Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Gina Carano vs Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos Strikeforce 8/15/9

The main events

Carano vs. Cyborg was plagued by several last-minute drop outs but Strikeforce still managed to put together some good fights for the night.

Fabricio “Vai Cavallo’’ Werdum def. Mike Kyle RD1 @ 1:24 with a textbook guillotine.
    This bout was originally on the undercard but was swapped with Hieron vs. Taylor. That wound up being a good call. Hieron vs. Taylor was mostly wrestling and the audience was getting bored and booing. The decisive guillotine was a beautiful move and far more exciting.

Gilbert “El Nino” Melendez def. Mitsuhiro “Endless Fighter’’ Ishida RD3 @ 3:56 TKO
    Melendez has always been a great puncher and was tossing out some powerful blows, but not really putting together many combos. Ishida was a classic Japanese judo player who beat Melendez early in his career, but was just getting out gunned. By RD, Ishida's ear was bleeding pretty dramatically and El Nino worked that ear with some very targeted shots. By the 3rd, it was Melendez on top with the B&G from behind and Ishida could no longer respond.

Gegard “The Dreamcatcher” Mousasi def. of Renato “Babalu” Sobral RD1 @ 1:00 TKO
    I totally called this fight wrong. Sobral had the crowd. He entered the cage all smiles and was clearly pumped up. Mousasi looked disengaged and detached. When he entered, his chin seemed too high, too open. But this was no TKO, despite what the officials said. It was a total KO, but Sobral was already down so he had nowhere to fall. Mousasi drilled him with shots once Sobral fell. You clearly could see that moment when he caught Sobral on the button and it was lights out. Sobral's limbs go straight and limp; his eyes just glaze. It was a beautiful shot and a big disappointment for the crowd (but not the biggest obviously). Mousasi didn't even break a sweat.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Carano vs. Cyborg

Attendance was strong at HP with 13,524 in the house. And it was loud, all in favor of Gina. For a moment, I felt bad for Cyborg. She's a great fighter obviously, relentlessly brutal like so many that have come from legendary Chute Boxe Academy. But she's not pretty, especially when juxtaposed with Gina and faces a language barrier. She was the perfect villain and the audience went for it, screaming out all sorts of cat calls about her having male genitalia (I'm cleaning that up - the cat calls were much more graphic - such is pro sports). Those probably rolled off her since she doesn't speak English, but there's no way she could miss the roar in favor of Gina and the boos directed at her.

You've seen the fight by now. It was a great fight. There wasn't a dull moment in it. There was no sizing up, no dancing about, no catching your breath. Two fighters in an explosive exchange - all MMA should be so exciting.

As for Gina's loss, she now joins the ranks of other media darlings like Danica Patrick or even Michelle Wie. The camera eats these ladies up. We want them to win just because they're hot and talented. The 4:59 call by the ref received so many jeers. When it happened, at first I wasn't sure if she made it to the bell or not. But once Cyborg made her victory salute, you could feel the energy of the crowd drop like a stone. I'm guessing she couldn't have rallied even if she made it to that bell. She was too slow to get up and there isn't much time between rounds. At least Cyborg didn't break that beautiful face. Gina took some shots for sure, but she looked relatively intact beyond a monster shiner.

So what does Gina do next? I can't see her going back to American Gladiators now. If she's going back in the cage, she needs to go through Cyborg to continue in MMA. Will she? Time will tell. Maybe she should look into Dancing with the Stars. If so, I'll be her partner.

As for Cyborg's win, she's an awesome fighter, no doubt about it. I look forward to when another woman emerges that can challenge her skills. If not Gina, who could that be?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gina deserved to lose when she gave up full mount for the second time.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

have afelling gina may just flake out and stop fighting
    oh well ill take care of her fellas!

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Honestly its not the end of the world for Gina or her MMA career. Sometimes losing is one of the best things that can happen to a fighter.

On that night she was outclassed by Santos. But Cyborg was hardly perfect herself. She's not COMPLETELY out of Gina's league. But Gina is going to really have to put herself into her training and be hungry, like Cyborg was. That in my opinion has always been her main issue. Which is funny considering her nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    So what does Gina do next?
    there's always TCMA...

Seriously guys, Gina got beat by a better fighter that night, which happens to every single fighter, with a few exceptions of course.
    It was as if she didn't train enough or anything like that, she just got beat by a better fighter.

I'm hoping TCMA

Gina would look so hot in one of these.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

****** Gene, LESS clothes, not MORE. I can't go from seeing those legs in shorts to not seeing them at all.

Maybe a small Got Qi shirt . . .
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I think that we need a new "Gene Ching's Fetishes" forum...

why not this instead?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    why not this instead?
    i vote for this one lol

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

How about some weigh in Pictures

These are some photos I shot for the weigh in on Friday. I shot some of the boys, too. But who cares about those?

One last Pic

I had one more

The bottom line

Record-breaking viewer ratings.
    Carano-Santos a ratings hit
    By Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports 15 hours, 25 minutes ago

The Gina Carano-Cris “Cyborg” Santos match in San Jose on Saturday night was obviously going to be the biggest women’s mixed martial arts match ever in the U.S. And by every indication, those who were critical of putting women in the main event have to eat crow.

After a weekend when Carano and Cyborg were the No. 1 most searched subjects on Yahoo!, No. 2 on Google, and the most discussed topic on Twitter on Saturday night, the key number, the television ratings, was record breaking.

The Showtime broadcast of Santos’ first-round victory over Carano did a 2.2 rating with an average of 576,000 viewers, between 10:30 p.m. and 12:15 a.m. ET. The abbreviated show included three first-round stoppages in four televised matches. Both numbers broke the Showtime records set on Feb. 16, 2008, a 1.9 rating and 522,000 viewers for an Elite XC card headlined by Tank Abbott vs. Kimbo Slice. It also more than doubled the 275,000 viewers drawn on Strikeforce’s last major show on June 6.

Saturday’s bout was sloppy at times. It did not have the all-around skill level of top-level men’s matches, but when it came to excitement and crowd appeal, it was a huge success.

The crowd of 13,976, one of the largest non-UFC crowds in MMA history, reacted with every bit of passion as they did for Frank Shamrock’s fights with Cung Le and Phil Baroni in the same arena, which finished high in most MMA match of the year awards the past two years.

The event was promoted as a historical event. It was the first woman’s main event on a major MMA show, the first woman’s main event for any fighting event on Showtime, and the crowning of the first major promotion women’s champion.

The crowd was slightly different from the usual group that attends Strikeforce events in San Jose. There were more couples and more women in general than for most MMA events.

The Carano vs. Santos main event itself did a 2.9 rating and 856,000 viewers, adding 17 percent over the audience from the preceding Gegard Mousasi vs. Renato Sobral light heavyweight title match. Those numbers were far ahead of any MMA match ever on the network.

Also impressive is that the card did these numbers on a short show, as MMA events on television generally will draw better when they are longer, because the pattern is people will find out about the show and stick with it, and a longer show has a higher ratings advantage.

From a ratings standpoint, which throws out the obvious advantage a show on Spike or CBS would have because they are seen in more homes than Showtime, the match was not close to a ratings record-setting event for the sport. But it was the highest rating for an MMA match or event in the U.S. this year, even though as far as total audience, any first-run UFC television show on Spike will have more actual viewers.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship countered Strikeforce by putting the biggest show in its history, a replay of UFC 100 from July 11, on Spike TV. Being available in far more homes than Showtime, the UFC event did a 1.5 rating and 2 million viewers for the Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir fight. The numbers were significantly lower than UFC 91 drew for its replay with Lesnar vs. Randy Couture when it went up against an Affliction show in January. The decision to air the show wasn’t made until a few days prior, and there was significantly less advertising for this show as compared to Lesnar vs. Couture. The taped UFC event drew more males in the 18-34 age demographic than any live sporting event on Saturday.

The question is whether this unique match was a one-time phenomenon for women in the sport, or, like UFC when it hit big four years ago, something that will springboard the women’s side to greater popularity.

There is little question it was the personalities, or maybe more accurately, one of the personalities, Carano’s, which drove the event.

UFC has shown with every major star, like Randy Couture, Georges St. Pierre, Forrest Griffin, Brock Lesnar and Chuck Liddell, that fighters who become stars, don’t seem to lose marketing appeal with a loss. In fact, even with a series of losses like Liddell has suffered in recent fights, he pulled much higher numbers on pay-per-view for his most recent fight in April than he did his prior fight in September.

The idea that because the sport was built on Carano, that with one loss, it’s over, is ridiculous, even though those comments have been echoed in the past few days. You can make an argument that just being part of such a major event made her a bigger star, even in losing.

Santos, on the other hand, is a much bigger star. She has a crowd-pleasing all-out style reminiscent of a prime Wanderlei Silva, with whom she is often compared. Both came from the same gym, the Chute Boxe Academy in Curatiba, Brazil.

Will Santos draw similar numbers without Carano as her opponent? That’s unlikely. She probably won’t be able to singularly main event and carry a show on her back, but only a handful of people in the sport can, and it’s an unfair standard to expect from her. But a more fair comparison is will she, against Marloes Coenen, her next likely opponent, be able to garner the level of interest a man like Jake Shields, Robbie Lawler or Nick Diaz in a similar spot on the card can do? The jury is out, but based on her exposure, the odds are strongly in her favor.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips