Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: signature moves

signature moves

Hi All,
    I was talking with a friend and we got onto Signature move's that get added to forms/sets.
    i am wondering who add's Signature moves to there forms.
    and also if so .are they not changing the forms that they were taught in the first place!
    would the forms over time then themselfs be then changed and that they are then not the true forms at all that they are ment to be and as such not be classed as traditional Mantis forms?
    hope you guy's have things to say on this?

regards roy

Are you on about a signature salute at the start or end of a form?

Some Sifus put markers in the form to identify the lineage if you know what to look for. Is that what you mean?
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

maybe?
    OK if say someone is taught a form/set.
    then a few years later the set is re-taught but moves have been altered or changed by the person who taught the 1st time around.
    WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT??

i understand the start or finish could change as that is not really the form/set
    so that could be classed as ok but what about other moves in the form?

1. A few teacher like to tell the different generation of students as the sifu progresses to different time periods of their teaching time.

2. Some teachers modify the set according to tailor it to the student's built and physical ability.

2. Other teachers just forget because of their age and memory.

Hi roy:
    Form is make up by groups of shou fat.
    shou fat is make up by one signature movement together with several movement that is prior this signature movement.
    For example the closing door kick,you know there are several differnt series of movement prior the kick,just like my BSLQ.
    Different form may have different kind of closing door kick,this will give you more example of what you will encounter in combat.
    If you want to alter some movement,that depend what movement you will altered,otherewise very hard to say that is ok or not.
    If the movement is not inside the group of shou fat with continuous strike,may be you can alter.
    For weapon form,what is a good weapon form? A good weapon form should contained all the techniques of that particlar weapon. You can not perfomed other types of weapons as what a spring and autumn dai dao does.
    If you want to alter a form it should be in a improved way,to add more techniques
    to the form to make it perfect. Otherwise this is not wise to alter a traditional form.
    Best regards,
    alex

Stop me if you heard this before...

Five senior students enter a room and decide to work on a particular form. After they finished, there was some debate. 2 thought that a particular movement was supposed to be a fist, 2 were positive that it was a palm, and 1 didn't care if it was a fist or palm but he knew that it definitely had to be aimed higher.

That is awesome B!! Hehehe

I see those discussions all the time in class. Verticle palm?? No, sideways palm!

sometimes I let students debate for a while before walking out to the floor. It is amusing sometimes. "well this is the way shifu taught me!" like if I pulled them into the secret room and showed them the true way. Usually the movement is somewhere in the middle of the debate, which they all instantly remember after I show them.

continued...

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Five senior students enter a room and decide to work on a particular form. After they finished, there was some debate. 2 thought that a particular movement was supposed to be a fist, 2 were positive that it was a palm, and 1 didn't care if it was a fist or palm but he knew that it definitely had to be aimed higher.
    Guess what?- we're all students. Mutations are inevitable.

so that's my theory on where all the "signature moves" come from.

Short and Sweet

In my opinion, forms are the least effective training method.

If you need to add or delete something, create a new set or drill.

If you are worried about forms being "stolen" sue youtube.

Nowadays, I beleive forms are best for cultural and historical preservation.

That's all,
    M.Dasargo

I'll just say "Ditto" to that last one.
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

I`m really not in the mood for this after our loss today. But I really question this "forms are the least effective training method". Our forms are the encyclopedia of all techniques within or fighting system. We use every technique/maneuver out of our forms for fighting, our forms are indeed effective. Sorry no fancy words like most post here, not a writer.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

I'm with you yu shan. I understand what he's saying though. Seems to me most peeps go to extremes either giving them too much value or writing them off completely.

Understand their usefulness and act accordingly. They have value but don't get lost in them to where you forget the rest (you know how that goes).
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Hello all,

To be clear, forms are the least effective training method.

The techniques and principles embeded are absolutely effective in fighting.

However, they are more effectively trained with a partner in drill format and sparring.

I value forms for what they are; a capsule of highly effective principles and techniques.

I beleive they are a database to preserve what you know, not to learn something new.

M.Dasargo