Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP David Carradine

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post

I guess you have memory issues
    no, apparently YOU have memory issues because you seem to forget that Carradine TRASHED Chinese martial arts for DECADES until he couldn't get a job and then suddenly became a kung fu master, selling horrible tai chi video tapes

"hey, screw you, you're ugly, you're dumb, I hate you, but can you lend me some money?"

His videos, his second KF show, his books were all insulting to anyone who did real CMA and to anyone with a brain

He was an opportunist who jumped on a bandwagon but I guess he was right because idiots like you love him for it

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post

I dont do the fake kung fu anymore
    LMFAO
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

In fairness, David Carradine is not at fault for stealing a role from Bruce Lee. Hollywood had been using westerners to play different ethnic groups for decades before, and their view, which was probably accurate, was that their audience wasn't willing to fork out cash for genuine articles.

Now, we're enlightened. This occurred when Tom Cruise saved the Samurai.

Somewhere, there's a really talented Australian who doesn't want to play the bad guy in a Jackie Chan flick.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post

This occurred when Tom Cruise saved the Samurai.
    "the last samurai; how a short gay scientologist taught Japan the meaning of Budo! Coming to a theatre near you soon!"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

In fairness, David Carradine is not at fault for stealing a role from Bruce Lee. Hollywood had been using westerners to play different ethnic groups for decades before, and their view, which was probably accurate, was that their audience wasn't willing to fork out cash for genuine articles.

Now, we're enlightened. This occurred when Tom Cruise saved the Samurai.

Somewhere, there's a really talented Australian who doesn't want to play the bad guy in a Jackie Chan flick.
    I don't normally agree with Steven Segal, but Tom Cruise's casting was a bit much.

Despite David Carradine's faults, the Kung Fu tv show introduced to the American public a Chinese hero who was a pacifist, but not a coward, introduced the entire concept of the Shaolin Temple to millions of people who had never heard of it before, and spurred an interest in the martial arts that millions of people benefited from.

In early seventies, after Bruce Lee, David Carradine did a lot to inspire kids to find a teacher, join a class, and train.

His tv show, and his role in the movie, the Silent Flute, also helped keep traditional Chinese martial arts and philosophy in the public eye and helped keep memories of Bruce Lee alive.

Let that be a part of his legacy. As for everything else, it's all over with now.

FoxNews is also saying he was found hanging.

"A Thailand newspaper, The Nation, reported the 72-year-old actor was found hanging."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525069,00.html
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I agree except with the part about his role in The Silent Flute. Again taking credit for not only the role, but in Bruce Lee's own story and idea. There is a special place in h3ll for people like him. He will be joined by others of his ilk, such as Roger Moore.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

David Carradine RIP

Actor David Carradine found deadStory Highlights

David Carradine's personal manager says actor's body found in a Bangkok hotel

Carradine became famous in the 1970s after starring in the TV series "Kung Fu"

Carradine, 72, was also known as "Bill" in Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill" films

updated 6 minutes agoNext Article in Entertainment »

Read VIDEO
    From Jack Hannah
    CNN

(CNN) -- American actor David Carradine has been found dead in a Bangkok, Thailand, hotel, according to his personal manager, Chuck Binder.

David Carradine became famous in the 1970s after starring in the television series "Kung Fu."

Binder said Thursday that the death is being investigated but could provide no other details.

Carradine's death was "shocking and sad. He was full of life, always wanting to work ... a great person," Binder said, according to People magazine.

Carradine, who became famous in the 1970s when he starred as traveling Shaolin monk Kwai Chang Caine in the television series "Kung Fu," was 72.

Modern audiences may best know him as "Bill" in Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill" films. He earned a 2005 Golden Globe nomination for his role in the second movie in the two-part saga. iReport: Share memories of David Carradine

His career included more than 100 feature films, two dozen television movies and theater work, according to the Internet Movie Database.

Don't Miss
    People: David Carradine found dead in hotel room
    Carradine, who was married five times and divorced four, is survived by his widow, Annie Bierman, according to People magazine. Watch Carradine talk about his 'Kung Fu' role »

He was the son of actor John Carradine, a character actor who had appeared in hundreds of films, plays and television episodes.

"David's career as an artist did not begin on the stage, though some of his early career was on and off Broadway. His earliest work was as a sculptor and painter," Carradine's official Web site says.
    Jim

Not to take this off topic, but Bill Mummy kicked the crap out of a guy in a bar I used to go to in my home town, had cowboy boots on and really gave it to the guy. Not gonna go down as a high point in technical fighting history, but the guy he kicked the crap out of has forever been "the guy who got his ass kicked by the kid from lost in space."
    Ha! way back in the dark ages, Bill Mumy and Miguel Ferrer spotted lunch for me and a couple comic book artists. Nicest guy I ever met, totally unaffected by the industry. Many actors/actresses are tough to handle, they are so narcissistic, paranoid and well, stupid. But not Bill Mumy, smart guy, nice guy, well mannered and now... an a$$ kicker.

Right on.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

I hate to bring this up, but it is either a tragedy - he lost his will to live or, typical of Hollywood - it is auto-erot!c asphyxiation.

Wonder what the Vegas odds are?
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

wow, R.I.P.
    Forget about Yesterday, Live for Today and Pray for Tomorrow
    www.Weaponsathand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    Ha! way back in the dark ages, Bill Mumy and Miguel Ferrer spotted lunch for me and a couple comic book artists. Nicest guy I ever met, totally unaffected by the industry. Many actors/actresses are tough to handle, they are so narcissistic, paranoid and well, stupid. But not Bill Mumy, smart guy, nice guy, well mannered and now... an a$$ kicker.

Right on.
    Yeah, normally, when a star gets in a fraccas, people talk about their temper. But in this case, everyone knew the other guy was a jerk. And when you look like Bill Mummy and you kick the crap out of someone, you deserve props.

And in interviews, he's always been a class act.

Suicide, Foul Play or... Bondage?

Not to make light of a sad situation, but Thai police said they found Carradine with a rope around his neck and other parts of his body, with a preliminary investigation citing suicide by the actor. From the BBC:

"Thai police told the BBC the 72-year-old was found by a hotel maid sitting in a wardrobe with a cord around his neck and other parts of his body."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8083479.stm

Shocking and sad. While we all had our varying opinions of the man who played Kwai Chang Caine for so many years, he was undoubtedly an influential character in the development of Shaolin Kungfu in the western world.

May your soul find peace in the afterlife, David.

herb ox

RIP and condolences to his family!!!

To be honest though I couldn't stand the man.... even in Kill Bill I thought he was a D!ck.....just the thought of Sanjuro tossing him out the door puts a smile on my face After he came out with the Tai Chi tapes....well lets put it this way...even a Shaolin Taco knows crap when he sees it
    BQ

PS
    If he did hang himself, well that's the chicken sh!t way out.

1. about KF series.

I only saw a few episodes of the first season, then it was banned in Taiwan.

only recently, did I view the whole series from DVD I bought from barnes and nobles.

2. roles/characters and the actor that play them

usually, there are no connections. even though people tend to equate the both.

last samurai was an American army soldier and not TOM CRUISE.

Kuai Chain is a figurative figure and NOT David C.

The backdrops and Kung Fu series played by David C did have impacts as pointed out.

--

Sad.

RIP.

David Carradine found dead at age 72

This just in - David Carradine was found dead in his hotel room in Thailand. See this thread in the Wing Chun forum for emerging details:

http://martial.securesites.net/forum...ad.php?t=54143

herb ox