Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: June 4th, 1989

in keeping with comments made in other threads, I'd like to remind you all that Deng Xiaoping is deceased and we shouldn't speak ill of the dead!

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    in keeping with comments made in other threads, I'd like to remind you all that Deng Xiaoping is deceased and we shouldn't speak ill of the dead!
    perhaps the dead are simply happy we speak of them at all?

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    actually, KC is sort of correct.

There were student/people demo in all major cities.

Local army, I think 45th and 38th army were in support of Zhao, so their guns and tanks were placed strategically thruout beijing and facing outward. or away from the crowd.

They were graduately "rotated" out of the city.

The Si Chuan troops in support of Deng graduately replaced these positions.

--

meaning what

it could have been a civil war, one side in support of Zhao, and the other side in support of Deng.

--

some key posts and generals in support of Zhao were quickly replaced. some generals were quickly promoted to key positions.

--

all the public officials in support of students had a black file. their promotions were all derailed or not to be placed either inside or outside of CPC.

--

on the surface, you see the events on tian an men square.

beneath the surface, the political fates of many were effected by it.

--

this would be the same with KMT.

--

It was not my intent to suggest that the traditions didn't have some pragmatic reasons behind them, in case I wasn't clear. It is not necessarily mindless traditional rationales, but very real and problematic causes that lead to these kinds of situations.

Hong Kong’s June 4 museum closes

Tiananmen Square crackdown
    Hong Kong’s June 4 museum closes – but organisers vow to reopen
    Group running the site decided to leave their premises after a legal battle that they believed was politically motivated
    PUBLISHED : Monday, 11 July, 2016, 11:40pm
    UPDATED : Tuesday, 12 July, 2016, 10:33am

Jeffie Lam jeffie.lam@scmp.com http://twitter.com/jeffielam
    12 Jun 2016
    Visitors on Monday flocked to the world’s only museum dedicated to the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown on its last day as organisers vowed to reopen it within a year.
    The Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China has decided to close down the June 4 memorial located in Foo Hoo Centre – a Tsim Sha Tsui tower block – after the building’s owners’ corporation staged a legal battle and adopted measures hindering its operation that the alliance believed were “politically motivated”.

“Although the closure of this museum at this particular venue is permanent, I can assure you a new museum will soon be reopened, hopefully within one year,” Albert Ho Chun-yan, chairman of the alliance, said.
    Set up in 2014, the June 4 Museum was soon locked in a protracted legal battle with the owners’ corporation, which argued the floors could not be used for exhibition purposes, in line with the building’s deeds.
    The alliance said it was odd for the corporation’s chairman, Stanly Chau Kwok-chiu, to pour his own – and “unlimited” – financial resources into the litigation, and a member of the corporation once admitted political considerations were behind their objections.
    The corporation asked visitors to register their identity card or travel document on entering the building, a move which drove away many mainland *visitors.
    “All these made this museum rather difficult to sustain and so after detailed deliberation, I thought it was time to put an end to the litigation,” Ho said. He added he believed the corporation would continue the legal battle even if the alliance won the case in the Court of First Instance.
    The alliance has decided to sell the property and use the money to buy a more spacious place on a lower floor which would not rely on the use of elevators and would have fewer fire safety risks – issues raised by the owners’ corporation.
    Despite its short-lived existence, Ho said their perseverance sent a very strong message to Beijing and the world that they would “never give up” on the cause.
    The museum has received 24,124 visitors since 2014 though turnout dropped by 66 per cent last year. It is launching a crowdfunding drive to raise an extra HK$3 million for the relocation.
    Among those who flooded to the museum on Monday was Chong Yong-yee from Malaysia. She said the place not only educated people but also encouraged visitors to think about Hong Kong’s future.
    A mainland visitor who refused to be named said the exhibition had provided him with a better understanding of the crackdown, which was not available back home.
    No standing in front of tanks this time.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart