Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Blast From the Past

Blast From the Past

William Cheung answering questions at his first NYC seminar back in February,1984. That's me facing the camera with the white sleeveless shirt that has a photo on it of William Cheung doing a bil jee strike...and about 40 seconds into it you'll see Robert Chu standing right behind me...and if you listen carefully the very first question on this clip comes from Phil Redmond...(and Phil's face does appear briefly as he faces the camera around 30 seconds in when William Cheung makes a joke about "chi rice").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJh8R...eature=related

I had forgotten what hair was...

Thanks Victor!

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    I had forgotten what hair was...

Thanks Victor!
    LMAO !!
    Ah the 80's, hey, at least it wasn't a flock of seaguls haircut, now that would have gotten you in some serious trouble Robert !

Now here's another one, and in this one I get to learn exactly what William Cheung thinks of the whole idea of "chi geak" (sticking legs). (Not much)

I volunteered to demonstrate what I had learned of it from Moy Yat - and William Cheung took the opportunity to explain to me (and the rest of those present) how useless it really all is as a drill, in his opinion.

I had to crack up when I saw this (for the first time, about 2 minutes ago) - had forgotten all about it.

Jeez, 25 years went by quickly !!

And once again, there's Robert Chu taking it all in as well. (And he still had his hair!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylBFr40bRAw&NR=1

It's too bad Cheung doesn't know what chi gerk is for.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Vic,

You didn't post the link...

I actually remember that day. I also thought many drills in WCK are useless - for example:

Pak Sao - no one stands at a fixed distance and lets you throw punches at them.

Dan Chi Sao - the distance is fixed, the other hand is chambered, I would not hit an opponent in the chest with a palm strike... the exercise is boring and unrealistic; Cross Hands Chi Sao is also equally lame

Luk Sao - Who the hell rolls like that in real life?

Tui Ma- pushing horse, Hands gripping an opponent's forearm, or hands behind the back...

Of course, William transcended all those exercises, and most of the exercises I described above were for people not experienced in anything at all.

So its not just Chi Gerk.

Chi Gerk will however, will teach you:

Bo Faat/Stepping – Moving the stance
    Bik Faat/Trapping – Trapping the opponent’s leg
    Gerk Faat/Striking – Use of the foot, knee, shin, thigh
    Jeet Faat/Intercepting – cutting off the opponent’s attack
    Jou Faat/Running – going away from the force
    Sou Faat/Sweeping – Destroying the opponent’s balance
    Chi Faat/Sticking – Moving with the opponent
    Mun Faat/Asking – Inquiring the next move
    Wu Faat/Protecting – Guarding the body and placement of the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    If you bother to look at the Cheung-Boztepe fight, you'll see for yourself why it is too bad he didn't know what chi gerk was for -- and why he ended up on his ass.

The link is there, Robert - on the bottom.

Thanks Victor.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Vic,

You didn't post the link...

I actually remember that day. I also thought many drills in WCK are useless - for example:

Pak Sao - no one stands at a fixed distance and lets you throw punches at them.

Dan Chi Sao - the distance is fixed, the other hand is chambered, I would not hit an opponent in the chest with a palm strike... the exercise is boring and unrealistic; Cross Hands Chi Sao is also equally lame

Luk Sao - Who the hell rolls like that in real life?

Tui Ma- pushing horse, Hands gripping an opponent's forearm, or hands behind the back...

Of course, William transcended all those exercises, and most of the exercises I described above were for people not experienced in anything at all.

So its not just Chi Gerk.

Chi Gerk will however, will teach you:

Bo Faat/Stepping – Moving the stance
    Bik Faat/Trapping – Trapping the opponent’s leg
    Gerk Faat/Striking – Use of the foot, knee, shin, thigh
    Jeet Faat/Intercepting – cutting off the opponent’s attack
    Jou Faat/Running – going away from the force
    Sou Faat/Sweeping – Destroying the opponent’s balance
    Chi Faat/Sticking – Moving with the opponent
    Mun Faat/Asking – Inquiring the next move
    Wu Faat/Protecting – Guarding the body and placement of the knee

***HAVE to disagree, strongly, Robert. About most of what you said here, in fact.

First of all, if you go to this link I'm about to provide...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8oiJ9zmGA

...instead of just watching that vid...click on the icon on the top right (my photo - and it says SifuParlati)...

and you will then see a listing of 17 vids I've put up...and start watching the chi sao series numbered 1-13...and watch them sequentially. (It starts with dan chi sao).

AND I APOLOGIZE FOR THE "NARROWNESS" OF THE VIDS...it seems that my student who posted them had a problem that he hasn't yet corrected with the proper "aspect ratio" needed to post vids the right way - and hence my 170 lbs. looks more like a matchstick man who weighs about 130. LOL.

But anyway, I intend to post many more vids in this series that demonstrate how to apply what one learns in chi sao (and other drills) to actual fighting/sparring...what I like to call how to TRANSLATE chi sao into fighting.

Here's an example of what I mean: there are also 4 other vids posted on my channel...and one of them is entitled: wing chun vs. straight lead punch...

In a future "chi sao translation" vid, I intend to explain and demo how and why I MIGHT NOT use the chuen sao (threading hand bil sao) that follows the pak sao in that vid about the straight punch, ie.- if the opponent's punching angle was ACROSS the line going to my left...

in which case to try and chuen off the pak would be foolishness...since THROUGH CHI SAO TRAINING I should be able to feel that his punch is across my "line"...and make that determination (and act accordingly) in a micro-second.

So I believe all the drills we're discussing have value, when the translations are understood - including chi geak.

If you watch the vid with myself and William Cheung, you'll notice that toward the end he agreed with me on the one point about using one of the positions/moves in chi geak against a kick coming in at you - but he (rightly) corrected me about what part of my leg to use.

NOW HERE'S THE BIGGER PROBLEM AS I SEE IT, ROBERT:

Too many wing chun people have never been taught high quality chi sao - as well as quality sparring/fighting translations of what they learn in chi sao (and other drills)...

and hence, they either wind up with a whole bunch of clueless ideas about how to use wing chun - or they come to the conclusion that things like forms, chi sao, and chi sao related drills are all useless - and they wind up throwing the baby out with the bathwater - including drills like dan chi sao, luk sao, cross arm chi sao, pak sao-pak da, bong sao-lop sao, etc.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 06-09-2009 at 12:35 PM.

So TWC does not have a Chi Gerk practice today?

No, there is no chi geak training in TWC.

Btw, did you see my post#11.

Also, Robert, you can see one such "translation" toward the end of chi sao vid part 6.

But as I said, I plan to do much more than that by way of translations.