Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Increasing your power

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    I mean exactly what I post.
    Hendrik, he was asking you to explain, to elaborate, etc. on what you wrote since he did not understand what you wrote. He is asking you to clarify. When you wrote:

"Do you know that WCK doesnt have kick as how kick generally define?"

You were unclear. How do you think a kick is "generally defined" [sic]. And how do you think that is different from a WCK kick?

Here's two "general definitions": to strike out with the foot or feet, and to strike with the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Hendrik, he was asking you to explain, to elaborate, etc. on what you wrote since he did not understand what you wrote. He is asking you to clarify. When you wrote:

"Do you know that WCK doesnt have kick as how kick generally define?"

You were unclear. How do you think a kick is "generally defined" [sic]. And how do you think that is different from a WCK kick?

Here's two "general definitions": to strike out with the foot or feet, and to strike with the foot.
    ok

Great !

Do you know that WCK doesnt have kick as how kick generally define?
    I used to think that too, but my sifu taught me Wing Chun kicking.
    The way we attack the knees and shins and ankles, if thats not kicking whats
    the proper word

Quote Originally Posted by -木叶- View Post
    I used to think that too, but my sifu taught me Wing Chun kicking.
    The way we attack the knees and shins and ankles, if thats not kicking whats
    the proper word

Wing Chun " kick "is a part of the movement flow not a " sole Kick " for kicking as in other art such as Kick boxing.

after 1970, hongkong WCK evolve in adding more and more Karate, MT type of kicks... as one can see side kick was added in some HK WCK form....

my 2 cents.

Hendrik on no wc kicks

FWIW I think that Hendrik is quite incorrect on this point...as far as Ip man's wing chun is involved .
    It could be that he is limited by his knowledge of Yik Kam's wing chun.

For training and development there are kicks in Ip Man wing chun. They are not karate or kick boxing kicks and they include the notion of body unity and flow in application. In applying good chun one should not use kicks where footwork and hands can do their work. A missed or ineffective kick can leave a wc person badly exposed.

In his time Ip Man was a superb kicker and he taught kicks to many of those who studied with him personally.Possibly on the red boats they didn't use the kicks as much for obvious reasons. With aging Ip man used kicks less but he taught them. When younger he was quite a kicker. If you see Ip Ching's little book on an incident in HK with his father- Ip man effectively rear kicked a pickpocket who was trying to lift an expensive pen from his side pocket while IM was bending over at an establishment
    to pick up a newspaper.He also used kicks when needed in his mainland interactions.
    Hendrik's time marker 1970 is off- by then Ip man had retired from active public teaching.Basic kicking is there in Ip man's chum kiu and mok jong work and was there before 1970.

Wang, Yi Chuan and dachenquan involves dimensions that are apparently absent in many arts
    but they dont have a monopoly on what is "internal". Good wing chun- not the average wing chun qill have good fusion of internal and external and cut through some of the expressions of
    specially "northern" internal styles. In the 19th century there wasa lot of misplaced snobbery
    in northern kung fu which created the misleading internal/external classification of Sun and others... labeling Nam Kuen as external...though some but not all of it is.

History is a tricky business specially with wing chun- too many twists and turns and variations-taiji has better historical markers but some of the Chen man Ching folks do not regard Chen style as being taichi!!!

As far as some other points-not from Hendrik---using MMA as the main barometer of what fighting is- misses much. Real fighting would be basically illegal at least in the US today.

My do paisa w apologies for bad key strokes

joy chaudhuri

Hi Joy,

A minor point, but the Red Boat Wing Chun I was taught has a separate curriculum for kicking techniques containing 8 or 9 different methods; deng - nailing kick, jeet - side/stop kick, chang - push kick forwards, chai - pinning leg etc etc.

In addition, my SNT contains a kicking section.

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Joy,

You have a good point.

Any striking motion with the foot is a kick, so every system has kicks.
    Be them stomps or even "steps", if its a strike with the foot, any part of the foot, its kick.

great resposnes Suki...impressive.

Joy I really enjoyed your response can you please elobarate on the following statement:

As far as some other points-not from Hendrik---using MMA as the main barometer of what fighting is- misses much. Real fighting would be basically illegal at least in the US today.
    What is real fighting?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Any striking motion with the foot is a kick, so every system has kicks.
    Be them stomps or even "steps", if its a strike with the foot, any part of the foot, its kick.

the TKD round horse kick is not Kyokushin round horse kick even they are both round horse kick. do you agree?

The Hung Gar front Kick is different then the Northen Tan Tui front kick.

as the northern chinese martial art says, " hands are doors rely on kick to strike."
    Same front kick but this kick is not that kick.

while in general, the Southern major weapon is hand.

Same with WCK, WCK is not MT is not Karate...

Explain the difference between a WCK front Kick and a Front kick from Kyokushin?

How are vectors,energy displacement, angle, projectory, alignment, structure and Chi displacement different????

the TKD round horse kick is not Kyokushin round horse kick even they are both round horse kick. do you agree?

as the northern chinese martial art says, " hands are doors rely on kick to strike."

Chi displacement makes baby jesus cry

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    What is real fighting?
    Oh, for ****s sake, not this crap again! Just go and have one will you?!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Thanks for making my point

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Oh, for ****s sake, not this crap again! Just go and have one will you?!

Okay I agree Mr Punch what city are you in?