spit my tea out, lol!

If you are just thinking of toughening up the shins period, I don't really think you are going to be able to do that. A kick to the shin or a boot or shoe soul scrapped down the shin is going to hurt no matter what. The skin is so thin that a good scrape will remove some hide. I have to be skeptcal of kicking someone with the shin bone. I was watching a TV show called Extreme Video's, and it showed a MMA fight where the very first blow thrown was a Thai kick to the upper thigh. The guy broke his leg clean in half at the shin. And last year I was watching a fight between some chick from Brazil and one from Japan. The Japanese girl broke her leg doing the same thing. There has to be something wrong with that picture. A kick that can injure you as well as the kickee is not a very good method of kicking to me. It is like smashing your nose into a wall repeatedly in an effort to make it tough enough to hurt some one with it. Logic sort of flys away at some point.

roll a weight lifting bar up and down you shins fot ten minutes ad weight as your shins become stronger
    then move on to kicking wooden poll burried in ground