Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: signature moves

True. I think what forms bring to the table is the value of repetition, repetition, repetition. This also includes the physical building of stamina/endurance. They also allow one to work on the technical aspects or movements without needing a partner to train with. To me, forms start to loose their luster when their purpose is simply to look good or flashy.

Remember

No matter how cool you think it is to perform a certain form- most girls will think you're a **** if you try to show it to them.

Personally I think forms are a portion of the formula:

There are forms- teach rudimentary movements, concepts, body co-ordination, attributes etc...

Then the forms concepts have to be trained with an partner to get the body mechanics and interaction with another skilled practitioner.

Then they have to be tested in the ring or full contact with a partner or opponent that is training relistically. (not saying to perform a form in the ring, but the mechanics and concepts have to be exprienced)

As for mutations I think they exist based on experience levels and interactions that the practitioner has had. (of course as stated before memory is 1 variable for this)

But also whats wrong with changing up some of the movements? Just as long as it doesnt violate the principle and concepts that are being trained in the form...

I've seen countless variations, but I feel they exist for a reason.

Just my take on this.
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

Quote Originally Posted by Codeboy View Post
    To me, forms start to loose their luster when their purpose is simply to look good or flashy.
    I say the flashier the better- I like the forms where you can fly- like siu fu yin, Ji kun, double dagger... heck- it's probably why tong long chit don is my fav. pure mantis form- no flying kicks, but a lot of movement... even goon le guan, lok hop darn dao... it's all about lots-o-movement.

For me the forms aspect is to enjoy the movement... move fast and fly.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I say the flashier the better- I like the forms where you can fly- like siu fu yin, Ji kun, double dagger... heck- it's probably why tong long chit don is my fav. pure mantis form- no flying kicks, but a lot of movement... even goon le guan, lok hop darn dao... it's all about lots-o-movement.

For me the forms aspect is to enjoy the movement... move fast and fly.
    I would agree with that in all cases being present inless "eating at a Chinese buffet or a pizza" before practice. Then I'm struggling just to do a push kick.
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    No matter how cool you think it is to perform a certain form- most girls will think you're a **** if you try to show it to them.
    word.

when ever a chick asks me to show her kungfu, i NEVER consider doing a form. I just tell em to punch or kick me. Then just let em beat on you for a bit. They like it.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    word.

when ever a chick asks me to show her kungfu, i NEVER consider doing a form. I just tell em to punch or kick me. Then just let em beat on you for a bit. They like it.
    What about grappling?? You could tell them to use a body takedown & then there favorite submission technique. Hey its all fare on the ground ; )
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影