Thread: Bieber v Cruise

Justin Bieber v Tom Cruise

Justin Bieber challenges Tom Cruise to bizarre MMA battle
    Published time: 10 Jun, 2019 13:09
    Edited time: 11 Jun, 2019 08:34

(L) © Reuters / Danny Moloshok; (R) © Reuters / Mike Theiler

Singer Justin Bieber has challenged actor Tom Cruise to an Octagon battle via a bizarrely taunting tweet. Then, in a peculiar plot twist, MMA legend Conor McGregor offered to host the star-studded fight.
    In what would be one of the strangest Hollywood showdowns in history, Bieber, 25, challenged the 56-year-old actor to a bout, boldly claiming the ‘Mission: Impossible’ star would “never live it down” if he denied the match.

While the ‘Sorry’ singer didn’t tag Cruise in the challenge, Bieber did tag UFC President Dana White to ask if he would be willing to “put on the fight.”

Justin Bieber

@justinbieber
    I wanna challenge Tom Cruise to fight in the octagon. Tom if you dont take this fight your scared and you will never live it down. Who is willing to put on the fight? @danawhite ?

5:34 PM - Jun 9, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    77K people are talking about this
    Never one to miss out on a PR opportunity, former UFC two-weight champion Conor McGregor chimed in to offer to host the fight if “Tom Cruise is man enough to accept.”

Conor McGregor

@TheNotoriousMMA
    If Tom Cruise is man enough to accept this challenge,
    McGregor Sports and Entertainment will host the bout.
    Does Cruise have the sprouts to fight, like he does in the movies?
    Stay tuned to find out!

Justin Bieber

@justinbieber
    I wanna challenge Tom Cruise to fight in the octagon. Tom if you dont take this fight your scared and you will never live it down. Who is willing to put on the fight? @danawhite ?

6:33 PM - Jun 9, 2019
    22.5K people are talking about this
    In what could soon turn out to be the most high-profile celebrity tournaments of all time, McGregor then posed his own challenge to actor Mark Walhberg to fight on the same card.

Conor McGregor

@TheNotoriousMMA
    I challenge Mark Walhberg on the very same card.
    Back when mark wahlberg was marky mark, I’d’ve still slapped the ears off him and took my ufc shares back.#Shares #Streams #Dazn #Espn
    McGregor Sports and Entertainment

6:47 PM - Jun 9, 2019
    4,636 people are talking about this
    It’s unknown what, if any, event sparked Bieber’s violent urge towards the renowned Scientologist. Either way, Cruise has yet to publicly respond to the challenge.
    I would pay-per-view this fight in a heartbeat.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

not sure if this is fake news anymore but...

...as an editor by trade, this made me laugh.

Round 1 goes to Cruise.
    by OctopussSevenTwo
    11 hr

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Spiner v Lansbury v Van Dyke

What

is

happening?!

Dick Van Dyke Vows to 'Defend' Angela Lansbury After Another Actor Challenges Her to a Fight
    Star Trek actor Brent Spiner initiated the challenge: "I would like to challenge Angela Lansbury to fight me in the octagon!"
    By JUSTIN CURTO
    June 11, 2019 02:10 PM

Move over, Justin Bieber — this is the fight we really want to see.

Legendary actor Dick Van Dyke tweeted that he will fight on behalf of Dame Angela Lansbury, the Murder, She Wrote icon, after Star Trek actor Brent Spiner hilariously challenged her to a fight.

“I would like to challenge Angela Lansbury to fight me in the octagon!” Spiner, 70, tweeted. “If you back down, Angela, you are scared. And everyone will know it! Who will put up the money for this?!!!”

“I will defend the honor of Dame Lansbury for free!!” Van Dyke, 93, replied. “The pier at the sundown!! Be there, if you dare!!” Lansbury, 93, is not on Twitter herself.

Brent Spiner

@BrentSpiner
    I would like to challenge Angela Lansbury to fight me in the octagon! If you back down, Angela, you are scared. And everyone will know it! Who will put up the money for this?!!!

11:01 AM - Jun 10, 2019
    2,803 people are talking about this
    Brent Spiner

@BrentSpiner
    · Jun 10, 2019
    I would like to challenge Angela Lansbury to fight me in the octagon! If you back down, Angela, you are scared. And everyone will know it! Who will put up the money for this?!!!
    Dick Van Dyke

@iammrvandy
    I will defend the honor of Dame Lansbury for free!! The pier at the sundown!! Be there, if you dare!!

4:19 PM - Jun 10, 2019
    367 people are talking about this
    Spiner called off the challenge after Van Dyke stepped in. “I give up!” he later tweeted.

Dick Van Dyke

@iammrvandy
    · 20h
    Replying to @BrentSpiner
    I will defend the honor of Dame Lansbury for free!! The pier at the sundown!! Be there, if you dare!!
    Brent Spiner

@BrentSpiner
    I give up!

4:23 PM - Jun 10, 2019
    48 people are talking about this

The joke started after Bieber, 25, randomly challenged actor Tom Cruise to a fight on Twitter Sunday. The “Sorry” singer tagged UFC president Dana White in his own tweet.

“I wanna challenge Tom Cruise to fight in the octagon. Tom if you dont take this fight your scared and you will never live it down. Who is willing to put on the fight? @danawhite ?”

Justin Bieber

@justinbieber

79K people are talking about this
    Cruise, 56, has yet to respond, although UFC champion Conor McGregor offered to host their fight. “If Tom Cruise is man enough to accept this challenge, McGregor Sports and Entertainment will host the bout,” the Irish athlete, 30, tweeted. “Does Cruise have the sprouts to fight, like he does in the movies? Stay tuned to find out!”

Conor McGregor

@TheNotoriousMMA
    Stay tuned to find out!
    Justin Bieber

@justinbieber

6:33 PM - Jun 9, 2019
    22.8K people are talking about this
    McGregor then took his opportunity to call out Transformers actor Mark Wahlberg for a fight of his own.

“I challenge Mark Walhberg on the very same card,” he tweeted. “Back when mark wahlberg was marky mark, I’d’ve still slapped the ears off him and took my ufc shares back.” Wahlberg, 48, has also not replied.

Conor McGregor

@TheNotoriousMMA
    Back when mark wahlberg was marky mark, I’d’ve still slapped the ears off him and took my ufc shares back.#Shares #Streams #Dazn #Espn

4,688 people are talking about this
    Lansbury is the first non-action star to be challenged to a fight. The actress is known for her work on movies, TV and theater, starring in the 1962 film The Manchurian Candidate and playing the titular role in the 1974 Broadway revival of Gypsy.

She most recently appeared in Mary Poppins Returns alongside Dyke.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

He'd probably whoop my a** in a fight

Good to see the Biebs come clean. Dad strength rules!

Justin Bieber Says Tom Cruise Fight Challenge Was Just a Joke: 'He'd Probably Whoop My A**'
    By Antoinette Bueno* 1:26 PM PDT, June 12, 2019

Getty
    Justin Bieber says he wasn't being serious when he boldly challenged Tom Cruise to an MMA fight on Monday.

Paparazzi spoke with the 25-year-old singer on Wednesday in Los Angeles, and he said he was "just playing" when asked about the fight. Bieber said he recently saw an interview with Cruise, which is how the tweet came about.

"It was just a random tweet," he said with a smile in a video published on TMZ. "I just do that stuff sometimes."

Bieber also had no problem acknowledging that he'd probably lose in a fight with the 56-year-old actor, who's known for doing his own stunts.

"He'd probably whoop my a** in a fight," Bieber cracked. "I'd have to get in some good shape. I'm really skinny right now. I think he would be out of my weight class. He's big, you know? He's got that dad strength."

Bieber raised eyebrows on Monday when he tweeted, "I wanna challenge Tom Cruise to fight in the octagon. Tom if you dont take this fight your scared and you will never live it down. Who is willing to put on the fight? @danawhite?"

Justin Bieber

@justinbieber

83.2K people are talking about this
    While Cruise didn't respond, former UFC champion Conor McGregor was enthusiastic about the potential fight.

"If Tom Cruise is man enough to accept this challenge, McGregor Sports and Entertainment will host the bout," McGregor tweeted. "Does Cruise have the sprouts to fight, like he does in the movies? Stay tuned to find out!"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That Beebs n Cruise tweet is gold Gene! Gold!!
    I stole it and posted it on sit on my facebook.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Dana chimes in with a TMZ vid...

This totally deserves its own indie Bieber v Cruise thread, separate from the Celebrities doing MMA one.

TMZSports.com
    EXCLUSIVE
    UFC'S DANA WHITE
    TOM CRUISE VS. BIEBER FIGHT
    IT COULD HAPPEN!!!

6/19/19 12:30 AM PDT

Don't rule out a Justin Bieber vs. Tom Cruise fight in the UFC ... so says Dana White who tells TMZ Sports there's a very REAL chance the two could actually throw down in the Octagon.

After 25-year-old Bieber tagged the UFC president in a twitter post last week calling out 56-year-old Tom Cruise, White says he blew it off initially ... until he got some phone calls from "real guys" connected to the superstars.

Dana wouldn't say who he spoke with but was clear they're legit -- and they told Dana both Tom and Justin "really wanna do this fight and they believe that Tom Cruise would do the fight."

"I told them that if that's true -- and everybody involved really wants to do it -- we can talk."

In fact, White says if there's real interest from both stars "I'd be an IDIOT not to make this fight!"

And, to all the doubters, Dana says he didn't think there was a chance Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor would ever evolve into a real fight ... but that happened, right?!

Remember, Justin Bieber has trained with Floyd -- who once said the singer has enough fighting talent to be a pro boxer.

And, Tom Cruise was a star wrestler in high school -- and has a reputation for being one of the toughest actors in Hollywood who's been doing his own stunts for decades.

So, if they do agree to a fight ... it could be very interesting.

White adds, "That would be the easiest fight to promote in the history of my career."

After sending the tweet, Bieber said the whole thing was a joke ... but hey, people can change their minds.

Stay tuned ...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

stay tuned...

UFC Daily
    · June 19 ·

Dana White says he has been told that Tom Cruise is interested in fighting Justin Bieber after the pop star called out the actor recently.

UFC president White said he would be willing to put the fight on in the UFC saying he would be an “idiot” not to be involved.

I'm still hoping for Spiner v Lansbury v Van Dyke.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This just keeps delivering...

...gotta hand it to the Biebs. Way to go viral.

JUSTIN BIEBER CONFRONTED BY FAKE IVAN DRAGO
    ... Forget Tom, Fight Me!!!
    6/21/2019 6:40 AM PDT
    EXCLUSIVE

Fake Ivan Drago tried to pick a fight with Justin Bieber in front of Craig's last night -- showing up to the restaurant in FULL BOXING GEAR ... and we got the whole thing on video!!!

The wannabe Russian was SERIOUS about trying to fight Justin -- he's the same guy who showed up to Logan Paul's home a few weeks ago to challenge the YouTube star to a fight.

Remember, Logan actually AGREED and the two threw down right in Paul's back yard.

The fake-Drago is an aspiring social media star ... but it's clear he'll do ANYTHING for clout.

So with Justin trying to get an MMA fight with Tom Cruise. the imposter-Ivan planned to call out Bieber first at Craig's where he waited for JB at the front door, pounding his chest and talking trash.

Bieber blew him off ... so, he stuck around for a few hours waiting for a second crack at the pop star -- but that didn't pan out either.

Bieber clearly knows his worth (and his weight class) ... he could make MILLIONS if the Tom Cruise fight comes to fruition -- so why give out hands for free on the street?!

As for doppelganger-Drago ... he'll continue to seek out other famous people to fight.

We hear Mike Tyson's in town!!!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tarnish its name...

MMA, boxing, whatev. It's the fight game. It's always got some tarnish.

The UFC will tarnish its name forever if it goes ahead with the Justin Bieber vs. Tom Cruise farce
    Alan Dawson 9h

Justin Bieber, Dana White, and Tom Cruise. Getty Images
    Opinion banner

The Justin Bieber and Tom Cruise UFC fight rumor refuses to go away.

The UFC president Dana White even gave the bizarre bout his seal of approval when he said he had a mystery phone call about it.

He said he'd be "an idiot not to make this fight" and that the UFC was willing to hold talks to make it happen.

Bieber vs. Cruise in a charity format would be fun, if not weird. But the moment UFC slaps its name over it, its name would be tarnished forever.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen, as the fight game is riddled with sideshows, and this may well be the next circus in an already absurd industry.

The UFC has thrown its weight behind the Justin Bieber vs. Tom Cruise spectacle, turning the whole thing into a farce that would only tarnish its acronym, name, and brand-value around the world.

It all started with a single tweet when the Grammy-award-winning singer Bieber said on June 10 that he wanted to fight Tom Cruise in a UFC Octagon, telling the Hollywood hard man he'd "never live it down" if he refused. Bieber even tagged UFC President Dana White in the post, asking if he was willing to organize the event.

The tweet has so far attracted 40,000 comments, 45,000 retweets, and 226,000 likes and has dominated news sites, helped, no doubt, by fight star Conor McGregor's apparent interest in wanting to play a part.

Conor McGregor

@TheNotoriousMMA

4,812 people are talking about this
    Though Bieber backtracked a few days later, saying it was "just a random tweet," it seemingly did not perturb White from pouncing on a potential business opportunity.

White told TMZ that he'd be "an idiot not to make this fight," adding that he had a mystery phone call from people wanting to help make the fight, that Cruise himself wanted it, and that the UFC was willing to hold talks to make it happen.

Really, we shouldn't be surprised, because combat sports history is littered with circus events.

Boxing booth owner Alf Weston challenges locals to fight his boxer, Santos Martin.Photo by Charles Hewitt/Getty Images

Decades ago, "boxing booths" were commonplace because of the appeal in challenging a trained athlete and maybe even winning in front of your friends and family in your hometown. A booth fighter would travel throughout Britain with the fairground, accepting challenges from eager locals in front of flabbergasted crowds.

If a punter could last three rounds with the booth fighter, they'd win a prize. Step right up, if you dared.

Boxing booth fighter Santos Martin pummels a poor punter.Photo by Charles Hewitt/Picture Post/Hulton Archive/Getty Images

Boxing booths are rare these days, but carnival-type fights still run rife.

This was perhaps never more apparent than when former circus strongman Primo Carnera, a lumbering giant who bystanders said stunk of garlic, won the world heavyweight boxing title thanks to the mafia in 1933.

He didn't know at the time, but Canera was backed by the colorfully-named gangsters of his day, and they threatened or bribed his opponents so that they'd lose on purpose.

Primo Carnera.Photo by J. A. Hampton/Topical Press Agency/Getty Images

Even though the sport has moved on since Carnera, the fight game still loves really weird things, which helps explain the wildly popular fight YouTube rivals Logan Paul and KSI clumsily contested, looking every bit the competitive novices they were in a six-round draw in 2018.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Steve-O

Steve-O just wants to coattail on this viral media trend...

Steve-O Wants Justin Bieber To Fight Him And Not Tom Cruise
    BY : EMILY BROWN ON : 30 JUN 2019 15:12

PA/Flirkcr

If Tom Cruise isn’t up for a fight against Justin Bieber then Steve-O is more than willing to take on the challenge after he revealed he was ‘sick of being overlooked’ as an opponent.

Much to everyone’s surprise, the singer pitched the idea of a fight on Twitter earlier this month, when he tagged UFC President Dana White and said he wanted to challenge Cruise in the Octagon.

However, in a turn of events which is admittedly just as random as Bieber’s original tweet, the ******* star said he should be the one to take on Bieber, rather than Cruise.

Bieber didn’t hold back on the trash-talk in his tweet to Cruise, which read:

I wanna challenge Tom Cruise to fight in the octagon. Tom if you dont take this fight your [sic] scared and you will never live it down. Who is willing to put on the fight? @danawhite ?

Justin Bieber

@justinbieber

17:34 - 9 Jun 2019
    Twitter Ads information and privacy
    85.3K people are talking about this
    However, TMZ report he later admitted he was joking and that the Mission Impossible star would probably ‘whoop [his] ass.’

Still, White was hopeful the fight would go ahead, telling TMZ Sports ‘weirder things have happened’.

Getty

Cruise might get beaten to the punch – pun intended – however, as Steve-O called out Bieber, saying he’d chosen the wrong opponent.

According to TMZ, the ******* star explained:

I’m sick of being overlooked for my potential as a cage fighter!

I think you’ve been picking a fight with the wrong guy. Tom Cruise might be 56, but, hey, I’m 45!

View image on Twitter

Steve-O

@steveo
    Before I turn 45 tomorrow, I want to say thanks to 44 for being a great year!

10:31 - 12 Jun 2019
    319 people are talking about this
    Steve-O met up with White to express his thoughts and the UFC President reportedly agreed he could be the one to enter the octagon if Cruise refused the offer.

The 45-year-old said:

I had a little chat with Dana White. And he agreed that if Tom Cruise doesn’t step up, and someone needs to fill the cage with Justin Bieber, then I’m the guy.

We shook on it, me and Dana White.

PA

While Bieber might be more youthful than Steve-O, the actor pointed out he can ‘take a serious beating’, which we know to be true if his ******* stunts are anything to go by.

Who do you want to see in the Octagon?

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to story@unilad.com.

Emily Brown
    Emily Brown first began delivering important news stories aged just 13, when she launched her career with a paper round. She graduated with a BA Hons in English Language in the Media from Lancaster University, and went on to become a freelance writer and blogger. Emily contributed to The Sunday Times Travel Magazine and Student Problems before becoming a journalist at UNILAD, where she works on breaking news as well as longer form features.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm enjoying all this martial viral attention...

...even if it's the Biebs...

Justin Bieber Calls Out Tom Cruise In Bottle Cap Challenge
    BY : EMILY BROWN ON : 08 JUL 2019 09:11

Justin Bieber bottle cap challengeJustin Bieber/Instagram

After a failed attempt at coercing him into a fight, Justin Bieber decided to try and get Tom Cruise to take on the bottle cap challenge.

The singer first put forward a proposition last month, when, out of the blue, he tagged UFC President Dana White and said he wanted to challenge Cruise in the Octagon.

Unfortunately the Mission Impossible star didn’t take Bieber up on the offer, so the 25-year-old decided to go down a different route.

He completely smashed the bottle cap challenge on Instagram and nominated Cruise to go next:

After suggesting the fight and laying on the trash-talk towards Cruise on Twitter, TMZ report Bieber later admitted he was joking and that the actor would probably ‘whoop [his] ass.’

ADVERTISING

His original tweet read:

Justin Bieber

@justinbieber

17:34 - 9 Jun 2019
    85.7K people are talking about this
    However there’s obviously some part of the singer which still wants to best Cruise and the bottle cap challenge is certainly a less violent way to try and go about that.

Though, Bieber did say ‘this could be Tom Cruise’s head’ before kicking the bottle cap into oblivion, so I guess he’s not afraid to get physical.

Justin Bieber/Instagram

On the off chance you’ve so far managed to avoid seeing any bottle cap challenge-related videos, allow me to explain. The viral challenge encourages people to get the cap off a bottle without unscrewing it with their hands. Most people have opted to kick the cap off, though Mariah Carey used her voice to get the job done.

Check out Ryan Reynolds’ attempt here:

It’s not clear why Bieber is encouraging this apparent rivalry with Cruise but at least it’s entertaining for us to witness. Admittedly it would be much more entertaining if Cruise got involved, though.

In the caption of the video, the What Do You Mean singer said he nominated his wife Hailey as well as Cruise. Unfortunately the actor doesn’t appear to have an official Instagram account, so we’ll have to rely on word of mouth to get the message to him.

PA

I can’t imagine the bottle cap challenge would be too taxing for Cruise, given all the intricate stunts he’s performed in the past, but we’ll have to just wait and see if he decides to take it on!

If he does, we’d have to hope it would go better than Ryan Reynolds’ attempt.
    THREADS
    #bottlecapchallenge
    Justin Bieber v Tom Cruise
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2020!

Published 15 hours ago
    Justin Bieber says he can beat Tom Cruise in a fight, calls himself 'the Conor McGregor of entertainment'
    By Nate Day | Fox News

Justin Bieber is ready for a showdown.

In June of 2019, the "Yummy" singer took to Twitter to challenge Tom Cruise to a "fight in the octagon," saying the movie star "will never live it down" should he not engage.

Just days later, Bieber, now 25, admitted that his challenge was in jest.

Justin Bieber

@justinbieber

4:34 PM - Jun 9, 2019
    82.3K people are talking about this
    “It was just a random tweet. I do that stuff sometimes,” Bieber told TMZ at the time. “I think he would probably whoop my a-- in a fight. He’s got that dad strength.”

However, during a recent appearance on James Corden's "Carpool Karaoke" segment of "The Late Late Show," the singer walked back his previous statements, claiming he could beat the 57-year-old actor in a fight.

When Corden told Bieber he'd bet that Cruise would win in a fight, Bieber said that "there's absolutely no way" that would be the case.

"He's not the guy you see in movies," the singer explained. "That's a character. [Being in] phenomenal shape doesn't mean you're a good fighter."

When Corden insisted that Cruise would be victorious, Bieber clapped back.

"You're mesmerized by the characters that he's playing," Bieber said. "I'm telling you ... I'm dangerous. My agility is crazy. My agility is insane."

He added: "I'm the Conor McGregor of entertainment."

Conor McGregor

@TheNotoriousMMA
    Stay tuned to find out! https://twitter.com/justinbieber/sta...80621848584193

Justin Bieber

@justinbieber
    5:33 PM - Jun 9, 2019
    21.7K people are talking about this
    After Bieber's initial challenge, McGregor, a professional mixed martial artist, offered to host the fight.

"If Tom Cruise is man enough to accept this challenge, McGregor Sports and Entertainment will host the bout," tweeted the 31-year-old athlete. "Does Cruise have the sprouts to fight, like he does in the movies? Stay tuned to find out!"
    If I was a movie star like Cruise, I wouldn't even be bothered. McGregor questions his sprouts? Dude, check out Tom's ex-wives.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips