Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP David Carradine

Shame! The man had his faults but he was a talented actor and promoted KF in the US.

about five years ago I met David and his son (I believe) at a convention. He was aloof and didn't really seem like he wanted to be there. That's okay.....some of us are just like that.

scotched that snake

I met David Carradine several years ago at ABA, the year before Spirit of Shaolin was released (the web says that was '91, and I was at ABA in '90, so that seems about right). He signed a blad for me. I still have that somewhere.

Last summer, I did an phone interview with Carradine for David Carradine in Spike TV's KUNG FU KILLER. I called him at home and I could tell he was doing a lot of interviews that day. He sounded pretty relaxed and I could hear his dog barking in the background. At one point, we had to stop for him to quiet his dog down. We spoke for 45 minutes or so. After the interview, I went to lunch. When I got back, Carradine had left a message on my answering machine. He had become confused with his interview schedule and was calling to ask why I hadn't called. For some curious reason, I saved that message in my voicemail. It's still there. I'll listen to it later today and remember him.

I've had my personal issues with Carradine's work for years. Being Amerasian, Caine was like a minstrel show for me. However, I still will cite Kung Fu sometimes when I'm explaining Shaolin to people of my generation who know nothing about martial arts. There really wasn't any show ever quite like that original series - not just in the sense of timing (when Nixon helped open China) but also in the sense of how to move a story arc for television (the flashback motif). Love him or hate him, he is one of our pop icons and no matter how much you feel the need to speak ill of the dead, Carradine will be remembered by pop culture as one of the American pioneers in martial arts.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Carridines death

I watched "Kung Fu" as a kid and loved it. Became interested in everything Chinese because of it. Carridine introduced Kung Fu to the states, sure in a very watered down form but nonetheless i dont think we can argue the impact the show and he had.

RIP Grasshopper.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I met David Carradine several years ago at ABA, the year before Spirit of Shaolin was released (the web says that was '91, and I was at ABA in '90, so that seems about right). He signed a blad for me. I still have that somewhere.

Last summer, I did an phone interview with Carradine for David Carradine in Spike TV's KUNG FU KILLER. I called him at home and I could tell he was doing a lot of interviews that day. He sounded pretty relaxed and I could hear his dog barking in the background. At one point, we had to stop for him to quiet his dog down. We spoke for 45 minutes or so. After the interview, I went to lunch. When I got back, Carradine had left a message on my answering machine. He had become confused with his interview schedule and was calling to ask why I hadn't called. For some curious reason, I saved that message in my voicemail. It's still there. I'll listen to it later today and remember him.

I've had my personal issues with Carradine's work for years. Being Amerasian, Caine was like a minstrel show for me. However, I still will cite Kung Fu sometimes when I'm explaining Shaolin to people of my generation who know nothing about martial arts. There really wasn't any show ever quite like that original series - not just in the sense of timing (when Nixon helped open China) but also in the sense of how to move a story arc for television (the flashback motif). Love him or hate him, he is one of our pop icons and no matter how much you feel the need to speak ill of the dead, Carradine will be remembered by pop culture as one of the American pioneers in martial arts.
    --------------------------

Well said.

Don't worry Gene, I speak ill of the living as well
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

i met DC something like 6 years ago......he had this crazy story as to how the kung fu series came about it was almost laughable...but he was a great actor, and had alot of interesting things to say....had dinner with him later that night and we had a long discourse about films movies and martial arts...when his kill bill diary came out he sent me an autographed copy of it...so Rest In Peace david, you were an ******* but you were a great *******....

Greetings,

Carradine, despite all of his problems did not seem like a suicide type of guy. I hope more info is provided about this. It just does not feel right.

mickey

PS: If it comes out that somebody topped him really good, I'd believe it.

When tae-bo was big he came out with a video called "Cardio Tai Chi" It was the biggest abortion of a video ever. Guy was a di(k. Perhaps all his lying about the MA finally caught up with him and he felt guilty....or else Shannon Lee got to him.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

May David lead by Amitaba Buddha to the land of Bliss.

It's certainly sad for the family especially considering the circumstances, but I don't think Carradine deserves any special recognition for his 'role' in the CMA community but you know IKF and others are going to heap praise on the man & his 'legacy'. I don't care for it but he is a part of the western CMA historical landscape, unfortunately.

While the TV show Kung Fu was a landmark, Carradine was just an actor and his gaining the role in the Kung Fu series was evidence of Hollywood's sometimes not so subtle racism. Which still exists today, a Caucasian playing Goku! Jackie Chan inspite of his world wide success long before Hollywood is never given actual leading roles in his Hollywood films he's always buddied up with crap actors like Chris Tucker. Carradine was not the first in terms of Caucasians playing Asian roles but sadly the first in the landmark Kung Fu TV series role.

My opinion Carradine's family deserves some respect, he is little more then a footnote in the western world CMA landscape.
    Etiquette requires us to admire the human race.
    --Mark Twain

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
    --Mark Twain

Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant
    --Shaolinsky

according to his agent he died of natural causes and the hotel person who found him is lying......dont know whats going on or who to believe..but if david carradine would kill himself i believe he was have used a bottle of bourbon and a gun.not hang himself...say what you want about his was not p ussy...

Greetings..

Journey well, DC.. and, may those that speak ill of the dead soon follow..

I read the obit, and.. with stunning predictability Ross displays his mindless attention seeking commentary.. muzzle that cur, Gene..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    according to his agent he died of natural causes and the hotel person who found him is lying......dont know whats going on or who to believe..but if david carradine would kill himself i believe he was have used a bottle of bourbon and a gun.not hang himself...say what you want about his was not p ussy...
    I hope that is correct, suicide is a horrific thing for ones family to bear.
    I agree, DC was certainly not a ***** from what I remember.
    Sure he had issues with the bottle it seems, we ALL have inner demons that we fight with, but he was also on heck of a joker from what I gather,

I hope, for the sake of his family, it was natural causes.

Well...it seems that ....

BANGKOK -- Actor David Carradine, a born seeker and cult idol who broke through as the willing student called "grasshopper" in the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu" and decades later as leader of an assassin squad in "Kill Bill," was found dead Thursday in Thailand. Police said he appeared to have hanged himself.

The officer responsible for investigating the death, Teerapop Luanseng, said the 72-year-old actor was staying at a suite at the luxury Swissotel Nai Lert Park Hotel.

"I can confirm that we found his body, naked, hanging in the closet," Teerapop said. He said police suspected suicide.

A spokesman for the U.S. Embassy, Michael Turner, said the embassy was informed by Thai authorities that Carradine died either late Wednesday or early Thursday, but he could not provide further details out of consideration for his family...

Rest in peace kwai chang caine

Good or Bad David Carradine is a human being if you like him or not. Those of you who are being disrespectful probably do not realise the impact he had on alot of people studying "kung fu". Those of you who are stateing derogatory things should be barred from this forum as you know nothing about the true meaning of MA. While I believe in fredom of speech those of you who are spouting off probably did not personally know him at all. I started training after seeing the show Kung Fu and still watch it occasionally for fun. The Philosophy of what Kwai Chang stood for over rides the bad that you believe he did. If this is suicide then I am Bruce Lee. You A$$e$ that are disrespectful to the dead will end up the same way some day with no one to be there when you die. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !